• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ukraine - Superthread

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Somebody was doing their job and I bet they were wondering what the hell they were doing there too.
From what I've read so far , this is beginning to look like somebody in the Minister's office had a visit from the good idea fairy.
Probably a political staffer trying to score points and prove how useful they could be to the Minister.
Or a political staffer who didn't get it when someone from the bureaucracy asked, "we've been invited to send someone to the "Hurray for USSR 2.0!" party at the embassy"?

Don't look so shocked Kevin.

Check the family connections in Washington.
While nepotism is hardly zero in these circles (and worth raising in other threads), I have to agree that in this case, the family tree of an individual who had followed what they considered a lawful command to attend a function is kinda irrelevant to the decision made. The origin of and information feeding said lawful command strikes me as more germane.

Kirkhill

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
And the reason your giving us the names of people who are only connected to the story by being related to the one person who is ?
I have to say this makes me a trifle uncomfortable.
While I am interested in knowing the whole story I don't how knowing this person's family tree helps?

The person at the party may have been doing their job. Although that seems to be in doubt.

I saw her name and sez to myself "Self! That looks familiar!" So I looked it up and discovered her Dad was well known in her field of work. My Dad was well known in mine as well. They I discovered she had a sister and wondered what she was up to and discovered that she had followed in the family business as well and was employed by the same Department as her sister and her father.

None of this speaks to any malfeasance. It does speak to institutional continuity - and perhaps inertia. And all the information is in the public domain via the Government of Canada, Wikipedia and Paul Heinbecker connected websites - All still connected with global affairs, writ small, and Canadian foreign policy.

I happen to find the connection relevant and curious. Especially given they are all, or have been, public employees.

Regardless - It is a rabbit hole best ignored in this thread.

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
I've said this before, one of the reasons I enjoy this site is that rarely do we end up in stupid bun fights.
And during those relatively rare occasions , we usually manage to do it with good humor.
We can, as a group, be better than ad hominem attacks on people who were following what they probably thought was a lawful command, indeed.

Back to Ukraine, another sign that the cause you're backing is truly & broadly supported by your huddled masses (via RUS independent media) ....

Spencer100

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Back to Ukraine, another sign that the cause you're backing is truly & broadly supported by your huddled masses (via RUS independent media) ....
Could the Russian population support the greater cause but also not say just not my life or son's life?

Spencer100

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Probably not, given The System supports the cause way more than they support your right to choose whether to fight or not.
Agreed.

I was meaning the reports of the increased Russian population's support of the war and Putin. It could total make up crap poling. It also could be the mind set of the whole world is against us circle the wagons remember we are alone in the world like our grandfathers. But we're not going to join the fight....

KevinB

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
Agreed.

I was meaning the reports of the increased Russian population's support of the war and Putin. It could total make up crap poling. It also could be the mind set of the whole world is against us circle the wagons remember we are alone in the world like our grandfathers. But we're not going to join the fight....
Lots of interesting numbers coming out of Russia depending on who does the poling.
It’s clear by the amount of rail accidents and power plant fires they are having there is a bit more that a minority that aren’t to happy with Mr P and his warZ.

Maxman1

Reaction score
Didn't another eurodespot have an armored train or two? Didn't end well for him.

Sir Winston Churchill had some choice words about armoured trains, having been in one that was ambushed in South Africa.

"Nothing looks more formidable and impressive than an armoured train; but nothing is in fact more vulnerable and helpless. It was only necessary to blow up a bridge of culvert to leave the monster stranded, far from home and help, at the mercy of the enemy"

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Could the Russian population support the greater cause but also not say just not my life or son's life?
Also remember the Chechens are "convincing" their own fellow Chechens, not necessarily Russians.

Also, Canada's latest offering

OldSolduer

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
We can, as a group, be better than ad hominem attacks on people who were following what they probably thought was a lawful command, indeed.

I long suspected Chechens for an incident that happened elsewhere. I am not a fan of them.

FJAG

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Also remember the Chechens are "convincing" their own fellow Chechens, not necessarily Russians.

Also, Canada's latest offering
Great. Now our M777s will go the same way as our LG1s and C3s.

😖

Furniture

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Somebody was doing their job and I bet they were wondering what the hell they were doing there too.
From what I've read so far , this is beginning to look like somebody in the Minister's office had a visit from the good idea fairy.
Probably a political staffer trying to score points and prove how useful they could be to the Minister.
We wouldn't accept that answer from a Cpl who attended a party like that, why should we accept it from a very senior diplomat?

We pay people like the Deputy Chief of Protocol at GAC a lot of money to make smart decisions that make Canada look good. This should be a termination, or demotion level event, I suspect it will be a "your family has a reputation to uphold, so don't make another mistake" level event.

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
We wouldn't accept that answer from a Cpl who attended a party like that, why should we accept it from a very senior diplomat?

We pay people like the Deputy Chief of Protocol at GAC a lot of money to make smart decisions that make Canada look good. This should be a termination, or demotion level event, I suspect it will be a "your family has a reputation to uphold, so don't make another mistake" level event.
I have been told to do things when I was in the PS and said "You really, really want to think about this. Are you willing to have this on the front page?"

GR66

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I can think of about four reserve regiments to give them to.

😁
You know I'm fully in favour of properly equipping the Reserves. However, Russia and other aggressive countries like it are the very reason why we have our military. We're not willing to fight Russia ourselves so Ukraine is taking the punishment in our stead.

What use are our "deterrent" weapons if we leave them sitting on the parade square? Hold on to them in case Russia attacks? They already have. Those M777s are absolutely useless sitting in Canada. Ukraine is already training to use them. Give them the weapons they need to fight where we're not willing to.