• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

U.K. Patient Plays Violin During Unusual Brain Tumor Surgery

BeyondTheNow

Staff member
Directing Staff
Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
This is incredible. As an individual who’s musically inclined, I’m touched that such measures were taken to preserve her talent(s), and to make sure nothing was adversely affected. I’m not sure what my reaction would be if something were to permanently interfere with my abilities. All musicians can tell you that their life simply wouldn’t be the same. What a remarkable process.

U.K. Patient Plays Violin During Unusual Brain Tumor Surgery

(LONDON) — Surgeons at King’s College Hospital in London removed a brain tumor from a woman who played the violin during the procedure.

Doctors for violinist Dagmar Turner, 53, mapped her brain before the surgery to identify areas that were active when she played the instrument and those responsible for controlling language and movement. Doctors then woke her in mid-procedure so she could play to “ensure the surgeons did not damage any crucial areas of the brain that controlled Dagmar’s delicate hand movements,” the hospital said in a statement.

“We knew how important the violin is to Dagmar, so it was vital that we preserved function in the delicate areas of her brain that allowed her to play,” said Prof. Keyoumars Ashkan, her neurosurgeon. “We managed to remove over 90% of the tumor, including all the areas suspicious of aggressive activity, while retaining full function in her left hand.”

Turner, who plays in Isle of Wight Symphony Orchestra and various choral societies, left the hospital three days later and hopes to return to her orchestra soon. She was full of praise for the efforts of Ashkan, a fellow music lover...

Full article and footage:

https://time.com/5786393/patient-plays-violin-during-brain-surgery/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_term=health_&linkId=82654022

Back