• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Transfers between Officers and ranking members

jaybe316

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm having some difficulties, and was wondering if anyone has any advice or document references for me.
I'm a reservist infantry officer, I started as an NCM 5 years ago, and made my transfer to the officers last year.
I realize now that even after finishing all of the required training, I hate my new job, and will continue to do so. I'd like to be an NCM again. Is there any reasonable way to achieve this? I was told by the recruiters that I'll either have to release, or do a trades change to some other part of the military. I want to be an infantry NCM again and I'd rather not release for x years (how many would it take?) just to return as a recruit.
Is there no way to essentially "voluntarily demote" myself?

jaybe316 said:
Hello all,

I'm having some difficulties, and was wondering if anyone has any advice or document references for me.
I'm a reservist infantry officer, I started as an NCM 5 years ago, and made my transfer to the officers last year.
I realize now that even after finishing all of the required training, I hate my new job, and will continue to do so. I'd like to be an NCM again. Is there any reasonable way to achieve this? I was told by the recruiters that I'll either have to release, or do a trades change to some other part of the military. I want to be an infantry NCM again and I'd rather not release for x years (how many would it take?) just to return as a recruit.
Is there no way to essentially "voluntarily demote" myself?

???

Have you become completely qualified as an Infantry officer and received a Commission?

Are you doing a Component Transfer?  I am sure that if you are, you can "resign" your commission. 

George Wallace said:
???

Have you become completely qualified as an Infantry officer and received a Commission?

Are you doing a Component Transfer?  I am sure that if you are, you can "resign" your commission.

Yes I've been commissioned, but I have yet to complete the Phase 3 training.
And no component transfer (as far as I know), as I wish to remain in the infantary.

jaybe316 said:
Yes I've been commissioned, but I have yet to complete the Phase 3 training.

And no component transfer (as far as I know), as I wish to remain in the infantary.

Components are Reg F, P Res, etc. If you want to remain a reservist, you're talking about an occupation transfer and relinquishment of commission.

See QR&O 11.12:

11.12 – RELINQUISHMENT OF RANK

(1) Subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), an officer or non-commissioned member may apply for permission to relinquish a rank held by him and revert to a lower rank.

(2) Permission under paragraph (1) may be granted:

(a) by the Minister, where the applicant is an officer of the rank of colonel or higher; or

(b) by the Chief of the Defence Staff, where the applicant is an officer below the rank of colonel or is a non-commissioned member.

(3) An officer or non-commissioned member of the Reserve Force who applies for transfer:

(a) between sub-components of the Reserve Force;

(b) between units of the same sub-component of the Reserve Force; or

(c) to the Regular Force.

It sounds like you may also be up for administrative review (AR).  Which entry plan did you apply under?

Back