• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ukraine - Superthread

Haggis

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
It would if the headline of the article actually was based on fact. I'm afraid it's a bit off. There's no direct "paving the way" but more a bit of "wink-wink; nudge-nudge; say no more".
A statement by a government official at a presser is about as authoritative as a Tweet from the PM.

Woe be to the test case who ends up in the gulag after Ukraine falls and hopes he will get help from our government. They would be asking for more than the government is willing to give.

Furniture

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
A statement by a government official at a presser is about as authoritative as a Tweet from the PM.

Woe be to the test case who ends up in the gulag after Ukraine falls and hopes he will get help from our government. They would be asking for more than the government is willing to give.
Given that we are actively sending weapons to Ukraine to help them kill Russian soldiers, I'm pretty sure even government "intervention" isn't going to help much if captured.

Besides, lets be honest here, the people going over aren't thinking about what happen in 5 years. They are thinking, "I want to do something", "I want adventure", or "I want to go kill Russians, and maybe meet a nice Ukrainian because I love perogies, nachenka, nalysnysky, and borscht"....

And now I'm hungry.

Kirkhill

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
If Canadians went to the UKR to fight for UKR....they're state actors?

That depends.

100th Regiment, US Civil War Volunteers, Quebec Zouaves, Canadian Boatmen for Egypt, CMRs, Lord Strathcona's, Galt's PPCLI, MacPaps, the CEF, WW2 Canadian Army in Europe, Korean Special Force, Vietnam.

The rules of engagement differed in each case. In each case the government made a political calculation and determined what it could get away with while not breaking the country.

Politicians make decisions. But only if they absolutely have to.

Kirkhill

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
It would if the headline of the article actually was based on fact. I'm afraid it's a bit off. There's no direct "paving the way" but more a bit of "wink-wink; nudge-nudge; say no more".

S. 4 of the Foreign Enlistment Act provides:

In short the key portion of the statute is fighting for a foreign state "at war with any friendly foreign state".

I think that we can unanimously agree with the fact that the Ukraine definitely meets the definition of a "friendly foreign state". One our government is actively supporting. In other words it is clear that any Canadian fighting for Russia would clearly be in breach of the law.

The question is whether Russia is still a friendly state vis-a-vis Canada. We are not in open hostilities with Russia and, save for the sanctions, still have relations with Russia. The fact that we're furious at Russia does not necessarily change the status. And frankly the statute is weak on defining what the alternatives to "friendly" are: "hostile", "neutral"? To the best of my knowledge this provision has never been tested or defined in our courts and other nation's laws (the few that I've looked at) are just dissimilar enough to offer no black letter law guidance. In all probability, despite everything, Russia is still a "friendly state" within the meaning of the Act.

I think that our leaders are currently being very guarded and cautious with their language. That's understandable as while sanctioning Russia they don't want to aggravate future relationships with that country by giving clear encouragement to volunteers for the Ukraine.

Regardless, I sincerely doubt that there would ever be any prosecution under this law against any individual who fought for the Ukraine.

🍻

Especially seeing as how we seem to lack even the proverbial knife to take to the gunfight that is happening over there.

Kirkhill

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score

Canada pays the Ukrainian Government. The Ukrainians put money in escrow to manage the care of their "veterans". Regardless of the outcome.

Bob's your uncle.

HiTechComms

Reaction score

As much as I dislike his politics, I love Lindsey's way with words.

''A more successful Stauffenberg''
How is this not going to be used in Russia as propaganda? The Russians Pravda will be hey look a siting US senator is calling for assassinations? Twitter strikes again.

With sanctions, military aid aren't we now just cornering the Russians more? Cornered animals are dangerous.

cyber_lass

Reaction score
Given that we are actively sending weapons to Ukraine to help them kill Russian soldiers, I'm pretty sure even government "intervention" isn't going to help much if captured.

Besides, lets be honest here, the people going over aren't thinking about what happen in 5 years. They are thinking, "I want to do something", "I want adventure", or "I want to go kill Russians, and maybe meet a nice Ukrainian because I love perogies, nachenka, nalysnysky, and borscht"....

And now I'm hungry.
Only a fellow Uke would mention nachenka! ... Miss that crack... :)

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
Bit more info for the tire logistics?

View attachment 69161

Oh great, now there are tire nerds too ;)

Austin Powers Movie GIF

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
No, no, no, brother - that's UKRAINIAN NAZIS doing a false flag (pro-RUS amplifier site) ...
If Canadians went to the UKR to fight for UKR....they're state actors?
If they have to sign a two-year contract with the Territorial Defence Forces as some OS says? I defer to those with more legal knowledge, but as a layperson, I see a case could be made. I'm also seeing the law is a bit multilayered here, so I stand to be corrected.

If someone goes as Rambo & offers up their services outside UKR chain of command? Probably less of a case, but easier for the Russians to just shoot them saying, "hey, he was a civvy with a lit molotov cocktail in his hand eyeing up my APC."

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Also, here's the latest from the IAEA:
Ukraine informed the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) today that the site of the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant (NPP) had been shelled overnight and Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi immediately spoke with Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal as well as the country’s national nuclear regulator and operator about the serious situation.

Director General Grossi appealed for a halt of the use of force and warned of severe danger if any reactors were hit. He is expected to hold a press conference at 10:30 CET on Friday.

The Ukraine regulatory authority said a fire at the site had not affected “essential” equipment and plant personnel were taking mitigatory actions. There was no reported change in radiation levels at the plant, it said.

The IAEA is putting its Incident and Emergency Centre (IEC) in full response mode due to the situation at the Zaporizhzhia NPP, Director General Grossi said ...

Haggis

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Canada pays the Ukrainian Government. The Ukrainians put money in escrow to manage the care of their "veterans". Regardless of the outcome.

Bob's your uncle.
When Russia wins, the escrow is seized by the Kremlin, all those foreigners who joined an "illegal international terrorist militia" are declared criminals and:

a. spend the rest of their lives turning big rocks into little rocks; or
b. are publicly executed as enemies of the Sovetskogo Soyuza; or
c. both a. and and b.