• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ukraine - Superthread

TacticalTea

Reaction score
NYT should be investigated for ties to Russia... That editorial is disturbing to say the least.

Very last paragraph of that KI article, their words describing exactly how I feel about this whole thing: Ukraine is fighting this war on behalf of the free world – to make sure it remains free. The free world must at least try to match the Ukrainians’ bravery.

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
NYT should be investigated for ties to Russia... That editorial is disturbing to say the least.
It does seem to be going more than a bit isolationist, saying "whoa, guys, let's keep a grip on how much we help here." If the UKR fight is as bipartisan in the U.S. as many I respect say, this is moving the NYT ship away from that crowd, for sure. Also, while the editorial mentions food insecurity as a growing issue, it fails to mention this being part of the cause ....

Mind you, things evolve, too. More than some now calling for the world to give 'er against USSR 2.0 seemed OK when POTUS45 was saying adjacent things about not helping fight Russia (all while "vacationing" Russian troops were invading/occupying bits of Ukraine supporting insurrectionist rebels & fighting Ukrainian troops in the east) & saying "Europe should be pulling more of the load."

Meanwhile, elsewhere in the 'hood ...
... and some intriguing polling from UKR

Last edited:

Dana381

Reaction score
That makes it an easy solution - no need to involve our material movement system at all. Nothing to pull out of Depot....just hand a cheque to the US and they tack on 20K or ammo to their shipments heading over.

If we have war stocks should we not send those and take the new stuff for ourselves lest ours expires. We know Ukraine will use the ammo in the near term. Also PJT can get nice pics of our C-17's delivering it.

KevinB

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
If we have war stocks should we not send those and take the new stuff for ourselves lest ours expires. We know Ukraine will use the ammo in the near term. Also PJT can get nice pics of our C-17's delivering it.
That is what most folks do.
Logistically it is easy to just write us a check.
But from a long term standpoint- it makes sense to get rid of the older ammo and bring in new. Mind you 20k rounds go pretty quick

McG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
You may want to tack on another 20k for a weeks worth of War Stock…
If we think the next war might be against a modern enemy then (judging from the still ongoing fight in Ukraine) I think we might need more than a week of supplies in the go locker. NATO has defined a number of days that a nation should look after itself before collective logistics kicks in. We need to cover at least those many days.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
We don’t have war stocks.

Macaulay Culkin Omg GIF by filmeditor

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
With this guy in Ukraine's corner, wonder how many on-the-fencers are going to lean pro-Team USSR 2.0 now?

Good2Golf

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
With this guy in Ukraine's corner, wonder how many on-the-fencers are going to lean pro-Team USSR 2.0 now?
To be honest, the only part really, where I depart from what Soros is saying, is where he talks about the Politburo, as though it exists in any meaningful fashion…which I don’t believe it does anymore, in the sense of the USSR 1.0 back room running things behind the Premier frontman.

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
To be honest, the only part really, where I depart from what Soros is saying, is where he talks about the Politburo, as though it exists in any meaningful fashion…which I don’t believe it does anymore, in the sense of the USSR 1.0 back room running things behind the Premier frontman.
Agreed on the "USSR 1.0 nostalgic cohort", but you know how some people can be - if x is for it, I can't be anything but against it.

Underway

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
To complicated. Just buy stuff and send it. CAF ammo expenditures are carefully tracked and used. Do you really want to get bureaucratic with this? The more steps the more complications.

Kirkhill

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
But from a long term standpoint- it makes sense to get rid of the older ammo and bring in new. Mind you 20k rounds go pretty quick

20,000 Rounds
100 M777s
200 Rounds per Gun
100 minutes normal rate of 2 RPM
28 minutes max rate of 7 RPM

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
I know the media has focused heavily on Ukranian wins against Russian forces, the retaking of towns/villages/cities, regaining control of areas, pushing Russian forces back, completely disrupting their ability to resupply & maneuver, sinking of Russian ships, etc

Ukraine, by all measurable standards, has kicked the hell out of the Russians pound for pound. The constant and massive inflow of weapons from the west has allowed Ukraine to restock vehicles & ammo faster than the Russians can - and has given Ukraine access to some of the best weaponry & assets the west has to offer. (Javelin, StarStreak, NLAW, etc. American intelligence & ISR capabilities, usage of privately owned satellites, etc)

In other words… how can the world tell Russia they don’t approve without actually telling Russia they don’t approve? Oh, wait. They have. Loudly.

BUT…

We can’t count Russia out of the fight just yet. While morale is low, tactics & strategy have been poor, and Russian equipment isn’t performing anywhere near as scary as we thought it would - Russia still has tens of thousands of troops in country, an Air Force with decent aircraft and weapons, and a nuclear triad that I imagine is still quite capable.

Is this the start of WW3? I don’t think so.

In WW2, there were very few countries not directly affected by the war. Even India felt the direct consequences of what was happening in Europe, the same goes for Australia and what was happening with Japan in the Pacific.

Does this same global ‘you’re involved whether you like it or not’ situation exist now? Not really. I’m sure there are plenty of countries outside of the Western Hemisphere that - while they don’t approve - aren’t currently affected all that much by events. (Ignoring global commodity prices, ofcourse.)

I guess the good thing is that if preserving civilization means defeating Putin’s forces, this doesn’t seem like such a Goliath task anymore.

Turns out he never could have steamrolled his way through 3 countries before NATO could respond - he barely made it halfway across 1…

As once said by some Badass USMC Commander to his troops before a deadly push… “The enemy isn’t 10ft tall. He’s 4’2” and he’s on a short leash, you’re gonna fuck him up

Czech_pivo

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score

Very last paragraph of that KI article, their words describing exactly how I feel about this whole thing: Ukraine is fighting this war on behalf of the free world – to make sure it remains free. The free world must at least try to match the Ukrainians’ bravery.
Remember, it was the NY Times that supported Durante in the 1920-30’s and his constant blathering about Stalin and how he was changing the world and the outright denial of the man-made famine in the Ukraine. Looks like history repeating itself again.

Czech_pivo

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
When you’ve got only 40 guns, it can take a bit of time to go through 20,000 rounds…..well I guess 5 days if all 40 guns fire 100/day.