• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Travel chaos continues as Canadian airlines, airports top global list of delays over long weekend

For a planned trip this summer, booked the car, then booked airlines and accommodation....

Possibly coming to an airline near you: job action...

Airline SAS says survival at stake as pilot strike grounds flights​

Wage talks between Scandinavian airline SAS (SAS.ST) and its pilots collapsed on Monday, triggering a strike that puts the future of the carrier at risk and adds to travel chaos across Europe as the peak summer vacation period begins.

The action is the first major airline strike to hit when the industry is seeking to capitalise on the first full rebound in leisure travel following the pandemic.

It follows months of acrimony between employees and management as the airline seeks to recover from the impact of lockdowns without taking on costs it believes would leave it unable to compete.

We just need to do big government even harder. That ought to solve all issues.

A trip back out to BC looks more and more appealing in a gas guzzling SUV than air travel. $800 in gas Vs $1500 in plane tickets, plus lost luggage and cancelled flights.
I just moved from Victoria to Northern Ontario by myself. Cost me roughly:

$1100.00 gas
$900.00 accommodations (stayed at AIRBNB mostly)
$600.00 food
$2000.00 U-Haul Trailer (Large one)
$300.00 for boxes

Less than $5000.00 all total to move halfway across the Country on my own dime.

How's that for economical 😉

I just moved from Victoria to Northern Ontario by myself. Cost me roughly:

$1100.00 gas
$900.00 accommodations (stayed at AIRBNB mostly)
$600.00 food
$2000.00 U-Haul Trailer (Large one)
$300.00 for boxes

Less than $5000.00 all total to move halfway across the Country on my own dime.

How's that for economical 😉
You spend 300.00 on boxes? Loser!

This whole airport fiasco brings me back to a dead horse I like to flog: Canada’s and the provinces’ lack of state capacity to, you know, protect the realm. With COVID,wildfires, flooding, passports, airports, war in Ukraine, Canadian governments seem to be incapable to respond to these events in a competent and timely manner. The only thing Canadian governments can do, it seems, is shovelling money out the door. The folks at The Line also harp on this. Is the purpose of a state not to protect the realm from all threats? Many other countries with bigger problems than ours seem to get this. They don’t seem to lack state capacity to deal with crises, it seems we are especially bad at it, unless it involves send money.

People are starting to notice that we suck at this. Our governments better start getting their shit wired tight before the next crisis happens.

One other observation: even pre COVID, Air Canada and Pearson were a terrible combination that almost made Atlanta seem like a tolerable hub.

Back