• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

UNAUTHORIZED DISPOSAL OF COMBAT UNIFORMS AND EQUIPMENT

Overwatch Downunder said:
On the version I had, the small standard buttons on the pockets of the jacket and trousers (even on the belt loops) were the modern slotted type, and were identical to what was on the OG107s a la early 80's.

That was the second batch to hit the shops. The OG version followed the same sequence - civvy pattern sewn-on buttons first, and slotted buttons on the later ones. I have one of each type of DPM shirts, and one pair of the later version of the trousers.

Overwatch Downunder said:
Perhaps there was a mixture of aftermarket and ealier, 'TZ' DPM 107 patt at one time?

I don't believe that any of this was ever intended for the Tanzanians, given the amount of it available, and that it was produced in OG107 and DPM simultaneously, with two types of buttons, and simplified (no mag pockets in the lower cargo pockets, nylon lining and pen pocket in the upper pockets, inner shirt pocket, or military style label). I have never seen the original Tanzanian stuff, but I would guess that it was made from British fabric.

Sorry if I offend reactivating an old thread but I believe this may be the image that Overwatch Down Under was referring to:
tanz_75.jpg

Tanzanian army soldiers on parade wearing the Canadian made Mark II combat uniform in late 1974 or early 1975. Officers wear Sam Browne belts with swords, the Other Ranks are armed with SKS 45 type rifles.

A moderatly large quantity of hats, shirt/coats and trousers were produced by Peerless Garments Limited in the mid 1970s for the Tanzanian Army. These were identical in construction and design to the Canadian OG107 Mark II Combat uniform, but had a modified British DPM camouflage pattern printed on the material.
Details are lacking, but it appears that some of these uniforms were also issued for limited trials by the Canadian army.
ex_cmbt1.jpg

Detail of added camouflage material on a 1976 production combat shirt. It is possible this was part of a stitching and wearability trial.
ex_cmbt2.jpg

Production label on the above shirt.
ex_cmbt3.jpg

Sample section of the Tanzanian pattern camouflage pattern printed on standard Canadian nylon/cotton Combat uniform material.
cdn_ex_70s.jpg

Example of the Tanzanian Pattern Combat shirt from a private collection (Ed S.)
cdn_ex_80s.jpg

I believe this is the 1980s trial version in a brighter green that was trialled in Gagetown. According to research by ED S. the set consisted of a cap, shirt/coat and trousers. This pattern was evidently also trialed by 4 Brigade in Germany. At the conclusion of the trials most of the material was destroyed.
<p>

I just spent a full couple of hours reading this article, and I agree.  Unfortunately, someone "turned" me in for selling CADPAT recce smock that I bought legally from the kit shop.  Because it was authentic material, I was flagged.  I also sold a GPS (Garmin) that I won in KAF on the Timmies contest, and was flagged for that as well.  I agree that it was the right thing to do, speak up that is, but I got screwed over because someone had a personal vendetta against me, and I know who it is.  What I did was not illegal, but the MP's involved should have used their heads for something other than a hat rack.

A kit shop had a CADPAT Recce smock made out of the "authentic" material?  The stuff with the IR properties?  Maybe they should have been reported.  IIRC, no one is allowed to use the "authentic" material and very few (CP Gear comes to mind) have been granted use of the pattern itself.

Moe, I'm not sure on this but I think amastermason is talking about the smock made by Drop Zone. I think they were one of the companies allowed to use the real deal.

COBRA-6 said:
Moe, I'm not sure on this but I think amastermason is talking about the smock made by Drop Zone. I think they were one of the companies allowed to use the real deal.
Good enough.  Thanks for the info.

Edit to add:  Re: MCG's reply.  That's exactly what I thought.  Whew, for a second there, I thought I was wrong!!  :eek:  ;)  Perhaps Drop Zone was one of the companies authorized to use the pattern as opposed to the real material.

COBRA-6 said:
No company has been granted this permission for the making of clothing except those uniforms sold to DND.
If a company is doing this, the product is pirated and the company risks loosing the permision for whatever products it was authorized.

XMP said:
Sorry if I offend reactivating an old thread but I believe this may be the image that Overwatch Down Under was referring to:
tanz_75.jpg

Tanzanian army soldiers on parade wearing the Canadian made Mark II combat uniform in late 1974 or early 1975. Officers wear Sam Browne belts with swords, the Other Ranks are armed with SKS 45 type rifles.

