• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

U.S. Military Deserters in Canada Megathread

News of imminent deportation shocks U.S. army deserter
ROD MICKLEBURGH From Wednesday's Globe and Mail July 8, 2008 at 11:21 PM EDT
Article Link

VANCOUVER —

Canadian authorities appear to be speeding up efforts to deport U.S. army deserters, despite a key Federal Court decision just last Friday in favour of so-called "war resisters".

Deserter Robin Long, his supporters and his lawyers were stunned yesterday to learn that Mr. Long, currently being held in a Nelson jail, was in danger of being sent back to the United States as early as today.

"His removal is imminent ¡Kprobably within a day or two," Canada Border Services Agency lawyer Rick Lengert„© told a hastily arranged Immigration and Refugee Board hearing.

There had been no warning to Mr. Long that he was in danger of being sent back to the United States so quickly, and it came as a particular shock to his lawyer, Shepherd Moss, in light of last week's court decision upholding deserter Joshua Key's appeal of his failed refugee application.

Mr. Moss served notice that he would seek an emergency, after-hours sitting of the Federal Court to ask for an immediate stay of his client's deportation.

Late yesterday, the border agency agreed to make no move to deport Mr. Long until Monday, giving his lawyer a bit more time.

But Mr. Long's supporters were nonetheless outraged by the suddenness of his arrest and near deportation.

The 25-year-old failed refugee claimant was arrested in Nelson on a deportation warrant on Friday, the same day as Mr. Key's victory in the courts.

No one on Mr. Long's side was informed until just before the Immigration and Refugee Board hearing began yesterday afternoon that approval for his deportation had been granted by immigration officials two months ago.

"Basically, they're trying to kidnap war resisters and get them into the hands of George Bush," steamed Bob Ages of the Vancouver War Resisters Support Campaign. "This is the closest thing to rendition we've had in this country since Maher Arar. It's outrageous. What are these enforcement people up to?"
More on link

All I can say is

Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye
  8)

My god, this court decision has rendered me speechless.  The poor guy just wanted to live in Canada, the greatest country on earth, and they won't let him?!  I need a moment to regain my composure I'm so choked up.....

.....ok I'm good now

Later pal  :nana:

Adios amigo. Hope the prison door hits you on the way out....into a US prison where things are so cushy  ;D

Would any other type of criminal be allowed to stay in Canada free and clear? I'm asking honostly, because my assumptions lead me to believe we'd kick out anyone else that the US is after, be they pedophiles, rapists, car thieves, what have you. Using a bunch of colorful adjectives to describe the head of state in the US shouldn't really make a difference...

Hippies are so comical to me.

With Canadian's fighting and dieing in Afgn., there's no way these piece's of C##p should be sitting on there butts here in Canada !  :threat:

The cynic in me says they'll be successful in getting it delayed.  The optimist says, "Here's your coat.  What's the rush?".

There had been no warning to Mr. Long that he was in danger of being sent back to the United States so quickly, and it came as a particular shock to his lawyer,

No warning...shock to his lawyer....J*****' Mary & Joseph, his yellow ass shoulda been about-turned back across the border as soon as it was realized he was a deserter.

Just to amuse himself while he's waiting extradition here's an old movie he can watch:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071477/

Do hippies not like being called hippies anymore? War-resister supporter just doesn't sound right. Go drink some wheat grass juice.....hippie

Shec said:
Just to amuse himself while he's waiting extradition here's an old movie he can watch:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071477/
:rofl:

bilton090 said:
  With Canadian's fighting and dieing in Afgn., there's no way these piece's of C##p should be sitting on there butts here in Canada !  :threat:
My feelings  exactly!!! Here are our troops doing thier duty overthere and some are coming back horizontal, and these {people} want to DESERT to our country. 
MAN up! You signed the line for the military now do the job you signed up for.
:rage:    :rage:
Guys like this make me upchuck. 
:cdn: Our Colours Don't Run

Mods....thanks for moving the post to the proper thread....knew it was there, but never thought to look under politics....

Instead of letting them stay here :they should be discharge from there own outfit and then make them pay for there training they received. :crybaby:
Thus they still have an obligation for there money and benefits they received.
It a crybaby way to duck there obligation and the NDP and Liberal whiners feel sorry for them.
Nobody want to work with them and there just a pain in the ass to everyone. :rage:
When the PPCLI 2ND battalion was due to go to England(1939) :eek:. All soldier were ask to take one step forward to go over sea. Two Corporals refused to go. They were strip of there rank and discharge from the forces. ;D

If our court uphold the concept of a "military vounteer refugee", then aren't there consequences  for the CF?

