• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

True Grit at Medals Parade

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
An amazing story of determination.Very inspirational to one and all. :salute:
The link has a second picture as well.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/article1995475.ece

SNN0305TT-682_669027a.jpg

HERO Para Tom Neathway steps up to collect a medal from Prince Charles yesterday — despite losing three limbs in Afghanistan.

The proud moment was the target the 25-year-old sniper had fought for ever since he was blown up by a Taliban booby-trap bomb last July.

L/Cpl Tom has amazed doctors with his determination to walk again after the loss of both legs and his left arm.

And yesterday he stood side-by-side with the rest of his war-weary unit, the 2nd Battalion, the Parachute Regiment, to receive campaign medals from the Prince — their Colonel in Chief. Tom, of Worcester, grinned broadly as he walked off the parade ground at Merville Barracks in Colchester, Essex, on his new prosthetic legs.

He was the first of eight seriously-wounded paras decorated by the Prince. In all, 500 soldiers from 2, 3 and 4 Para received medals from Charles and wife Camilla.

Addressing the troops, the Prince said of the eight: “They set an amazing example.”

The Sun revealed three months ago that Tom is only the second triple amputee British serviceman in the past 30 years.

He also lost a testicle and part of a thumb to the bomb, hidden by a sandbag.

Yesterday was the first time family and pals had seen him walk on his new legs.

Tom said after the parade: “Today was a bit of a milestone. It wasn’t hard to do but it was hard to be able to do. It’s taken months, but I was always going to do it. My next goal is to get back to work.”

Delighted dad Alan, a 57-year-old builder, said: “It was very emotional. His mum and I were so proud. I always knew Tom would walk again. He’s an amazing kid.”

Last Sunday The Sun arranged for Tom to meet his Chelsea FC heroes John Terry and Frank Lampard at Stamford Bridge.

Absolutely awesome!  Good on you, L/Cpl Tom!!  :salute:

Hmmm....
Lost a testicle ???  sounds to me like this fella had & has big brass ones.
Lost a thumb ??? any chance that it's the one on his left hand ??? :sigh: that would be wishful thinging I guess.
Had a look at the posted photo & it certainly does look like they grafted a big toe to replace his thumb.... one can only guess that they managed to recover one from his foot during all that surgery he must've gone thru.

Anyway BZ on his ability to face the ennemy and come out on top

Soldier on my friend - soldier on!

CHIMO!

Well Done !!  :salute: You serve as an example for the rest of us!!

Men and women like this have more courage in their little fingers than most politicians. Hear that Jack, Stephane, Gilles, and Iggy....oh and I didn't forget "Red Bob" Rae either.

Well Done Lad...up there with MCPL Paul Franklin and others who lost limbs for Queen and Country.
And judgeing from the bloody big smile on his face...damn proud  :salute:
BZ  :cdn:

Amazing!  No words can express the admiration for this Soldior. BZ!!  :salute:  :cdn:  :salute:

Words can't even come close to expressing how truly inspirational this young man is. :salute:

That is the same look I saw on Canada's first tri-amp from Afghanistan.  Sheer determination and pride.
Good on you!

It's the maroon beret of course. Gives you superhuman powers. Far better than a cheesy Superman cape  ;)

Utrinque Paratus, indeed.

Always proud of our Airborne brothers!

I would expect nothing less.

Airborne!

daftandbarmy said:
It's the maroon beret of course. Gives you superhuman powers. Far better than a cheesy Superman cape  ;)

Utrinque Paratus, indeed.

Mine made me bullet-proof! 8)

Back