• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Unacceptable Political Advertising: Liberals Attacking the CF

medicineman said:
On a personal side, being that Gagetown is a large Army base, and the MP for the area is a senior Liberal Cabinet Minister, I'd say there might be a rude shock come election day - not to mention Edmonton (if they're still Liberal), Pembroke/Petawawa, Winnipeg and Brandon, etc ad nauseum.  Should just give them some shovels (and dynamite if they live somewhere really cold) and just let them dig/blast out their own graves.  Don't get mad - get even (ain't democracy a b*&^h??!!) with your ballott.

MM

I don't know that that is a huge concern, I know most guys in Shearwater haven't changed their SOR and therefore vote in the riding in which they lived prior to enrollment. I'm posted to Shearwater yet I voted for a candidate in Sarnia-Lambton today.

A little off the topic but:

The Liberal candidate for Dufferin Caledon is a former RCR Major, Garry Moore, why not let him know how you feel about the recent ad that garnered so much attention.

garrymoore@garrymoore.ca  or through  www.liberal.ca  1-888-205-2855

Pro Patria

I've dropped off and picked up my children at day care in uniform for the last 14 years (3 kids).  We have often been on the board of directors as well.
I spoke with the staff at the day care today and they all got a kick out of the ad.  Liberals?  Stupid?

RangerRay said:
Here are some other opinions from the "tolerant", "open-minded" and "enlightened" left:

http://www.rabble.ca/babble/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=005165

BE WARNED: have a bucket by your computer.  And you might want to have a shower after reading it.
I'm sorry, but...sweet fuking christ! ignorant ungrateful troglodytes, but hey...watch them all cry when they need us to sandbag their homes or shovel their driveway!....
Incidentally, back at the Liberal ranch....
Martin says he only approved transcript of controversial 'soldiers' ad
Watch the interview...backpedaling bas....
sm_rage.gif

edit: oops, the link>>  http://www.cbc.ca/story/canadavotes2006/national/2006/01/12/elxn-libs-research-military.html

A_Major,  good one re: Lib MPs in Citys - got a real chuckle out of that!  8)

FYI, just thought everyone should know what PM PM's view is of the whole CF attack ad:
(Compendium of blurps from: Tor Star, CBC, CTV, Can AM, etc)
[My comments Thusly]

Martin said an ad that outraged present and former military personnel was not meant to target soldiers
[Yep, Suure,  ::)  and I suppose he didn't eliminate the deficit by 'permanently borrowing', into federal coffers, the approx $46B Surplus which had built up in the once separate EI account - a surplus which now exists only on paper as a 'hidden debt'.]
The ad claims Harper would put soldiers in Canadian cities and suggested Canada could become a police state under his leadership.

The ad, which Liberals say was pulled before it ever ran on television, opens with the ominous sound of a military drumbeat and the Conservative leader's blurred face in the background.
As the face comes slowly into focus, a concerned, measured female voice speaks behind the words on the screen [in an ominous tone]:
"Stephen Harper actually announced he wants to increase military presence in our cities."
"Canadian cities."
" Soldiers with guns. "
" In our cities. In Canada. "
"We did not make this up."
"Choose your Canada."  >:D
"Vote FIBeral/LIEberaL" [or insert your favourite word]  :D

[ Yet, most Media outlets rec'd the ad on the same CD as part of a 'Super Slam' pkg of 12 Attk ADs,
All approved by the PM himself (as acknowledged by the PM on Canada AM this AM and Ujal Dosanjh the other day)

- with the AD in question not pulled until 4 Hours later
- once they realized how it was starting to blow up in their faces.]
Paul Martin has defended the ads, and In an interview Thursday morning on CTV's Canada AM, Martin said he approved every one of the harshly critical ads -- including one that suggested the Tory Leader would use the military to occupy Canadian cities.
Liberal spokesman Ken Polk told The Globe and Mail:  The ad "was inadvertently posted," he said in an e-mail to the newspaper. Then he sent another e-mail, saying: "The ad has not been aired. It may still."
A few minutes later in another e-mail, he said: "The ad will not air in its present form and was never intended to."

The ad was pulled from the Liberal party's English website but still appeared Wednesday afternoon on the party's French website. 
Thursday saw the Liberals chasing their own tails in the attempt to control the fallout from an attack ad that mistakenly made it to the party's web site and has raised rancour among Canadians.
[Yet PM asserted] "it has never been shown in Quebec"
McLellan, the Deputy Prime Minister and Liberal candidate in Edmonton Centre, said the ad was never approved by the prime minister and should have never seen the light of day.
[Meanwhile,] Liberal MP Keith Martin said "Some idiot inadvertently sent out an ad that was not approved and not supported by the party with the 11 (ads) that were supported."
Liberal Leader Paul Martin said the controversial "ad was pulled because the ad was pulled, and because there were better ads -- that's essentially it.''  ???

