• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ukraine - Superthread

GR66

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Two items reported on by the BBC Live coverage which give at least a slight glimmer of hope that there could possibly be some room for a negotiated end to the hostilities:

Russia won't use nuclear weapons in Ukraine, says official​

The silhouette of a soldier next to a missile
Getty ImagesCopyright: Getty Images
Russia will not use tactical nuclear weapons in Ukraine, foreign ministry spokesman Alexei Zaitsev has said.
Western officials have recently publicly discussed concerns about the risks of Russia using nuclear weapons.
CIA intelligence director William Burns said on 14 April, "none of us can take lightly" the threat posed by tactical nuclear weapons or low-yield nuclear weapons by Russia in the Ukraine war.

and

Ukraine war: Russia must withdraw to pre-invasion position for a deal - Zelensky​

Published13 hours ago
Related Topics
civilians leave azovstal
IMAGE SOURCE,EPA
Image caption,
Fifty civilians were able to leave the Mariupol steelworks on Friday
Any peace deal with Russia would depend on Russian forces pulling back to their pre-invasion positions, Ukraine's president says.
Speaking to a London think tank, Volodymyr Zelensky said that was the minimum that his country could accept.
He said he was the leader of "Ukraine, not a mini-Ukraine". But he did not mention Crimea, annexed by Russia in 2014.

Toning down the nuclear rhetoric on Russia's side and accepting a return to the Feb 24th start line (allowing Russia to claim no loss of territory) by the Ukrainian side I believe are good first steps in establishing some kind of framework around which a negotiated end to hostilities could begin to be build.

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Can you imagine doing the vehicle annex for the Russians big parade?

"We're doing a historical theme so most of our vehicles will be vintage WW2 era this year....".

Edit Oops. late to the party. Just seen the above posts.

Last edited:

MilEME09

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Can you imagine doing the vehicle annex for the Russians big parade?

"We're doing a historical theme so most of our vehicles will be vintage WW2 era this year....".
I am hoping something happens on the 9th that embarrasses Russia. Loosing the bridge in Crimea, vehicles breaking down on parade, or something else. Ukraine being in the offensive opens the possibility for things to not look good for Russia this week

RaceAddict

Reaction score
I thought I heard back in the Cold War days, the Soviets would just keep rolling the same ranks and missiles around in a circle to make it look like a never ending line of weaponry. I also recall hearing those armoured vehicles were given fresh coats of paint to cover up the rust and leaks.

Potemkin army indeed.

I've also read/heard various accounts of the ICBMs in Soviet era parades actually being fake... just big tubes painted green and perched on top of trucks, or defunct/failed programs re-tooled to look different rolling down the parade route on their launchers.

MilEME09

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
I've also read/heard various accounts of the ICBMs in Soviet era parades actually being fake... just big tubes painted green and perched on top of trucks, or defunct/failed programs re-tooled to look different rolling down the parade route on their launchers.
not surprised, to look like they were meeting qoutas most tank plants actually only had several rows of working tanks for inspection, they rest were shells but it was enough to fool inspectors.

JLB50

Reaction score
About 10 or so years back, I remember reading a biography of Krushchev in which the author stated the same thing about the USSR regularly using fake missiles for their important military parades. I wonder who made the tires used to parade those missiles.

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
"... before we send what's still working west to fight the Ukrainian Nazis. There's still some working, right?"

Last edited:
  • Humorous
Reactions: ueo

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
When you go even a bit public, you risk getting picked up by the other side's info-machine - this from La Presse on Wali's return ....
... (Google English version from the French here) and this from RUS state media from La Presse
Screenshot 2022-05-07 143351.jpg
From from Russia Today here (archived link)

Last edited:

Kirkhill

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Seems like the Ukrainians are on the move in Kharkiv - Not just in the north but also in the south. After pushing a pontoon across east of Izyum, behind the Russians pushing towards Barkinhove the Ukrainians are now advancing on Izyum from east and west.

This Map GIF is from Nathan Ruser via Phillips O'Brien.

There is a suspicion that this is due to the change in the artillery picture - longer range, more precise western artillery.

I thought we were investigating Extended Range Cannons because the Russians had the longer ranged guns?