• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

U.S. 2012 Election

On Nov 6 Who Will Win President Obama or Mitt Romney ?

• President Obama

Votes: 39 61.9%
  • Mitt Romney

Votes: 24 38.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I picked Romney.  Many of the polls are over-sampling Democrats, but the early balloting is suggesting that there are many more voting for Romney than Obama.

For the record I pick President Obama, by personal preference and by watching a number of polling sites like this one.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2012/11/05/all_over_but_the_vote_counting_116058.html

In the last few days the polls show Obama (Hurricane Sandy ?) gaining a slight edge.

I hope Obama wins now that I've seen CBC's lead story -- "Can black America withstand an Obama loss?"
I'd hate to see 13% of the US population pack up and move back to Africa by next weekend. 
        ::)

(actually, I'm not getting too worked up either way; there's too many checks & balances.....between Constitutional and pork-barrelling debts to repay.....to keep either from getting too exreme)

I frankly don't have enough information to make an informed guess. My preference is for Romney, if for no other reason than that Obama has failed to deliver on all sorts of fronts after being oversold as the saviour of America. Romney, I fear, lacks any firm position on just about anything, which might mean that he can broker deals with the two houses of Congress. The polls seem to be contradictory, but I am guessing Obama with a narrow edge - say 30 votes - in the Electoral College. This could push the US economy off the cliff and may well lead to disaster for the US military if the January 1st deadline arrives without a deal in Congress to scrap the automatic budget cuts.

It's Tweedledumb vs Tweedledumber; neither offers much to America or the world. It is "events, dear boy, events"* that will drive the US society and economy for the next four years, not politicians. The politicians will march (or flee or scramble, etc) in the directions the events dictate, not the other way around.

tweedlee_dee_dum.jpg

No vote from me as the outcome is inconsequential.

-----
* Probably not said by Harold Macmillan, but a useful quote anyway

Journeyman
Reply #12 on: Today at 08:17:19 »
(actually, I'm not getting too worked up either way; there's too many checks & balances.....between Constitutional and pork-barrelling debts to repay.....to keep either from getting too exreme)
[/quote]

Too extreme for me, kill Obamacare,an  increase to the defence budget which has not been requested by the military.

DO NOT start getting into the realm of the locked thread or this one will go down too.

Leave the comment to who you voted for and why. The OP has already requested this. There is no requirement for back and forth discussion.

The question is who did you pick as the winner. Leave it there.

Milnet.ca Staff

SeaKingTacco said:
On the theory that, since conservatives were under-polled in the last Canadian Federal election, lets see if the same is true in the US.
Interesting point.  So, relying on Wikipedia, the last 20 polls in the 2011 election had, on average, the Conservatives at 36%, Liberals at 21%, NDP at 31%, the bloc at 6%, Greens at 4 % and "others" at 2% (all averages are rounded).  The results were 40% Conservatives, 19% Liberals, 31% NDP, bloc at 6%, Greens at 4% and others at 1% (all rounded).  Though bloc and NDP were bang on, the "predictions" on the conservatives were off ~4%.

Oh well, in two days we can focus on important things, such as the up coming CFL playoffs :)

The voting booth decision for Americans is heart vs head.

In 2008, hearts won.

In 2012, heads will win.

Calling it for Romney  . . .    300+ Electoral College votes. 

I say Romney as well. I think Democrats have been over sampled, many undecided are wary of the media and have not voiced their true intentions, much of the minority vote that changed sides last time, may not go to Obama this time.

I also think that Americans, like Canadians are not going to succumb to the politics of fear. The demonization of the conservative voter may work against Mr Obama rather than for him.

I'm going to go out on a limb and go for a tie....Romney as president, and Biden as vice president.

RDJP said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and go for a tie....Romney as president, and Biden as vice president.

That would have to be a nightmare scenario. ;D
The pollsters for some reason are content to call it a tie right now. They cant be wrong.
Watch the exit polls and how they are reported. Take it with a grain of salt. What matters are the actual votes which should begin around 2000 hrs.
If you want to play with the election map here is a link.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/2012_elections_electoral_college_map.html

tomahawk6 said:

:D    I could not imagine Romney or Biden smiling on day one. Well maybe Biden, but that's about it.    :ditto:

I voted Obama. He is the incumbent and it appears he has made a decent push throughout the last two weeks. I think this election is going to have more than a few "firsts".

tomahawk6 said:

One that could easily become true: 

http://news.yahoo.com/romney-biden-administration-could-happen-223736689--abc-news-politics.html

Mitt. 

Obama over promised and under-delivered the past fours years which has really hurt the enthusiasm for his "brand".

Technoviking said:
Interesting point.  So, relying on Wikipedia, the last 20 polls in the 2011 election had, on average, the Conservatives at 36%, Liberals at 21%, NDP at 31%, the bloc at 6%, Greens at 4 % and "others" at 2% (all averages are rounded).  The results were 40% Conservatives, 19% Liberals, 31% NDP, bloc at 6%, Greens at 4% and others at 1% (all rounded).  Though bloc and NDP were bang on, the "predictions" on the conservatives were off ~4%.

Oh well, in two days we can focus on important things, such as the up coming CFL playoffs :)

Over or under polling can itself skew the outcome as many undecided and uninformed (deliberately or otherwise) voters may look to the polls and vote for who is leading. That being said, I am going to throw in for Romney.

Back