[Hold on, here come the dizzying Spin]
Martin said. "Take a look at what we're attacking. There's support for the soldiers."
[This AM on Canada AM - PM said "the AD was not an AD, it was never an AD." ]
[Tonight on CBC, PM said "the AD never actually aired . . . the AD does Not exist."]
:pushup:

Still, McLellan said the ad's purpose was simply to point out the expense of Harper's plan to station troops for emergency response in four Western cities.
[Martin asserted] (The ads have) "nothing to do with soldiers."
Martin said Harper's plan to establish a permanent military presence in major Canadian cities as a ready aid in emergencies would dilute the Forces and create an administrative and logistical nightmare.
"It's not me," Martin said.
The chief of defence staff, Gen. Rick "Hillier's the one who said `I want to have a Canada Command; I want to be able to really have top-flight soldiers in top-flight positions with top-flight equipment.
You can't do that if it's spread out all across the country."
[During a live News event Thur AM, PM asserted (from memory)] "what we need most is Strategic Deployability, we need forces concentrated as we can't wait a few days for them to be concentrated."

[Umm, did he forget only 2-3 Hercs available for such duties??  :blotto:
Plus, to move any substantial amount of equip, especially if rail lines or Mtn Passes are unusable due to a Maj Quake in BC, we require Rented Russian/Ukranian Antonovs at OUTRAGEOUS Rental Rates ~US$880M per flight (per Dart in Jan 2005). 
Not to mention that these rented aircraft, even under the NATO SALIS agmt, would not be available at Cdn Military airfield before minimum 72 hrs - plus requiring Undamaged airstrip sufficiently long to land on.
72hr Antonov availability would be Insufficient to meet the FSA SOR 48hr availability window in respect to national deployments in response to a natural disaster (such as a major BC earthquake or another Winnipeg Flood or Ice Storm) or a northern Canada MAJAID (MAjor AIr Disater).     :brickwall:
US C-17/C-5 begging/borrowing might be even more Problematic considering how PM keeps Slagging the US who have stepped up in past to help with Winnipeg Flood & Ice Storm Outsize airlift.]  :-[

[Plus, don't forget their Inane News Release]
http://www.liberal.ca/news_e.aspx?id=11250
Stephen Harper's Mixed-Up Military Priorities
December 13, 2005
Stephen Harper's announcement of the Conservative defence plan today demonstrates his party's mixed-up military priorities.
Mr. Harper also announced his new plan would also include increasing heavy air lift capacity by buying larger aircraft.  Heavy airlift capacity has one purpose: the deployment of a quick response for military or humanitarian reasons.  Mr. Harper's should come clean and explain why he believes Canada needs this kind of airlift capacity: is it for military or humanitarian purposes?

[Pls see my earlier post for further elaboration on that Brain Fart]
http://Forums.Army.ca/forums/threads/36924/post-308912.html#msg308912

BTW, not bad overall summary of platforms.
http://www.ctv.ca/mini/election2006/static/issues/defence.html
[Although they seem to have completely missed the CPC promise for Minimum 3x Strategic Airlift aircraft,
which coincidentally, the Libranoes need for their Rapid Deployment assertions.  Ironic Eh?]  :nana:

:cdn:
Hows This Eh?  ;D
[Military music circa French Revolution beating (louder and louder) in background on a Blood-Red screen.]
[Tank roaring straight at screen, gun firing]
The Liberals forced the CF to scrap tanks in favour of Mobile Gun Systems.
Tanks bad, might actually scare someone.

[MGS wheeling happily by, turret swiveling back and forth merily.]
Mobile Gun Systems . . . In our Cities. 
Canadian Cities.

[Pictures of riots from FLQ days]
Canadian Peasants on the streets.
Soldiers with Mobile Gun Systems . . . on the streets . . . In Canadian Cities.
[Dead & injured civilians lying on ground after a riot]
We're not making this up, Really!
Mobile Gun Systems are actually very useful to quell Domestic disturbances . . . In Canadian Cities.
Choose your Canada, or else.

Gobsmacked said:
Martin said an ad that outraged present and former military personnel was not meant to target soldiers
[Yep, Suure,  ::)  and I suppose he didn't eliminate the deficit by 'permanently borrowing', into federal coffers, the approx $46B Surplus which had built up in the once separate EI account - a surplus which now exists only on paper as a 'hidden debt'.]

