• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

UK Strike Brigade

BrianWL

Reaction score
Looking for some insight into how the 3rd Div (UK) Strike Brigade might be deployed, particularly with no infantry assigned. Seems a bit limited.....

Looking for some insight into how the 3rd Div (UK) Strike Brigade might be deployed, particularly with no infantry assigned. Seems a bit limited.....

I Googled this and it mentions Infantry, so I'm not sure where you're getting your information:

There are literally hundreds of articles on this topic if you google "British Army Strike Brigade".

In short the brigade is a new concept to merge a divisional reconnaissance force with long range artillery to allow a fight to be done in depth long before an enemy advance gets to the division's front lines. When the concept first came out a few years ago there were actually two such brigade's conceived one of which was an experimental one designed to test out concepts and design and build organizations. In large measure the concept relies on two new vehicles for the Army's inventory, the tracked AJAX and the wheeled Boxer. The AJAX is designed particularly for the strike role and there are 93 of them on order of the Ares armoured personnel carrier version. The Boxer is primarily an infantry carrier designed for the mechanized infantry in the armoured brigades but has also been mentioned in connection with the Strike brigade in order to enhance its rapid deployability capability. Since both vehicles have not yet been deployed to field forces, it's hard to say exactly what the mix will be but it's heavily weighted in favour of the Ajax and Ares combination for the Strike brigade.

The design and organization of this brigade has changed several times over the last two to three years with the most recent version being set out in "Future Soldier"

Interestingly, when you look at the organization of "Future Soldier" you find that the military symbol for the brigade is an artillery one because all of 3 Division's artillery is concentrated in the Strike brigade. In that respect you can look at the brigades four cavalry regiments as more along the line of observation units for the brigade but with strong power to fight. It's my understanding that these cavalry units will have elements to them that are more infantry-like in character than pure reconnaissance. My guess is that there is a lot of study going on at this time of Ukraine and the tailoring of exactly how a cavalry unit is organized and equipped is still ongoing.

I think that if you think about this brigade being one designed to both provide reconnaissance as well as a robust capability to fight in broad, loose elements with a combination of artillery and close air support, anti-armour weapons, and infantry weapons you'll have a general idea of how it operates.

🍻

Thank you, appears their doctrine is still evolving...................

There are literally hundreds of articles on this topic if you google "British Army Strike Brigade".

In short the brigade is a new concept to merge a divisional reconnaissance force with long range artillery to allow a fight to be done in depth long before an enemy advance gets to the division's front lines. When the concept first came out a few years ago there were actually two such brigade's conceived one of which was an experimental one designed to test out concepts and design and build organizations. In large measure the concept relies on two new vehicles for the Army's inventory, the tracked AJAX and the wheeled Boxer. The AJAX is designed particularly for the strike role and there are 93 of them on order of the Ares armoured personnel carrier version. The Boxer is primarily an infantry carrier designed for the mechanized infantry in the armoured brigades but has also been mentioned in connection with the Strike brigade in order to enhance its rapid deployability capability. Since both vehicles have not yet been deployed to field forces, it's hard to say exactly what the mix will be but it's heavily weighted in favour of the Ajax and Ares combination for the Strike brigade.

The design and organization of this brigade has changed several times over the last two to three years with the most recent version being set out in "Future Soldier"

Interestingly, when you look at the organization of "Future Soldier" you find that the military symbol for the brigade is an artillery one because all of 3 Division's artillery is concentrated in the Strike brigade. In that respect you can look at the brigades four cavalry regiments as more along the line of observation units for the brigade but with strong power to fight. It's my understanding that these cavalry units will have elements to them that are more infantry-like in character than pure reconnaissance. My guess is that there is a lot of study going on at this time of Ukraine and the tailoring of exactly how a cavalry unit is organized and equipped is still ongoing.

I think that if you think about this brigade being one designed to both provide reconnaissance as well as a robust capability to fight in broad, loose elements with a combination of artillery and close air support, anti-armour weapons, and infantry weapons you'll have a general idea of how it operates.

🍻

And it's missing a few important bits and pieces, like tank transporters and other logistics enablers as well as some indirect fire assets, which MoD may not be willing to pay for in the future....

Back