• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Types of rounds in the cf

san012

Inactive
Reaction score
So I'm on bmq (reserves weekend) and im having my weapons handling exam this weekend. I do know what to expect but I heard they are going to ask about types of rounds, positions, cleaning rifle and marksmanship principles.

I can't remember the types of rounds used in the cf. iiknow there are:

Dummies: the ones we're using for the exam. These are used for drills and pracitces. They contain no gun powder and are silver.

Blanks contain gun powder but no real bullet

Tracers: Real bullets, the ones we use at the range

I can't remember the rest. Did I name every characteristic?

san012 said:
Tracers: Real bullets, the ones we use at the range
Real bullets, yes, but more specifically these are the ones that burn bright on the backside so you can visually trace the projectile path through the air.

You have forgotten Ball - the real bullets that do not glow.

san012 said:
Balls are used when?

Ball is the most common round, when you do your PWT on the C7 ball ammo is what you will use. As well, when you see a belt of C6 and C9 ammo, the majority of those bullets will be ball, but every 5th round will be tracer.

What else am I going to be asked? I'm trying to prepared as much as I can

san012 said:
What else am I going to be asked? I'm trying to prepared as much as I can

Well, did you pay attention during your classes? Everything your staff has covered is a potential question.

I did but there are so many things we covered that I don't know what to expect. I don't wanna fail the exam

san012 said:
I did but there are so many things we covered that I don't know what to expect. I don't wanna fail the exam
WOW!  :facepalm:
You want the answers given to you, so you can pass a 'knowledge' exam; Then if/when live rounds are actually coming at YOU, you expect to know what to do??? Does your fire team partner do your 'physical' tests for you also?

If you have questions, ask the course instructor. He DOES NOT want you going off asking strangers questions on what they are trying to teach you. They especially want to know if you do NOT understand, it may be rough, but they want to ensure you know the subject matter. Someday, you could be watching their backs and they will want that knowledge behind them.

ME

Sigs Pig said:
WOW!  :facepalm:
You want the answers given to you, so you can pass a 'knowledge' exam; Then if/when live rounds are actually coming at YOU, you expect to know what to do??? Does your fire team partner do your 'physical' tests for you also?

If you have questions, ask the course instructor. He DOES NOT want you going off asking strangers questions on what they are trying to teach you. They especially want to know if you do NOT understand, it may be rough, but they want to ensure you know the subject matter. Someday, you could be watching their backs and they will want that knowledge behind them.

ME

Whatever you might think , the instructor are not there to make you fail.  Come up to them as soon as you can and tell them you want to make sure you understand correctly and that you might need a little time with them to make sure you do.  They will provide you with that time to ensure you know what you are talking about and doing.  This is not a regular Ethic test , this is about live firearms , and live weapons handling , this is not a joke , and they won't take it lightly !

ask them and they will help you , this is what instructors do !

I know the physical stuff like IA and make safe and function checks. But hey I'm just what are we going to cover. I Remember most of the stuff but not all

san012 said:
I know the physical stuff like IA and make safe and function checks. But hey I'm just what are we going to cover. I Remember most of the stuff but not all

Why didn't you ask last weekend? Do you have your instructors email address? What about a coursemate?

Considering the wealth of information here at army.ca from people who have been in the CF longer than I've been alive and industry experts like KevinB asking questions here really isn't the blasphomey that some of you are making it out to be.

He's new to the CF and trying to learn, give him a break.

I don't think anyone is bashing on him.  We are only saying that if he needs more info , he should ask some teammates or staff member , as far as I know , this is what CF is all about , building a team spirit and the staff is there to provide the info. 

Usually you would get a review before the exam just to make sure everyone knows the stuff.  There is also a way to ask the staff about a review or a bit more info is you really aren't sure.

san012 said:
Balls are used when?

Typically when one identifies a gap in his knowledge and asks his instructor for guidance despite the potential of disappointment or anger.

"Balls are used when?"
Shamrock said:
Typically when one identifies a gap in his knowledge and asks his instructor for guidance despite the potential of disappointment or anger.
EXACTLY! I mentioned it would be rough. But it does seem like an easy thing to do.... now!

san012 - Ask questions, always ask if you do not know. At my civilian job, I always tell the apprentices to ask questions, you will never learn otherwise. So drive the course instructor nuts, you will learn, and the best part, they will not forget you, even years down the road and that can be a good thing.

ME

krimynal said:
I don't think anyone is bashing on him.  We are only saying that if he needs more info , he should ask some teammates or staff member , as far as I know , this is what CF is all about , building a team spirit and the staff is there to provide the info. 

Usually you would get a review before the exam just to make sure everyone knows the stuff.  There is also a way to ask the staff about a review or a bit more info is you really aren't sure.

He's on a reserve course.  Part time.  Likely every two weekends.  So the benefit of having course mates handy or duty staff like marching NCOs and such are likely not there like on a full time course.

army.ca is a ready ressource.  Or at least it could be. 

I did my BMQ on a weekend basis , every 2 weekend , and we had a facebook group , we spoke to each other by SMS , if YOU WANT a teamspirit , you make do. 

the staff gave us personal email / cell number if we had any questions.

Yeah Army.ca is a good site, but you should still try the first 2 options simply because this is the right way to do it

He should be studying his notes and handouts. If he doesn't have any, that's his most valuable lesson learned at this point. If he fails, he'll be given extra instruction and another chance.

Time to grow up and stop depending on others. There's only one person responsible if he fails.

krimynal said:
This is not a regular Ethic test , this is about live firearms , and live weapons handling , this is not a joke
It sounds like you are saying Ethics are a joke  ;)

Back