You know, when he says is wasn't mean to target soldiers, I actually belleive him.  The Liberals see us as mindless killing machines.  It probably never even occured to them that we could get offended, and especially that we could get offended by the suggestion that we're dangerous.  From their twisted perspective, they probably thought they were complimenting us.  Just goes to show how truly clueless these people are.

Journeyman said:
As of this morning (13 Jan), it's STILL playing in Quebec

In fact, the ad is not the same as the english version. The ad contains many messages, including the message that the CPC want to station soldiers in cities. Nowhere as attacking as the english ad. And yes, it's still airing.

I took a look at that babel sight. Wow and I thought we banned people fast HERE.

Those guys are really fucked up.  Hard core left and right wing people are scary. I was banned for attempting to verify that I was a soldier when someone called me on it.  Someone who uses full metal jacket as a reference for what happens in training. They REALLY don't like people who are right of center or soldiers, what a waste.

A_Major, in my first time forwarding something ever en masse, I sent that liberal ad to everyone on my list  :salute:

I'm also going from voting myself to making sure my whole family votes, all of my friends vote and anyone I speak with.  I'm writing the local Liberal candidate and telling him my feelings on how disapointed I am.

Hey the Liberals got me involved in politics, who'd have guessed.

Ghost778 said:
I'm writing the local Liberal candidate and telling him my feelings on how disapointed I am.

Your local Liberal candidate is a former member of your Regiment.

As with many others like NorthStar,  I could not in good conscience let this lie.  I sent a letter to every paper in Canada.  I know about my obligations as a soldier and I happily accept all consequences of my actions and article submitted.

Letter of the day Calgary Sun:

http://calsun.canoe.ca/Comment/Letters/2006/01/13/1391579.html

This WEEK was the lowest point of my 27-year career within the Canadian military.  I was embarrassed by the callous misrepresen-tation of our military to be that of the Jack-Booted thugs of the Nazi regime of Second World War.  The best of our Canadian values, truth, honesty, courage, and integrity were nowhere to be seen from this particular Liberal advertisement.  I am still in shock the leadership of our country so blatantly sacrificed the good name of all our military members in an attempt to scare voters.

My deceased grandfather served, my deceased father served, I am currently serving, and my son is serving as well. None of us, not one Canadian deserves to be insulted in that manner. I am glad my grandfather is not alive to see this.  After the sacrifices he and others made defending our freedoms, fighting the Nazis, this would have killed him.

For that I can not excuse the Liberal party.

Patrick McCafferty

(We understand your anger.)

Cheers
Pop

Very good letter.  Just the right tone, the right length, and the right structure.  Editors love them like that.

Well done.

Thanks.

Tom

MdB said:
In fact, the ad is not the same as the english version.
Could someone provide an English translation of what is in the French ad?

Which language was the approved transcript?

Man oh man I just watched this add from one of the links here . I'm not in the military but god was I offended when I saw this. To make our soldiers look like thugs with guns is unforgiving .It's one thing to attack a political opponent but to attack people who are protecting are rights and freedoms  just gets under my skin . I sure hope that on the 23rd of Jan we can get a change of government .

Now to see how the Liberal Gov't thinks about this...

Has anyone seen or heard hide or hair of Bill Graham (Minister of National Defence) speaking or commenting on this?

Armymedic said:
Now to see how the Liberal Gov't thinks about this...

Has anyone seen or heard hide or hair of Bill Graham (Minister of National Defence) speaking or commenting on this?

From what I have seen, the Liberals have run and hid, and are hoping the media will forget this gaffe (and considering the slant of many outlets, I'm sure they are happy to oblige). We can only hope for the next "beer and popcorn" moment (and notice how fast THAT went into the memory hole).

karl28 said:
Man oh man I just watched this add from one of the links here . I'm not in the military but god was I offended when I saw this. To make our soldiers look like thugs with guns is unforgiving .It's one thing to attack a political opponent but to attack people who are protecting are rights and freedoms  just gets under my skin . I sure hope that on the 23rd of Jan we can get a change of government .

Then you know what you have to do.

Check out Dithers here...

http://www.proudtobecanadian.ca/audio/ProudToBeCanadian.ca_Self-Satisfied.wmv

RangerRay said:
Check out Dithers here...

http://www.proudtobecanadian.ca/audio/ProudToBeCanadian.ca_Self-Satisfied.wmv
Thats even better than the straight run CBC video  ;D

Back