• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Transport Medical vs CF medical

mbhabfan

Inactive
Reaction score
could someone tell me if the category 1 medical currently the standard for commercial pilots in Canada, is similar to the CF medical for pilots?  More or less if I can pass the cat 1 medical should I be able to pass the CF medical?

If you have a CAT1 medical you should have no problems passing the CF medicall. The CAT1 is actually a bit more complex exam, but like my recruiter told me " I don't care if you have a CAT1 Transport Canada medicall, it means nothing to us."

Seems to me that recurting could save some time and money, if they exempt us who hold a CAT1 , but I'm not in charge.

Does the CAT1 medical ensure that you can safely fly fighter aircraft or is it geared more for commercial pilots who will not face the same physical stresses as a pilot in a fighter aircraft?

mbhabfan,

I have a CAT1. The CAT1 exam is considerably different than the look over they give you at Downsview. If you are worried about jumping through all the hoops only to wash out during the medical (it happens unfortunately quite often) I would suggest seeing your Doctor and have him/her pay special attention to your heart. Ask for an EKG, and have him listen to confirm that all your valves are functioning as per manufacturer's specifications.

The Doc isn't going to have access to the eye machines, or the lung box- so don't worry about that stuff. Just make sure the heart is good to go.

Back