If we accept deserters from the American peacetime Regular Army, could soldiers here legally "object" to, say, a peacekeeping mission as not being in keeping with their personal convictions?

Just a chilling thought.

North star
Cdn objectors ??? ... they can always go and ask for refugee status in the US....... see how far that will get them

Bob Rae wades in...I assume that this is official Liberal policy?

http://www.thestar.com/comment/article/458270

Why U.S. war resisters deserve refuge in Canada

Harper has allowed Canadian legal system to become an extension of American martial law

The struggles through Canadian courts and prisons by young American soldiers opposed to the war in Iraq has naturally raised the memory of another time, the arrival in our midst of thousands of young men resisting the draft and Vietnam War.

Forty years ago, American conscription created a lottery that meant a generation – my exact contemporaries – did not have the luxury I had of expressing political opinions without having to disobey the law. Many were able to get their requirement of service deferred. Some enlisted and then deserted, others just came to Canada as visitors and never left.

It was a different time then. Immigrants were not legally barred from applying for landed immigrant status from within Canada, and immigration officials were given much discretion in allowing young men through without asking too many questions about draft status or military service. That is not to say that decisions were taken lightly.

At the time, those coming over as draft dodgers and deserters knew they would not be able to return home without facing arrest. It would be years before a general amnesty would allow that to happen, and it applied just to the draft dodgers; deserters are still arrested if they return.

There was a sense of a deep inner conflict in each decision. Families left behind, parents bewildered, loyalties and values divided, often in ways that proved impossible to resolve.

The Pearson and Trudeau governments kept the border open, despite U.S. objections, and refused to allow Canadian border officials to become agents of American military policy. It strained the relationship – as did public statements by Canadian officials about the war itself – but it did not break it.

The Vietnam generation has made an extraordinary contribution to the life of the country. In every walk of life, in every profession, in every community, Canada is a better place because we decided to become a place of refuge for those seeking a different political home, even those who were defying American military law to do so.

How different life seems today. The young Americans and their families who have come to Canada because of their refusal to obey military orders in Iraq are being given no quarter or refuge by the Harper government. Robin Long is being held in a prison cell in British Columbia. Corey Glass hopes for some solace from a renewed application for refugee status after a judgment of the Federal Court.

ad nauseum

More at link...should you have the stomach.

I have had the displeasure of having one as a boss in a prison. He was worry more about prisoners rights to have drugs than the safety of staff or inmates. :crybaby:
He went to my local legion and I had him barred from using our legion.
They always look for an easy way to duck responsibility. Sound like a Liberal or NDP.

Gee....is that bright orange bleeding through that Liberal Red?

A letter of mine in the Toronto Star:

Iraq action U.N.-sactioned
http://www.thestar.com/comment/article/458858

Jul 12, 2008 04:30 AM

Re: Why U.S. war resisters deserve refuge in Canada

Opinion, July 11

Liberal foreign affairs critic Bob Rae claims that a member of the U.S. armed forces ordered to Iraq "... realizes that what he's being asked to do is in no way authorized by international law."

Not so. The United States and coalition military presence – and use of force – in Iraq have in fact been fully authorized by the United Nations Security Council since it adopted resolution 1511 on Oct. 16, 2003.

That resolution "authorizes a multinational force under unified command to take all necessary measures to contribute to the maintenance of security and stability in Iraq."

Most recently, on Dec. 18, 2007, the Security Council extended the mandate of those foreign forces – for the last time – until Dec. 31, 2008. After that their presence will need to be on the basis of agreement with the government of Iraq.

So, contrary to Rae, since October 2003 any U.S. deserters concerned about Iraq are in fact refusing to participate in a UN-sanctioned war.

Mark Collins, Ottawa

Here are the references sent with the letter:

Resolution 1511 October 16, 2003
http://www.globalpolicy.org/security/issues/iraq/document/2003/1016resolution.htm

SECURITY COUNCIL, ACTING ON IRAQ’S REQUEST, EXTENDS ‘FOR LAST TIME’ MANDATE OF MULTINATIONAL FORCE
http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2007/sc9207.doc.htm

And here's a rather punchy post July 11 at The Torch by Babbling Brooks on the same subject:

All he needs now is the grey ponytail
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2008/07/all-he-needs-now-is-grey-ponytail.html

Mark
Ottawa

Back