• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

U.S. Patriot Act can eyeball private Canadian records

Goober

Inactive
Reaction score
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2004/10/29/692305-cp.html

U.S. Patriot Act can eyeball private Canadian records, says B.C. report

By DIRK MEISSNER

VICTORIA (CP) - The USA Patriot Act has the power to eyeball private information about Canadians despite attempts by governments in Canada to thwart probes by American authorities, says a report released Friday by British Columbia's privacy commissioner.

The long arm of the Patriot Act allows U.S. authorities to access the personal information of Canadians if it ends up in the United States or if it is held by U.S. companies in Canada, David Loukidelis concludes in his report.

The B.C. government passed a law this month aimed at preventing U.S. authorities from examining information about British Columbians held by private U.S. companies. It included fines ranging from $2,000 for individuals to $500,000 for corporations.

Loukidelis's report appears to confirm concerns of B.C. civil liberties groups and labour unions who fear the government's planned outsourcing of personal medical records to private U.S. companies could be viewed by the FBI and other U.S. agencies.

The 151-page report also concluded U.S. courts have the power to require American companies to produce records held in Canada by subsidiaries "because they have the legal or practical ability to obtain the records."

The Patriot Act was enacted following the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. Section 215 of the act allows a special court to secretly issue an order requiring "the production of any tangible things" to the FBI.

It gives the U.S. government sweeping powers to review information banks of private and public businesses in an effort to hunt down terrorists

Loukidelis examined concerns U.S. authorities such as the FBI might have access to B.C. residents' health information if the provincial government contracts out the billing of medical premiums to a company with a U.S. parent.

The FBI and U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft were asked last May to contribute to the B.C. study.

"We have concluded that if information is located outside British Columbia, it will be subject to the law that applies where it is found, regardless of an outsourcing contract," said Loukidelis's report.

"Therefore, if an outsourcing agreement calls for personal information to be sent to the United States, that that information would be subject to the USA Patriot Act while in the United States."

The B.C. legislation amended the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act to, among other things, restrict storage and access of information outside Canada and included fines for those who improperly disclose private information.

Loukidelis said the best Canadian governments can do is mitigate the possibility American authorities will examine Canadian information.

He recommended overhauling Canadian and provincial privacy laws to make it tougher to access the Canadian information.

The commissioner heard more than 500 submissions from unions and the provincial government, from private citizens and from U.S. authorities.

He said people feel they are losing control over what happens to their personal information and worry their privacy rights are being overtaken by security concerns.

Many are also concerned there is too much blurring of the lines between information used for domestic law enforcement, information used by governments who provide services and information used by governments investigating terrorism threats.

Outsourcing to U.S. companies by provincial governments isn't unique to B.C., Loukidelis said.

Nova Scotia employs a U.S. based company to manage provincial government databases, including social assistance, payroll and motor vehicle registration. Control of the data base remains in Canada.

Saskatchewan has outsourced some government services to U.S. companies and Ontario has outsourced social assistance operations to a private company.

Even Statistics Canada has signed a contract with Lockheed Martin Canada - which has a U.S. parent - to develop the hardware and software to process census forms, Loukidelis said. But all the data will be handled by Statistics Canada.

CIBC credit card holders in Canada sign an agreement that their information could be viewed by U.S. authorities, the report said.

-----------------------------------------

Well, what do you think of this one? Would you mind that the US authorities could have access to your personal information? I mean, if your not a terrorist, you have nothing to worry about right?

I guess we should stop outsourcing the work so as to keep info in our own hands.  If the US  is allowed to access info in Canada we should pass a law that allows us to access info of Canadian companies that have operations in the US and get there private info.

Goober said:
Well, what do you think of this one? Would you mind that the US authorities could have access to your personal information? I mean, if your not a terrorist, you have nothing to worry about right?

Wow I do hope you're being sarcastic  :eek:

So a foreign government has access to my personal information, all in the interest of their so-called national security. And viewing my hypothetical CIBC credit card could really assist the U.S. in their war on terror. "Hmmm....all those clothes at the Gap, I dunno, she'll need something to wear when she blows up the White House."  ::)

Uh-oh, I've said too much.

DISCLAIMER: No I'm not actually planning to do that (as black unmarked van pulls into driveway)

Sorry, this sort of nonsense is what happens after staring at a computer screen all day and writing essays.  :p

You know what they say-Clothes make the man\woman!
If you buy a lot o trench coats and balacava's

gun plumber said:
You know what they say-Clothes make the man\woman!
If you buy a lot o trench coats and balacava's

You have no fashion sense?

;D

Back