• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Treating Reservists with PTSD

T

tatonka

I‘m trying to develop a documentary for CBC Newsworld about how the military cares for reservists with PTSD as a result of a UN/NATO tour. Based on the research I‘ve done so far, it seems the system is set up to treat regulars still in uniform... but it‘s inadequate when it comes to offering care to ex-soldiers and reservists. In fact, you could easily go without (treatment and benefits) if you aren‘t lucky enough to have a civilian professional capable of diagnosing PTSD in your area. Does this gibe with others‘ experience/knowledge of the situation? Any idea (anecdotally) how many reservists might be in need of care?

I thought the number of pers reqr treatment was around
10% of pers deployed, but that was a figure from the
mid-90s, so it may not be correct, as our current operations
don‘t seem to be as intense or bloody, of course that could
change in an instant if we were to be sent somewhere new.

I can tell you that I know of NO reservists who have been treated for PTSD although I feel several of us are feeling the effects to some degree. Unfortunately often the home unit of many returning reservists has few if any other "veterans" who are able to deal with or understand the issue and often the member will release or becomes a disciplinary case. I know of several soldiers who fit this bill and it is usually because of the process of returning to from a unit who doesn‘t care, to a unit and public who doesn‘t care.

Incidentally Mr.Magoo, the bloodiness or intensity of an operation has little to do with PTSD, it has to do more with how the unit/individual deals with the stress that comes from the operations and/or critical incidents.

Andyboy,

If you or anyone else you know think they are suffering from PTSD I urge you to contact your nearest support base medical facility. The military has set up a PTSD clinic in the major army garrison locations (Edmonton for sure, and I think in Petawawa and Valcartier - as well (not certain) as perhaps in Esquimalt and Halifax). They are mandated to provide support to Reservists, such as yourself, no matter where they are located.

Contact your nearest medical facility, they can refer you to a confidential centre that will help you. If you want more info, email me and I can find it out. Don‘t wait or hesitate because the services are out there.

Thank you for clearing that up for me, Andyboy. I‘m
not as knowledgeable as I should be on this topic.

I do know of one sufferer of PTSD, and some years ago
I worked on the file of another, when I was at HQ. I
think it would behoove the CF to look at how the
Scandinavians and others who essentially only employ
Reservists do it.

Gunner,
As I understand the situation, reservists and ex-soldiers cannot go directly to the trauma centre in Edmonton, for example, for treatment. They have to be assessed by a civilian in their own area first (and apparently there are few across the country who are qualified to make a diagnosis of PTSD). It‘s only once you have that diagnosis that the military medical system and DVA will begin offering assistance.

Incidentally, according to a report on PTSD prepared in the mid-90s by LCdr Greg Passey, up to 22% of peacekeepers returning from duty in the former Yugoslavia in 1993 had a degree of PTSD and/or depression. He also states that PTSD may not manifest itself for years... even decades in the case of some WW2 vets. For this reason he writes, "One could therefore speculate that for Canadian peacekeepers there may be long term psychological consequences of their UN duty that will have an enduring impact on medical and pension services for many years to come."

Reservists and ex-soldiers are advised to tap into the Canadian Traumatic Stress Network by calling 250-835-4473.

I did some more digging and have the following information (from www.dnd.ca - search PTSD) for those that suspect they or others suffer from PTSD:

Assistance for Post-Deployment Stress-Related Illness

The CF recognizes its responsibility to provide assistance to individual members and their families in dealing with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and will establish four new Operational Behavioural Sciences Centres at Halifax, Valcartier, Edmonton and Esquimalt by September 1999. These are in addition to the national centre currently operating in Ottawa. The national centre is already establishing links between the Reserve Force and the operational behaviour resources throughout the
Canadian Forces, and will also investigate methods, including civilian resources, to better detect and treat PTSD. The need to add new outreach activities has also been approved.

In addition to these changes, Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) and DND are currently developing an agreement which will see the PTSD Clinic at Ottawa provide assessment and treatment to former CF members. For former CF members who settle outside the areas
surrounding the four clinics, the VAC/DND agreement will include a provision of funds to reimburse those who must incur travel costs in order to receive treatment.

Gunner says:

The military recognizes some members left the CF prior to teh acknowledgement that some members may suffer from PTSD. I urge anyone who thinks they are suffering or knows of someone suffering from PTSD to phone your nearest support base and ask for assistance. You have to make the first step by coming forward and asking for some help...no one will do it for you. Step forward now! It‘s there for you!

There is a group out there for ex or serving reg f or res mbrs. It is being run jointly by the Canadian Peacekeeping Veterans Association. So far it is just being run out here in BC. It has been extremely successfull and is being jointly funded by VAC and the Legion. Anybody who would like some info do not hesitate to e-mail me at noneck11@hotmail.com I am personally involved as a peer support/para worker within the program.

Cheers

If I‘m not mistaken, any Canadian can go to a medical doctor and ask for a referal to see a psychologist. Any psychologist can look up PTSD (which covers anything including "Residential School Syndrome") in the DSM 4, .
The help is out there if you look for it.

Sua Sponte

Hello,

If I‘m not mistaken, every Reserve Brigade has a Military Family Resource Centre that is equiped with support structures for regulars and reservists alike. Furthermore, most of the reserve units that I know of do have a Padre that can be reached for counselling services with respect to PTSD and any/or other emotional issues. The support system is in place, so I do not understand what is meant by those who claim that the system does not care. Suffering by yourself in silence does more damage than one realizes. If you need the help, ask for it!!

-the patriot-

with respect to Padres, I think a lot of it depends on the particular Padre. For instance, the Padre at my unit is great, but when I asked to see the Padre in Gagetown the guy they sent me to was pretty useless. I‘m sure there are similar situations elsewhere.

Back