• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Training Tips

D

Dire

Training Tips.

Hello, this is my first post on this forum. I’m planning on joining the Reg Forces NCM in about a month or two, until then I’ve been training quite frequently. I just want to share with you what I’ve been doing and also get tips on training.

Here is what I’ve been doing as of late.

I try and run every weekday and run at least 2.3km ( I time myself and always get under the recruiting limit)

I go to a local gym every 2nd day and take weekends off to relax.

At the gym I do..

Arms, chest, back, shoulders.

Arms: dumbbell curls, cable curls,

Chest/back: bench press, cable crosses, incline dumbbell bench, incline flys

Shoulders: shrugs few others I do too, can’t remember their names

Each night (everyday) I do sets of 20 situps without holding my feet. I also do sets of 20 pushups and try do 80+ of both situps/pushups.

I figure in 2 months I should be ready.

The only problem is, I blew my knee a year ago in a Rugby game and been trying to recover it since and don’t want to push myself to hard, but as you can tell im trying to do the army’s minimal standards.

I’m 5’9, 195 abit chubby (thank to beer and not playing rugby) and been trying to eat healthy, because that’s the key.

Any of you know good sites on training and eating?

If so, post them here

Thank you

-Brandon

I forgot to mention about stretching.

Stretching is very important and I try and stretch twice or more a day. *proper stretches*

In your gym program, you‘ve left out lower back and legs exercises. It seems though you got everything right and you‘re in pretty good shape.

I‘m not yet in the military, but I‘m on the same path you are. Also, I‘m not a physical trainer. Since in my teens, I‘ve been into weights and competitive rackets sports.

Anyways, I have a few thoughts on the subject.

Its good to have an overall fitness program especially for ground pounders who will probably use every muscle they have in their bodies. BMQ I suspect will be hard on the arms, particularily triceps, legs, and back. I‘d figure that the 15 km march and the events just after it will be the biggest physical challenge. A weighted rucksack over 15 kms will stress the back, legs, and feet. Maybe the confidence courses may need flexibilites. I dunno.

I‘d say your weight program is great for the arms and upper back area. I‘d suggest a more full body program incorporating the legs may be better and reducing the same muscle group redundancy of the exercises. I don‘t know what you mean by "blowing you knee" but take alot of care with it for sure.

As an example:

DAY 1
bench press, inclined bench press, shoulder press,
side lateral rise, abdominals; For chest, shoulders, and abs.
cardio - sprinting sets
DAY 2
lat pull down, seated row, shrugs, deadlift, tricep extension, tricep dips; For upper and lower back, and triceps.
cardio - 10 min slow, then sets of sprints
DAY 3
bicep curls, preacher curl, leg extension (quads),
leg curls (hams), squats (machine or free weight);
For biceps and legs.
Cardio - long distance run slow/med 15 to 30 min

* Repeat Day 1 to 3 on different days for 4 to 5 days a week, cycling sets and reps (4 to 7 reps per set one week, 8 to 11 reps per set the next week) On the sixth week, do two sets of 8-11 reps per exercise to rest the body and avoid the plateau.

* Between sets, try not to rest more than two minutes. About a minute keeps a good heart rate throughout the exercise.

* May want to use the elliptical trainer on days where you don‘t want to formally run or to rest the feet/knees.

* I use the elliptical trainer for 15 to 30 mins as a warm up before running to avoid shin splints.

* Good thing to add to the warm up is forearm curls and extensions to avoid elbow tendonitis.

* Eat lots of protein. Either eat lots of chicken, beef, tuna, and soy, and/or invest in protein powder as a source or portability.

If you go to www.musclenow.com, the guy there has a pretty good program but you have to pay for the book. Good investment for the long term weightlifter looking for a program/diet.

The above is my own opinion. I have a pen, hopefully someone whose been through BMQ may provide some pointers or training focuses.

I commend your efforts of trying to recover from your knee injury. Unfortunatly, training only two days a week will most likley not be adaquit.
Never set your goals for the minnimum or you just set yourself up for failure. I suggest that you take your time and do things right the first time around, it will make things easier. If you‘re going into combat arms than the minnimums may get you past basic but no further. I also suffered a knee injury and could not complete battle school and I was way above the minnimums. The best way to fix that kneee is to build up the muscles around it. Work on your quads, hammys, and smaller stabalizing muscles. Good Luck :sniper:

Oh sorry did I say 2 days a week?

I meant to say I workout/run every day except for weekends which I take to relax (but still do my situps/pushups)

When I say I "blew my knee" I meant to say I tore an ACL ligament (which was my first and only injury on the Rugby pitch and life, I‘ve never broken a bone in my life *knocks on wood*)

In my workout, I do legs also but not to the extent I did a few years ago.

I lay off the heavy squats and do light reps.

I also will be joining COMM Research hopefully getting into Computer Network security since I already got a back ground in Computer Network administration so im gonna be tech geek hehe :)

Thanks for the comments/tips, Let‘s try and keep this thread going for other people to get training tips.

-Brandon

I‘d say that you should increase the amount of running you do by a fair amount. I did the weekend courses for my BOTP, and when we ran, we ran significantly longer than 10 or 12 minutes.

If I could suggest a goal to work towards, try to work up to 10 km in about 50 - 60 minutes. Then you‘ll laugh your way through PT.

In the military since I have begun my training, I have never had PT where running was only 10-12 minutes. Even the circuits I have done have always involved at least continuous jogging on the spot for 20+ mins.

Back