• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ukraine - Superthread

Kirkhill

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
I love the idea of China investing billions of dollars to build infrastructure here, with us then nationalizing it & using it ourselves. Pure genius really!

The trick is finding that sweet spot between defaulting on making the payments we owe for them building the stuff, and nationalizing (aka commandeering) it.

But as a general concept of having our frienemy pay for things to be built here, and thus saving us money? Go for it...

"Noooooo, you shouldn't have been so kind! Like really, you really shouldn't have..."

Having seen some plants built in both the US and Canada that involved Chinese investors that would get a big "Not on your life" from me.

The plants come with knock-off components with edges that slice hands, no source of spare parts, non-existent english manuals (not even Chinglish), designs prepared for the 95th percentile Chinese, by Chinese engineers ignorant of North American practice and laws, and installed by Chinese technicians not trained to North American standards and supervised by unilingual supervisors. And that is for juice, fish, soy and soup factories.

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Having seen some plants built in both the US and Canada that involved Chinese investors that would get a big "Not on your life" from me.

The plants come with knock-off components with edges that slice hands, no source of spare parts, non-existent english manuals (not even Chinglish), designs prepared for the 95th percentile Chinese, by Chinese engineers ignorant of North American practice and laws, and installed by Chinese technicians not trained to North American standards and supervised by unilingual supervisors. And that is for juice, fish, soy and soup factories.

Watch this documentary

GR66

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Boy those Russians can't seem to catch a break.

The Defence Blog website is reporting "Russian radar blows up at military air base in Belarus"

"The Belarus Ministry of Defense confirmed on Wednesday evening that one of the vehicles in the military area near Homel caught fire, though it said it was a result of an inspection run."

Seems that the vehicle fire caused "the Russian 92N6 fire control and engagement radar, known as Grave Stone by NATO, blew up in a huge explosion at Zyabrovka air base on the night of August 11."

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
Boy those Russians can't seem to catch a break.

The Defence Blog website is reporting "Russian radar blows up at military air base in Belarus"

"The Belarus Ministry of Defense confirmed on Wednesday evening that one of the vehicles in the military area near Homel caught fire, though it said it was a result of an inspection run."

Seems that the vehicle fire caused "the Russian 92N6 fire control and engagement radar, known as Grave Stone by NATO, blew up in a huge explosion at Zyabrovka air base on the night of August 11."
I hate it when I forget the regular oil change and my radar trucks explode.

NavyShooter

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
I'd say this can't be real...but...if you find the video, you'll see that the UAV bomb (just to the right of my red outline) makes a rather resounding...boom...in the video.

Those appear to be anti-tank mines stacked on the front left sponson area...and while it might just be a handy spot to transport them...I suspect that the 'extra ERA' option is reality.

1660337331563.png

Good2Golf

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
I'd say this can't be real...but...if you find the video, you'll see that the UAV bomb (just to the right of my red outline) makes a rather resounding...boom...in the video.

Those appear to be anti-tank mines stacked on the front left sponson area...and while it might just be a handy spot to transport them...I suspect that the 'extra ERA' option is reality.

View attachment 72465
I don’t even think MacGyver would use ATMs as ERA…

lenaitch

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Not like people aren't asking ...
Meanwhile, THAT's the secret!
The article is a little dated. KWG is still a player in the RoF but no longer a major one, and they seem to be now talking about some kind of rail tramway rather than a traditional heavy rail. They've proposed a lot of things in the past few years.

Maxman1

Reaction score
He wasn’t all bad. Pearson was the guy who got American-supplied nuclear weapons approved for use by Canada from 1963 until Pere Trudeau took over as PM and rescinded the nuclear weaponized status of Canada. Clearly wasn’t enough to keep him from being awarded the Nobel peace prize.

Now that I think about it, it was more of a "oh, fuck off" in response to a quote on how wonderful peacekeeping is.

KevinB

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
My guess is they are transporting them, why have ERA on a fender? Note the other side has nothing.
My guess is they are clueless and figured it will help.
I mean based on some of the discoveries in Ukraine, most ERA boxes have been filled with either Rubber or Sand in Russian tanks…

McG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Unlike ERA panels and HEAT-type projectiles, blast AT mines contain enough explosive content to make a mess of a tank. Using them as armour over the tracks won’t do anything to mitigate a top attacking shaped charge (because there is nothing to penetrate there) but it may amplify an inconsequential hit into a mobile kill with crew casualties.

MilEME09

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Unlike ERA panels and HEAT-type projectiles, blast AT mines contain enough explosive content to make a mess of a tank. Using them as armour over the tracks won’t do anything to mitigate a top attacking shaped charge (because there is nothing to penetrate there) but it may amplify an inconsequential hit into a mobile kill with crew casualties.
Well we know Russian troops aren't the smartest, this isn't by accident but a by-prodyct of the Russian education system, a corrupt conscription system that takes from the poorest regions of Russia, but people in well off families can bribe a doctor for about $5000 to right that they are medically unfit. Resulting in poor, unmotivated conscripts who really are doing it because they have no choice and stay because it's their only chance to actually get out if poverty

Kirkhill

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Ukrainian technical ingenuity strikes again, this time as a field modification. Ukrainian technicians ripped a MT-12 AT gun off its carriage and mounted it to a MT-LB. As a tech I am at awe over the technical ability required to pull this off in the field.

What happens when rhe bureaucrats get out of the way....

And you give the troops free toys to play with

I'm assuming the accountants have the donated Russian gun and vehicle on the books at a Zero Dollar value.

Like our divested kit.

Kirkhill

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Some activity from the Joint Expeditionary Force community

Making waves distinct from those of NATO and the EU

Poland joining JEF countries Finland, Estonia, Latvia and Denmark in trying to get the EU to stop issuing tourist visas to Russians.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/wo4wn7
And Estonia (Tallinn) and Finland (Helsinki) have taken up their historic roles as fortresses controlling the passage from the Baltic to St Petersburg and Novgorod. Together with Denmark (Elsinore) they bottle up the Baltic and deny Russia access to the North Atlantic by that route.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/wo2h26