• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ukraine - Superthread

Quite the Leeroy Jenkins charge...

Where'd you see that? Do the Brits even have any Challenger 2s they could spare?
Was on Twitter - so it's a FWIW type comment.

As to the 'spare' aspect, I suspect the UK is seeing some long in the tooth Challengers and saying, hey we need to replace these anyway, why not let the Ukrainians use the for the purpose we bought them for...
They are cutting 35% of the Challenger 2's anyway - only 135 are being converted to Challenger 3, and 70 are to be scrapped (or mothballed).
My guess IF it happens is that those 70 'spare" tanks would be the ones to go.

As to the 'spare' aspect, I suspect the UK is seeing some long in the tooth Challengers and saying, hey we need to replace these anyway, why not let the Ukrainians use the for the purpose we bought them for...
They are cutting 35% of the Challenger 2's anyway - only 135 are being converted to Challenger 3, and 70 are to be scrapped (or mothballed).

I wonder if the 4th man (the loader) will be borrowed from the artillery? Seems like a 122mm SPH loader would be a good fit with little training?

A western tank training deport in Poland would be useful. Send some operational tanks there now, to start training crews and maintainers while they select the best tanks to be refitted, or they send some for refit and transfer tanks from a operational US/Brit/German unit, who will get the refits when they are completed.

Better late than never

The Challenger seems like the tank that lost out along with the Italian tank. No future going forward is likely as I doubt either country is going to support its own tank project. There should be a decent amount of Challengers stored as well. In the end I doubt the French and Germans will stay together on their tank project as well as the fighter program.

Sea sparrows for Ukraine?

"The package will for the first time include radar-guided Sea Sparrow anti-air missiles, which can be launched from the sea or on land to intercept aircraft or cruise missiles. In a bit of battlefield innovation, the Ukrainian military has managed to tweak its existing Soviet-era BUK launchers to fire the Sea Sparrow, two people familiar with the matter said. Up to this point, Taiwan has been the only country to operate the ground-launched version of the missiles, while the U.S. and multiple allied navies use the ship-mounted version."

The Challenger seems like the tank that lost out along with the Italian tank. No future going forward is likely as I doubt either country is going to support its own tank project. There should be a decent amount of Challengers stored as well. In the end I doubt the French and Germans will stay together on their tank project as well as the fighter program.

Sea sparrows for Ukraine?

"The package will for the first time include radar-guided Sea Sparrow anti-air missiles, which can be launched from the sea or on land to intercept aircraft or cruise missiles. In a bit of battlefield innovation, the Ukrainian military has managed to tweak its existing Soviet-era BUK launchers to fire the Sea Sparrow, two people familiar with the matter said. Up to this point, Taiwan has been the only country to operate the ground-launched version of the missiles, while the U.S. and multiple allied navies use the ship-mounted version."
It is really amazing how much less time it takes to learn to operate "x" and how fast the "technically impossible" can be made to work when there are no exclusive contracts to lose

It is really amazing how much less time it takes to learn to operate "x" and how fast the "technically impossible" can be made to work when there are no exclusive contracts to lose
At least in construction and mining equipment the more different types of equipment you operate and maintain the easier it gets to learn new ones. At least half of our dozer operators over the years had time on a tank. Its how my dad learned in the war like many others

I had more faith in the UK taking the lead under Boris and Liz Truss (she's the one who, as Boris's Minister of Defence, declared that serving soldiers could "volunteer" for the Ukrainian Foreign Legion. The General Staff shut her down but not before a number of releases had been signed.)

Rishi is the perfect Prefect (Hall Monitor). He will do what the headmaster calls for.
The Headmaster is calling for a slow burn. They are very happy at the moment. Many of the long term goals are being meant. You don't even need the tin foil hat to see that.

UK economy is further weakened post Brexit faster (return to EU is back on the table or soon will be)
Europe is de carbonizing faster
US MIC is ramping up (this is helping for the future China fight) I hope to never see
Russia is going to be forever weakened, Russian depopulation is going to be a crisis.
Ukraine is going to depopulated no matter what.
China and some other get cheap energy (looking north now for resources and land)
Turkey is going to come out a winner no matter what.
Middle East Oil kingdoms are made wealthy so new Arab spring
etc

And faster when every training session the him/her pronoun, lands claim, building safety and washroom announcement is omitted :)

The Headmaster is calling for a slow burn. They are very happy at the moment. Many of the long term goals are being meant. You don't even need the tin foil hat to see that.

UK economy is further weakened post Brexit faster (return to EU is back on the table or soon will be)
Europe is de carbonizing faster
US MIC is ramping up (this is helping for the future China fight) I hope to never see
Russia is going to be forever weakened, Russian depopulation is going to be a crisis.
Ukraine is going to depopulated no matter what.
China and some other get cheap energy (looking north now for resources and land)
Turkey is going to come out a winner no matter what.
Middle East Oil kingdoms are made wealthy so new Arab spring
etc
Reverting Brexit would be stupid. Accepting it as a reality and moving ahead with trade pacts with non-EU countries. Anyone who thought Brexit would not come with pain, was a fool. Once the UK sorts itself out the EU will not be able to afford not to trade with them and then they can work out trade agreements that are similar to the original idea of a trade union. For now the powers in the EU feel the need to "punish the UK". Eventually this will pass.

Back