• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Transit through Chicago O'Hare- United Airlines

AmmoTech90

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Does anyone know if United flights from Canada arrive at the same terminal in O'Hare as internal (US destination) United Flights depart from?  And do you have to pick up/transfer luggage in O'Hare between such flights?

Cheers.

It depends on if you pre clear US Customs and Immigration before you depart Canada. If you do, then they will bring you in at a regular terminal and you can proceed to connecting gates with little problem. If you need to go through customs upon arrival, you will go through quarantined processing areas first, then transfer to whatever terminal your connection is located.

One other point, if you are transferring from a larger aircraft (Airbus for eg.) to a smaller commuter flight (Emberar) or vice vresa you will have to switch terminals anyway. Look for a shuttle bus thay runs from one concourse to another. It will save about a mile of walking.

Pretty sure Canadian flights are a separate terminal from other international flights.  Whatever you do, make sure you have AT LEAST 2 HRS layover in Chicago.  Otherwise, expect to either miss your flight or lose your luggage.  It's a busy place and none of the terminals are particularly close to each other.

Thanks, I thought 50 minutes was a bit tight.  Have to call Amex tomorrow.

More details needed AT.

If you are flying on a United Express route - all their planes are on the same finger on the same terminal.  There aren't many Canada-US routes that don't have you clear US customs in Canada.  I flew from Winnipeg down to OKC - through Minneapolis and came back through O'Hare.  All my flights were within two-three gates of each other.

One of the flights is United Express, not sure if it is the one out of Ottawa or Chicago.  I'll check tomorrow.

They are all United Express flights.  And you pre-clear in Ottawa, so all should be good.

About the only place in Canada where you don't pre-clear is Toronto Island Airport; Porter flies to Newark, Logan, and a handful of others.  They're working to get preclearance on site, as it would open up more US airports, especially Reagan in DC.

AmmoTech90 said:
They are all United Express flights.  And you pre-clear in Ottawa, so all should be good.

Have a safe flight, and on your return flight don't forget that you can only carry 3 oz liquids or gels, and only what you can carry in a 1 quart zip lock bag. Take the shoes and belt off when you get in the security line, and if you don't want people looking at your naked but, you can always opt to have them touch your junk.

Ahhh, such wonderful times we live in.

Back