• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ukraine - Superthread

Haggis

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Ammunition exploded on the missile cruiser "Moscow". According to the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation, due to a fire on the missile cruiser "Moscow", a detonation of ammunition occurred, the flagship of the Black Sea Fleet was seriously damaged. Now the ship is afloat, the fire has been extinguished, the explosions of ammunition have stopped. The missile cruiser "Moscow" is planned to be towed to the port
Any hints as to the cause of the explosion? Smoking in a no-smoking area? Rapid entry of seawater and flaming debris into the ammunition spaces?
The Mi-24 dodged the missiles and went to the side, the return fire of the Mi-28N and Ka-52 helicopters, the Ukrainian Buk air defense system was destroyed.
How many missiles has the RFA successfully intercepted with their aircraft?
1649937877833.png

Czech_pivo

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
"Be our guest! Be our guest!
Put our service to the test
Tie your napkin 'round your neck, cherie
And we'll provide the rest ..."
I wonder if they hand out copies of Solzhenitsyn's 'Gulag Archipelago' when you enter Lefortovo as required reading?

Portnord

Reaction score
A coincidental article, that suggests what just happened to Moskva is only the beginning:

"...the Neptune rollout, training, and deployment finishes, possibly in just a few weeks if the invasion has not derailed Ukraine’s timetable."

This was an odd statement. My limited second hand experience of military organisations suggests their IQ spikes about a hundred points in a crisis, and the timetable likely got sped up. As in "Welcome all, I know some of you thought you would be learning the boatswain trade, some of you thought you would be stevedores. Today however we'll be studying coastal defense, with a focus on our new friend Neptune. If you're in a technical trade you're in the wrong room. Go to subbasement 2 and they will direct you to the missile assembly workshops."

MilEME09

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
"...the Neptune rollout, training, and deployment finishes, possibly in just a few weeks if the invasion has not derailed Ukraine’s timetable."

This was an odd statement. My limited second hand experience of military organisations suggests their IQ spikes about a hundred points in a crisis, and the timetable likely got sped up. As in "Welcome all, I know some of you thought you would be learning the boatswain trade, some of you thought you would be stevedores. Today however we'll be studying coastal defense, with a focus on our new friend Neptune. If you're in a technical trade you're in the wrong room. Go to subbasement 2 and they will direct you to the missile assembly workshops."
Likely not rushed by much, missile was originally tested last spring, first unit was equipped a few weeks ago and operational.

Portnord

Reaction score
Likely not rushed by much, missile was originally tested last spring, first unit was equipped a few weeks ago and operational.
Yeah, but the article is from only two days ago. Surely the invasion made producing these and rolling them out move up a much shorter priority list.

Edit: 4 days ago, my bad, it's a reprint. Hopefully not a reprint of a reprint...

Last edited:

Spencer100

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, but the article is from only two days ago. Surely the invasion made producing these and rolling them out move up a much shorter priority list.
IOC timelines are a little faster when your home is being bombed.

Re: another thread on here was talking about that. The question was how long does it take?

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Meanwhile, some CAF help on it's way to Poland ...
... and in a related development (via CAN immigration info-machine)
... In addition to our pre-existing (Visa App'n Centre) network, we have been working to set up additional biometrics collection locations and increased capacity at existing ones as demand requires such as in Chisinau. For example, additional biometric capacity has been added to the Visa Application network and missions in Warsaw, as well as to Vienna and Bucharest. Clients should visit the VAC website to find the closest service point ...

KevinB

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
IOC timelines are a little faster when your home is being bombed.

Re: another thread on here was talking about that. The question was how long does it take?
Depending on definition not long at all. To me IOC means as soon as the troops have it, and can employ it effectively.
Some will want to add all sort of caveats to support it during it's lifecycle - which makes sense in peacetime - as you don't want to prematurely deploy something and negatively impact it's lifespan -- but when looking at wartime, the quicker you can get it degrading enemy capabilities the better.

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Either that book or 'One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich'
Although a shorter read than "Gulag Archipeligo," I think anyone being guested at Lefortovo would have the time to take in the longer volume. Energy and unbroken fingers? Don't know. Time? Yup.