• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Transferring to another unit (RESERVE)

Hello everyone, after a prolonged period of consideration I have put in a CT to the Boatswain trade. Yes a Deck Ape.

My question is that, I am coming from an Army background and I understand that some things are done a little differently in the Navy (saluting, drills and ranks).

My question is, do you have some tips for me for when I go on my trade course? Or will I be doing another course before my trade course?

Thanks, every pointer is appreciated!  :)

GreenWood said:
I have put in a CT to the Boatswain trade. Yes a Deck Ape.

My question is, do you have some tips for me for when I go on my trade course?

Some here:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+boatswain&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=1EUAVavCI8jB8geP3YHIBg&gws_rd=ssl

While I have nothing to add, I'm curious if anyone has anything in relation from ACISS -> Nav Com or ACISS -> MARS 

I've read pretty much everything about NAV COMM on here, but most things are dated from 2009 and state that "The trade is in for a big change is and is primarily more IT based and less HF based."

If anyone has anything to add that'd be greatly appreciated.

GreenWood said:
Hello everyone, after a prolonged period of consideration I have put in a CT to the Boatswain trade. Yes a Deck Ape.

My question is that, I am coming from an Army background and I understand that some things are done a little differently in the Navy (saluting, drills and ranks).

My question is, do you have some tips for me for when I go on my trade course? Or will I be doing another course before my trade course?

Thanks, every pointer is appreciated!  :)

That all depends upon when your 3's start.  If you're lucky they'll get you on a OSQAB course (naval enviormental training) before you hit Bos'n University.  Maybe even some OJT somewhere to dip your toe in. 

Yes, things are different and the navy will make you pull your hair out at times, but there are many of us here who have green time behind us and the culture shock is not lethal.  Mind you, the fun police have peed on the parade quite a bit since I came over the fence and it seems to be more sh1ts and less giggles nowadays.  But there's three hots and a cot and you get to see some very interesting places and people once you get on ship and start sailing.  It's a whole new world and you're coming over at a good time as there will be many new changes and ships coming down the pipe in the next few years.  Good time to get in on the ground floor of things.

If you remember nothing else, remember this: DO NOT call a Chief sir.

Kidding aside, get a copy of the ranks table and memorize it. You will be expected to know it, given you already have some service behind you. Don't worry about drill or ceremonial; the drill doesn't change, and they'll teach you the ceremonial. The Navy typically doesn't salute indoors, unless it's on the drill deck (parade square). You may have to do your Sea Environmental (OSQAB) before your trades training, but it could just as easily happen afterwards. Think orientation to the Navy, damage control, and firefighting - especially as a Bosun. Lean knots, lots and lots of knots.

Oh, and I'm not really kidding about the Chief thing. Don't do it, it will save your life.

Don't listen to ModlrMike … or actually listen to him and don't call a Chief sir.

However, don't memorize and then use the Rank table strait up, like you do in the Army. What I mean is, we don't specify each rank precisely (like Army people specify, as in "Yes, Warrant officer", or "Yes, Master Warrant Officer" or "Yes, Chief Warrant Officer"). When addressing them, you call both levels of Petty Officers "P.O.", as "Yes, P.O."and both levels of Chief Petty Officers as "Chief" as in "Yes, Chief".

Similarily, you will call both types of sub-Lieutenant (acting and full) the same way (when not just saying "sir") as in "No, Sub-lieutenenat XYZ", and as a junior, will address a lieutenant commander simply as "commander" As in "I don't know, Commander".

Have I confused you yet?

Good luck :) and welcome to the senior service.

Get to know your Naval terminology
Deck - Floor
Bulkhead - wall
Deckhead - ceiling
Doors pierce bulkheads
Hatches pierce decks

Also learn what "heave in", "check away" "Surge" mean, you will be a bosn after all!

Finally be very very aware of the "Snap back zone" and never ever straddle a line under tension!

Good Luck!!!

To add more confusion to the ranks, LS are also called 'killicks' and MS sometimes 'master killicks' (sp?)

