• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

UK Clothing and Equipment of the Infantry compared with CA

JWJ

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

As I'm looking into applying from the UK, I'm wondering about the kind of equipment is issued to Infantrymen in Canada.

Here in the UK, we've recently brought in new Virtus armour - modular and lightweight armour that is adapted depending on your role in the section or patrol, for example Commander with more storage for equipment you'll have. It comes with a adaptable spine to shift where the weight sits on your back, side and neck armour you can add or take away easily, a quick release function in case you're wounded or snagged on something and seems very gucci.

We use webbing, or Personal Load Carrying Equipment, to carry the stuff we need to have to survive a day or two in the field without resupplying, consisting of a hip belt with pouches containing the necessities of ammo, water, food, first aid, cooking equipment etc, with a yoke harness that goes over the shoulder and down the back, which can sit under or over the armour. Typically carrying 6 30rnd magazines, with more magazines and loose rounds in bergen/assault pack. Usually weighs around 32lbs, along with rifle, helmet and armour ontop of that.

Sleeping wise, bashas are the most common shelter used, which is a poncho or a basha sheet, essentially a small camo tarp, you can either tie to two trees and peg down at one side, or use it like a tent, with a inflatable roll mat to sleep on and sleeping bag inside a waterproof bivvi bag. Very warm, comfortable and easy to put up/take down if done correctly.

Thats the basic stuff, what differences / comparisons are there with the Canadian Infantry? Anything else to add to this or any further questions/more detail wanted, ask away!

Attachments

• _89734149_89734148.jpg
    _89734149_89734148.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 300
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 288
We have cheap shitty equipment that's designed without infantry soldiers in mind. More of a one size fits all approach. Soldiers are often punished for paying out of their own pocket to upgrade their kit and we get asinine orders like tan gloves and dump pouches are banned.

You'll be happier as an infantryman in the UK military. You'll also deploy to combat zones more.

Jarnhamar said:
We have cheap shitty equipment that's designed without infantry soldiers in mind. More of a one size fits all approach. Soldiers are often punished for paying out of their own pocket to upgrade their kit

Kind of like the British Army in the 1980s, with better pay and working/ living conditions. Seriously :)

JWJ said:
As I'm looking into applying from the UK, I'm wondering about the kind of equipment is issued to Infantrymen in Canada.

You may find these discussions of interest,

What is the full infantry kit on regular combat operations?
https://army.ca/forums/threads/101539.0

"The stuff the army issues is useless" and "no non-issue kit over seas!" 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/33365.1050
80 pages.

Our issue kit is fit for purpose, although of course the contract goes to the lowest bidder..

In training, your training team will most likely destroy you if you buy non-issue kit, although when you get to Unit, once you're settled in and accepted you are pretty much able to buy and use whatever kit you want, as long as the uniform is proper MTP PCS, so if you want you can go out and buy £400 set of webbing that is extremely comfortable, padded and durable etc. A common thing guys buy is Jetboils instead of using the little BCB liquid fuel cookers.

And boots, most guys will go out and buy an expensive pair of Lowa's or similar, although the issue Haix boots are in my opinion superb and perfect for me, especially the Cold Wet Weather ones, completely water proof, added padding inside, amazing comfort and warmth and they moulded to my feet after a day of walking around in them.

Is that serious? You can't use non-issue kit at all on operations? Does that include boots? Is that the same in non line-infantry i.e CSOR?

Also, if I had it my way I'd be about to head off to CTCRM Lympstone to join the Royal Marines, but I may be medically unfit in the UK, but not in Canada. Hence why I'm poking my head around. Joining /a/ military is better than not, nothing else is suited or appeals to me in any way shape or form.

recceguy said:
They'll do better once Brexit is over. [;)
Infantry Soldiers are paid the same wage as a senior LCpl/Cpl in the UK in non-medical/technical roles. But, how much is the pay increase for promotions? Is it like the Aussie army whos pay starts high, but doesn't increase much as you progress.

JWJ said:
But, how much is the pay increase for promotions?

Pay Scales for Regular Force 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/123858.0

JWJ said:
Is that serious? You can't use non-issue kit at all on operations? Does that include boots?

BOOT REGULATIONS: issued vs. non-issued vs. non-standard boots 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/29061.75
15 pages.

JWJ said:
Is that serious? You can't use non-issue kit at all on operations? Does that include boots? Is that the same in non line-infantry i.e CSOR?

Some units are more strict on non issue kit compared to others.  Where I am, non issue rigs, boots, etc are very common and allowed.

Also, CANSOFCOM units are issued much better kit to begin with. They would also be more relaxed with regards to personally purchased kit I would imagine.

LightFighter said:
Some units are more strict on non issue kit compared to others.  Where I am, non issue rigs, boots, etc are very common and allowed.

Also, CANSOFCOM units are issued much better kit to begin with. They would also be more relaxed with regards to personally purchased kit I would imagine.

Ah okay, that makes more sense.

Do you find that the actual clothing is of a good quality and fit for use? For example we use UBACs under the armour that have a air-wicking design in the centre where the armour covers you, to help comfort and sweat, whilst the bits that are outside the armour are standard MTP design, although I find the MTP trousers are far too easy to tear and rip - I went to ground behind a tree in a light woodland, stood up afterwards and realised I had a 7-inch 90 degree tear in my trousers which was rather enjoyable..

You might want to type out your abbreviations in full so that people can understand you....

Loachman said:
You might want to type out your abbreviations in full so that people can understand you....

I kinda thought the abbreviations I used were fairly straight forward..

I thought MTP would be known as the British cam pattern, being Multi-Terrain Pattern, PCS just means Personal Clothing System.

The rest are probably brand names, like BCB, which is a brand of liquid fuel.

I hope you know what LCPL/CPL means but oh well.

JWJ - don't take it personally.

This mob don't even understand when you use complete words.  Brown sauce is a mystery to them.  [:D

I've been over here 50 years and they still don't understand me.

Chris Pook said:
JWJ - don't take it personally.

This mob don't even understand when you use complete words.  Brown sauce is a mystery to them.  [:D

I've been over here 50 years and they still don't understand me.

At least the term "remittance man" has largely gone the way of the Dodo bird.

[quote author=JWJ]
I hope you know what LCPL/CPL means but oh well.
[/quote]

Damn, you sound like a real BTDT kinda bloke.

Jarnhamar said:
Damn, you sound like a real BTDT kinda bloke.

My sincere apologies, I'll refrain from treating people like adults with minor expectations of their knowledge in something that is standard across the western world.

You didn't see what I saw, man. You weren't there.

JWJ said:
My sincere apologies, I'll refrain from treating people like adults with minor expectations of their knowledge in something that is standard across the western world.

As a Canuk, I read "MTP" and think "Main Teaching Points" ... all acronyms don't translate the same.  Don't take it personal.  :cheers:

ArmyVern said:
As a Canuk, I read "MTP" and think "Main Teaching Points" ... all acronyms don't translate the same.  Don't take it personal.  :cheers:

I don't aha, I made the thread with the idea of sharing knowledge etc, but theres nice ways to ask questions and there are arrogant ways. Both result in different responses.

Half the time I'm using google to translate when I'm reading most of the posts on here and don't get me started on my own handwritting.. You'd need a PhD to decipher my scribbles.

JWJ said:

Standard across the western world?  Not so much. Don't feel too bad padawan, acronyms aren't standard across the same military let alone allied militaries. Easy to confuse that I'd imagine. 

They say 6mm rounds don't just leave physical scars.

Back