• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Transferring between aircraft/streams

benny88

Inactive
Reaction score
          I'm curious about how difficult and common it is to transfer between different aircraft or even different streams (multi, fast air, rotary) in the CF. I've heard it alluded to, but never gotten a lot of facts. I gather it's much more common to transfer between different platforms in the same stream, would this require going right back to the OTU for that airframe? I imagine switching between streams is fairly rare, does this still happen and would it necessitate going right back to Ph. 3 for that stream? Is it possible to be determined unfit for one stream later in one's career and switch streams (I'm thinking G-tolerance or something)?

I have no designs to switch once I'm (finally) in a flying job, was just curious.

Cheers,
Benny

benny88 said:
would this require going right back to the OTU for that airframe?

The answer to that should be pretty obvious.

It doesn't happen often, but it does occur.  By way of example, the current CO of 429 Sqn on C-17s was an Aurora guy prior to this command -- four engines, but flipped and 'fanned'.  I've had a number of friend go from rotary to trainers and 18's, and others off to Hercs and E-3s.  It goes the other way too, I've flown with other helo streams and a few seized-rotor guys.  In all case, yes, OTU for sure and in some cases either a refresh (abbreviated) or possibly a full Phase 3.

Regards
G2G

Thanks G2G, interesting I didn't know about the refresh Ph 3.

That may have changed in the last few years, but in the past, transferees would be assessed by QFI/FIC to determine what training program would be most appropriate, be it a full Ph 3 that say a rotary-wing pilot would not have had on type if he or she were now transferring to a fixed wing type.

If a winged pilot changes streams he is sent back to Moose Jaw or Portage. Transfers to rotary wing requires a full Phase 3 course. Transfers to Multi-engine requires a much shorter conversion course. Fighter transfers require the full course too.

In the Multi-engine stream you change airframes every four years.  The only exception possibly being within the aurora and legacy herc community.

During the last 30 + years my cousins husband has flown many different aircraft.  IIRC  he started in SAR Huey's, then USCG helo's out of Cape Cod (attached posting), F5's & now Herc's.

As for switching because of something like g-intolerance, it all depends where you are in the training system.  Depends how much money/time they've put in.

Have a friend who was wings qualified ready to go fighters and ended up having some cardiovascular issues (low heart rate).  They took him off the fighter stream and sent him to a crewed aircraft.  After a few operational tours he's now working in Portage as an instructor.

Back