• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Unaccompanied to Halifax

Underway

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
So I'm posted to Halifax and going unaccompanied at least until my kids and wife get their work/school sorted.  So standard stuff right, call the base accomidation, apply and get single quarters right?  Nope.  Apparently, Russell House doesn't do single quarters or any form of live in anymore.  Of course, they tell me this a week before I'm supposed to arrive.

Given this fact does anyone here have recommendations where I can find semi-permanent lodgings in Halifax near the base on short notice?  I'll get subsidized hotel for at least the first week from Brookfield but after that I'm on my own (with the standard unaccompanied benifits).

Underway said:
So I'm posted to Halifax and going unaccompanied at least until my kids and wife get their work/school sorted.  So standard stuff right, call the base accomidation, apply and get single quarters right?  Nope.  Apparently, Russell House doesn't do single quarters or any form of live in anymore.  Of course, they tell me this a week before I'm supposed to arrive.

Given this fact does anyone here have recommendations where I can find semi-permanent lodgings in Halifax near the base on short notice?  I'll get subsidized hotel for at least the first week from Brookfield but after that I'm on my own (with the standard unaccompanied benifits).

Try the MARLANT page under bulletin board and under real estate, people post rooms and such. I didn't know about no live ins. Other than that check kijjii.

Juno Tower ?  Or if you are MS and below Tribute Tower ?

Kijiji - Short term rentals ?

Engage your CoC.

That's all I got, sorry.  I would offer my basement but I am not sure my rifles and spiders would appreciate a roommate lol ;) 

Underway said:
Given this fact does anyone here have recommendations where I can find semi-permanent lodgings in Halifax near the base on short notice?

This may, or may not, help,

Posted to Halifax
https://army.ca/forums/threads/105140.25
OP: "having a hard time finding a place.."
2 pages.

Underway said:

How long do you require accommodations?

Welcome to Halifax, a great little town.

Accommodations...short term/hotel I might be able to suggest a spot if you'd like.  I know the owner of a pretty decent property on the Bedford highway, overlooks the basin, near the Princess Lodge.

Long term, well, Juno is $60 a night last time I checked, and if that's not in the budget, then here's the link for the MCCB:

http://mcbb.halifax.mil.ca/pls/n6srch/bb.bb_main

http://mcbb.halifax.mil.ca/pls/n6srch/bb.bb_subject?board=73&subject=220522

That one in particular might be of interest, $675 a month:

Located at 5355 Russell Street, in the Historic Seton Property. Perfect for anyone wanting to walk 10 minutes to the Dockyards, Stadacona or Irving Shipyards. Residential quiet street and building. Hardwood floors, high ceilings, tons of large windows and light. Share the kitchen/living room/in-suite washer/dryer, your own private bedroom and bathroom. Parking extra. Long term serious enquiries only.
For pictures, Kijij Ad: 1260765334
Available Immediately.

Posted 6 days ago.

Hope that helps a bit.

NS

Underway said:

You fly out there, do an HHT in situ, find a cheap *** apartment, and live in a hotel paid for by Brookfield (ILM&M) until your apartment is ready to move into.

I told you all this yesterday...

Thanks to all for the advice.  Truly appreciated.  As for Juno Tower and Russell House, I got an email yesterday saying they no longer do long term single quarters type stuff, so this is what screwed me for finding a place as I was counting (assuming) that this would be an easy open and shut case.  I am going to look at changing my RFD out 30 days as I'll be a PAT until Sept. Hopefully that goes smoothly.

Chief Stoker said:
How long do you require accommodations?

On the outside 6 months, then my unaccompanied status is over.  But even a month or two would be ok so I can sort my crap out.

NavyShooter said:
http://mcbb.halifax.mil.ca/pls/n6srch/bb.bb_main

http://mcbb.halifax.mil.ca/pls/n6srch/bb.bb_subject?board=73&subject=220522

This is excellent,  I really appreciate the site.  It should make things a bit easier.

quote author=Lumber link=topic=125759/post-1488229#msg1488229 date=1494429818]
You fly out there, do an HHT in situ, find a cheap *** apartment, and live in a hotel paid for by Brookfield (ILM&M) until your apartment is ready to move into.

[/quote]

Ah now you have given too much away.  I know who you are now.

Underway said:

Works both ways bud!  :threat:
;D

thinking I missed something.  If you are looking at 6 months why not SE to cover accms? Claims section will provide a list of possible accms (at least we did when I was there).

When did you check on base qtrs?  It's been a while now that they stopped live ins and seems to me you should have received a quick answer of no.

Underway said:
Thanks to all for the advice.  Truly appreciated.  As for Juno Tower and Russell House, I got an email yesterday saying they no longer do long term single quarters type stuff, so this is what screwed me for finding a place as I was counting (assuming) that this would be an easy open and shut case.  I am going to look at changing my RFD out 30 days as I'll be a PAT until Sept. Hopefully that goes smoothly.

On the outside 6 months, then my unaccompanied status is over.  But even a month or two would be ok so I can sort my crap out.

This is excellent,  I really appreciate the site.  It should make things a bit easier.

quote author=Lumber link=topic=125759/post-1488229#msg1488229 date=1494429818]

If you have access to DWAN, contact Chuck Ranni (Civ); he's the IR clerk for Halifax. He has a package and should be able to provide a listing of short-term accommodations as well. We're in the process of completing the BCompt website which will have all of this information accessible in the near future (hopefully).

Back