• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ukraine - Superthread

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
You KNOW you're under their skin when you're individually sanctioned ;)
... Кристиан Борис (Christian Borys) – создатель ресурса «Saint Javelin»* ...
All sorts of other Canadians on the latest list out today here (archived link to USSR 2.0 ministry of foreign affairs)

* - Google translate: "creator of the Saint Javelin resource"

Kirkhill

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
A very chaotic response to a heavy barrage. My guess is the did not prepare anything in case they were shelled

@Colin Parkinson

This was the Reddit headline I saw that video attached to. There's a long version of the incident. It goes on for about 8 minutes IIRC.

Russian soldiers panic after Ukrainian troops hit a Russian ammunition depot. Welcome to hell, orcs.

Fishbone Jones

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
You KNOW you're under their skin when you're individually sanctioned ;)

All sorts of other Canadians on the latest list out today here (archived link to USSR 2.0 ministry of foreign affairs)

* - Google translate: "creator of the Saint Javelin resource"
Gerald Butts made the list. Wonder why? :unsure:

:D

Skysix

Reaction score
A very chaotic response to a heavy barrage. My guess is the did not prepare anything in case they were shelled

15:1 and they are almost out of 152/155. Over 500,000 rounds sent by the west plus whatever they had in stock. 7 MILLION plus incoming arty..... So now you can see why they need more if this is the Ukrainian useage rate. And how critical it is to also break the Russian supply chains

Skysix

Reaction score
If we send 8x the number of troops to Latvia than we have there now, gow many will be left here?

On even a 2:1 dwell ratio, how many reservists will be needed to augment?

What would the new PRes establishment need to be to make the rest of the rapid reaction force commitment deployable in a timely manner?

KevinB

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
If we send 8x the number of troops to Latvia than we have there now, gow many will be left here?
How many troops left or how many that would DAG green???

On even a 2:1 dwell ratio, how many reservists will be needed to augment?
Positions like they need to be viewed like 4 CMBG was. It does work not a short duration tour with a military the size of Canada.

What would the new PRes establishment need to be to make the rest of the rapid reaction force commitment deployable in a timely manner?

Unless Canada changes the PRes ToS and utterly restructures it - you can’t rely on PRes forces.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
How many troops left or how many that would DAG green???

Positions like they need to be viewed like 4 CMBG was. It does work not a short duration tour with a military the size of Canada.

Unless Canada changes the PRes ToS and utterly restructures it - you can’t rely on PRes forces.

Given what the Reserves were able to achieve during the AFG thing, under existing ToS, you could probably rely on a steady trickle of suitable personnel almost indefinately.

Of course they'd all be under the rank of MCpl, mostly, but that might be just fine if you mainly need to fill up APCs etc.

KevinB

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
Given what the Reserves were able to achieve during the AFG thing, under existing ToS, you could probably rely on a steady trickle of suitable personnel almost indefinately.
Not very rapidly unless one considers a 6 month work up for a Rapid Deployment to be well rapid…
Of course they'd all be under the rank of MCpl, mostly, but that might be just fine if you mainly need to fill up APCs etc.
I’m sure some Lt and Capt, as well as a few Sgt and WO can be found too.
My point is the PRes system works for individual augmentees with enough prior notice.
Unlike down here, you just can’t easily deploy a whole unit.

That doesn’t make a Rapid Response entity.
What it does make is forces that could bolster rotations for fixed periods.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
Not very rapidly unless one considers a 6 month work up for a Rapid Deployment to be well rapid…

I’m sure some Lt and Capt, as well as a few Sgt and WO can be found too.
My point is the PRes system works for individual augmentees with enough prior notice.

That doesn’t make a Rapid Response entity.
What it does make is forces that could bolster rotations for fixed periods.

Yes, that's true. If you want the Reserves 'now', you need to be able to cut a Class C contract in less than a month.

Solve that one problem and you'll go a long way to increasing the speed of deployment, IMHO.

KevinB

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
Yes, that's true. If you want the Reserves 'now', you need to be able to cut a Class C contract in less than a month.

Solve that one problem and you'll go a long way to increasing the speed of deployment, IMHO.
Or 6 months ago ;)
I think we got sucked into the wrong thread for this though.

Skysix

Reaction score
I was wondering if after the 8x as large rotations to Latvia were a thing what capability would remain to defend the home front...

Skysix

Reaction score
So, is that an ability that Canada SHOULD have? And if so how to go about it and what size/unit capabilities?

I think as a strand of this thread however it needs a new home...

Skysix

Reaction score
If a clash happened and Russia deployed it's artillery, I think we would be shocked at the carnage on our side. It would not last long but the conflict would have a causality rate that rivals Iraq and Afghanistan combined. NATO will stumble in the first week, followed by a counter offensive that would stop the Russian offensive. It would be very short and very bloody with a lot of dead AFV's and aircraft on both sides. Expect heavy causalities within various field headquarters caused by their lack of EW, light discipline and failure to secure the perimeters.
Posted elsewhere back in 2016....

RaceAddict

Reaction score
More civilian targets deliberately struck.

I don't think I saw it posted in here, but they also hit an apartment block and a kindergarten on Sunday.