A moderatly large quantity of hats, shirt/coats and trousers were produced by Peerless Garments Limited in the mid 1970s for the Tanzanian Army. These were identical in construction and design to the Canadian OG107 Mark II Combat uniform, but had a modified British DPM camouflage pattern printed on the material.
Details are lacking, but it appears that some of these uniforms were also issued for limited trials by the Canadian army.
ex_cmbt1.jpg

Detail of added camouflage material on a 1976 production combat shirt. It is possible this was part of a stitching and wearability trial.
ex_cmbt2.jpg

Production label on the above shirt.
ex_cmbt3.jpg

Sample section of the Tanzanian pattern camouflage pattern printed on standard Canadian nylon/cotton Combat uniform material.
cdn_ex_70s.jpg

Example of the Tanzanian Pattern Combat shirt from a private collection (Ed S.)
cdn_ex_80s.jpg

I believe this is the 1980s trial version in a brighter green that was trialled in Gagetown. According to research by ED S. the set consisted of a cap, shirt/coat and trousers. This pattern was evidently also trialed by 4 Brigade in Germany. At the conclusion of the trials most of the material was destroyed.
<p>

Excuse the Thread-Jack:  Hero Army Surplus has a few of the CAR-badged DPM Jumpsmocks in Size 3,  $70, I think

The threadjack is excused, presuming that you are not the owner of Hero Army Surplus, wherever they are, but please do not include a bunch of photographs that have already been posted in your response next time.

Thank-you.

It actually was authentic material, I don't know the in's and out's of it, but it was real.  As for the legallity of it all, I'll leave that up to people who get paid to deal with it.  Some people worry too much about what we're wearing, not the  mission involved.

I turned in a supply tech who was selling cadpat uniforms and tacvests that he was helping himself to at work and turning around to sell.
Sucks that someone tried to skunk you (did you deal with that situation?) but sometimes people get reported for legit reasons too.

ok, this is disgusting..  just as a test i dropped "CADPAT" into the ebay search, and wow.. a metric but load of sellers.. most of the stuff is from either Quebec, or BC..

one company out of bc is selling one of the cadpat small pack, with all the bits..

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Canadian-Forces-CADPAT-Small-Pack-Complete-/170508428952?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item27b3182698

now, is that a legit piece of kit(IE out of stores) or is it a piece that never passed qa?

Lone Wolf AT said:
Looks legit to me.

'Tis so; fresh out of the clear plastic bag the assembly was issued in --- CTS tag and all.

:mad:

So is the arid cadpat showing up as being in "the store" too.

We ship worldwide and accept Paypal to confirmed addresses. Canadian residents add 5% GST, BC residents add 7% PST. Please wait for invoice before paying with paypal.

Right..... I'm sure the government gets the money that he 'collects' for taxes.

He is openly in business. He has to submit his records for tax purposes. The government is rather serious about such things. That he is selling restricted items openly is another matter. Either he has legitimate sources (slim chance, but not impossible) or nobody officially cares to go after him.

Loachman said:
...or nobody officially cares to go after him.

I gave the MP's at my base a pile of PM's and posts from a fellow on a webforum whom was quite clearly selling restricted items he had pilfered from supply @ CFB Petawawa (he confirmed as such in his pm's to me) back in 2004. Initially my evidence was greeted with enthusiasm and thanks, but then a week later I went back for a scheduled followup appt and a MP Sgt told me "here's your stuff back, we're not going to do anything with it as the problem is just too big."

At that point I stopped caring.

Kokanee said:
I gave the MP's at my base a pile of PM's and posts from a fellow on a webforum whom was quite clearly selling restricted items he had pilfered from supply @ CFB Petawawa (he confirmed as such in his pm's to me) back in 2004. Initially my evidence was greeted with enthusiasm and thanks, but then a week later I went back for a scheduled followup appt and a MP Sgt told me "here's your stuff back, we're not going to do anything with it as the problem is just too big."

At that point I stopped caring.

Really pisses you off when that happens doesn't it!  Seen it happen in Pet on other occasions, in other circumstances, in other sections. 

Back