• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ukraine - Superthread

Maxman1

Reaction score
There was talk of replacing the M203 with the colt eagle, which is a newer ambidextrous 40mm launcher. As always nothing materialized

Always trying to reinvent the wheel and fix what isn't broken.
Grenade_launcher_M79_1.jpg

I am sure GDLS will be happy to continue building new LAV 6's for the CAF to replace ones being shipped to Ukraine. NATO really needs a "Monkey Model" reliable MBT with at least a 120mm to build and supply Allies like Ukraine and others. Bog Standard Leopard 2 hull with a M1A1 turret. Germany builds the hull, UK the suspension, Canada tracks and wheels, Commercial engine.

Maybe make it a Cummins V12 and a modified Leopard 2 hull.
So, is that an ability that Canada SHOULD have? And if so how to go about it and what size/unit capabilities?

I think as a strand of this thread however it needs a new home...

Maybe use the original idea behind what would become the Airborne Regiment: a battalion ready to go manned by troops attatch posted for up to two years. What went wrong with the Airborne is that concept got thrown out the window by later commanders almost immediately, and it became another regiment, then became a dumping ground for undesirables and a bad culture developed from there.
If that's true, its mind boggling there is still popular support in Russia for this folly. Those numbers are higher than the Soviet-Afghan War and Second Chechen War combined....

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Soooooooo, does this mean those Brits & Morrocan sentenced to death get to wait until 2025 to face the firing squad, or is this a bit of a crack opening to allow for a commutation to life/trade? Via RUS state media ...
Screenshot 2022-06-30 211102.jpg

KevinB

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
Soooooooo, does this mean those Brits & Morrocan sentenced to death get to wait until 2025 to face the firing squad, or is this a bit of a crack opening to allow for a commutation to life/trade? Via RUS state media ...
View attachment 71739
I suspect it’s designed as a carrot/stick threat and allows a lot of wiggle room. Plus timed to ensure that NATO doesn’t decide to send some SMU’s on a PR mission to recover those persons any time soon.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
View attachment 71739

It's probably more about ensuring that frontline, fighting-shy soldiers have an extra incentive for staying at their posts and not deserting...

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
Always trying to reinvent the wheel and fix what isn't broken.
Grenade_launcher_M79_1.jpg
Right?

I’ve seen American units using something very similar (or could be the same) to the Eagle grenade launcher in the link…

But I have always wondered why more countries don’t use a multi barrel grenade launcher to literally have some death raining from above.

KevinB

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
Right?

I’ve seen American units using something very similar (or could be the same) to the Eagle grenade launcher in the link…

But I have always wondered why more countries don’t use a multi barrel grenade launcher to literally have some death raining from above.

The USMC issues the M32A1 (Milkor) grenade launcher.
Some early issues with fuzing due to the cylinder gap causing velocity bleed - but was identified in 2009 by a intelligent duo of a Gunner and a contractor working for an entirely unrelated USMC sniper rifle program (you’re welcome).

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
Let's see just how NATO-y Turkey is on this one ...
Hopefully more NATO-y than they were when ISIS was growing exponentially…

Or when 2 of their warships locked weapons on a French warship, getting it to cease a planned boarding of a cargo ship suspected of carrying weapons to Libya…

Genuinely interested to see how Turkey handles this request after it’s objections to Finland & Sweden joining NATO were rebuffed, and they have multiple oil & gas projects currently on the go with Russia.

My guess? They will be as good of friends as they always are…

MilEME09

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Great read about the battle of Kyiv