(probable root is from the old irish word for a wooden anchor, and in the Royal Navy, the 'killicks' have two crossed anchors for their rank badge)

You'll get a big crash course on the Navy during NETP though; you get to do a little bit of everything.  All the damage control stuff is pretty fun (in the trainers, less so in real life), and you'll realize during the sea survival part 3/4 of the navy can't swim.  When you do get to the ship, you only have to carry your things on board and stow them away in your locker beside your cot, and there are three hots and a shower while deployed.  The downside is there won't be the same 'down time' when you are alongside as there is always maintenance, duty watches etc to get done.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, enjoy yourself, and help your wingers out with adjusting to life in uniform where you can.  Can be a lot of fun, and with a good group of people the good times fly by and the bad stuff can get shrugged off.

ship have floors and ceilings, just not where you expect them. If your tall be prepared to duck a fair bit. Sailors have a completely different language, they will have some with you but being able to laugh will hold you in good stead. Not sure if the navy uses the dhobey for laundry or Turkshead for a type of scrub brush

Also don't forget to toss your duff in the wet gash when you hear bong bongs and everybody goes to panic stations, the Molly isn't your Mom.

jollyjacktar said:
It's a whole new world and you're coming over at a good time as there will be many new changes and ships coming down the pipe in the next few years.  Good time to get in on the ground floor of things.

Hmmm.  Heard that before - about 20 years ago.  This is not necessarily a negative comment, just proof that history repeats itself.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
and as a junior, will address a lieutenant commander simply as "commander" As in "I don't know, Commander".

I usually agree wholeheartedly with your posts, but whoah!  What navy have you been serving in?  Although the Americans do this, I have NEVER heard or seen it done in any of the Royal navies, certainly not the RCN.

Navy_Pete said:
To add more confusion to the ranks, LS are also called 'killicks' and MS sometimes 'master killicks' (sp?)
(probable root is from the old irish word for a wooden anchor, and in the Royal Navy, the 'killicks' have two crossed anchors for their rank badge)

Correct, except that the rank badge of a Leading Hand in the RN (and RCN 1.0) is (was) a single fouled anchor.  Petty officers in the RN (and RCN 1.0) have (had) crossed anchors.  This is good to know as you will likely find yourself working with the "kippers" from time to time.  The "aussies" and "kiwis" also use these rank badges.  It wouldn't hurt to become familiar with the "semis'" rank badges as well, as you will be working with them a lot.

Try not to fall in the auggy and remember that we serve IN ships, not ON them (we do let you inside, although as a boatswain, less so you than others  ;D).

Pusser said:
Hmmm.  Heard that before - about 20 years ago.  This is not necessarily a negative comment, just proof that history repeats itself.
Yes, not meant as a negative at all, there is "some" bread and sunshine on the sandwich presently being served.

Pusser said:
Correct, except that the rank badge of a Leading Hand in the RN (and RCN 1.0) is (was) a single fouled anchor.  Petty officers in the RN (and RCN 1.0) have (had) crossed anchors.  This is good to know as you will likely find yourself working with the "kippers" from time to time.  The "aussies" and "kiwis" also use these rank badges.  It wouldn't hurt to become familiar with the "semis'" rank badges as well, as you will be working with them a lot.

Right, thanks for the correction!  Managed to get it right when I was in the UK but brain dumped it afterwards!  That would be a poor mistake to make in person.

Do you know if it's possible to transfer Res unit while awaiting a CT to Reg force?

I know it kind of seems useless, but there's a Naval reserve near where I live and I feel it would make more sense to parade with them during this long wait, rather than my current Army unit which is actually further?

GreenWood said:
Do you know if it's possible to transfer Res unit while awaiting a CT to Reg force?

I know it kind of seems useless, but there's a Naval reserve near where I live and I feel it would make more sense to parade with them during this long wait, rather than my current Army unit which is actually further?

Better to assault one objective at a time than fight a two front war.

I'm a untrained PRes Inf candidate, but I've taken courses towards a PCP diploma. I unfortunately was unable to complete the course due to the cost. I was wondering if I could transfer to a Med Coy as an untrained private, but a civie paramedic trainee.

Cheers,

Mack

mack.medic.rhli said:
I was wondering if I could transfer to a Med Coy as an untrained private, but a civie paramedic trainee.

Voluntary Occupational Transfers are discussed here,

VOT 2015, 16, 17, 18............... 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/118489.0

Back