• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Training in Borden for Airframe Techs

Jonsey and Pte Smiley were right about the training with regards to timings, sports, inspections and eyes glasses/contacts.

Golf is quite popular within the C.F. but it is not played to the level that hockey, soccer and softball are. The sports in the C.F. are important for units (bragging rights) as well as important for the individual involved (time off from work, good work out and just getting to do what you really like) I just finished cycling across Canada as part of my Branch Centenial Celebrations. This fall I am taking part in hockey school. This means Monday afternoons off for practices and Tuesday afternoon off for the games.

As for the inspections. One thing to remember (this can be the most important thing that will help you get by recruit school with lowered levels of stress) is that the personal inspections and room inspections count for a small part of the overall mark during that course. Now mind you, your course instructors will try to persuade you otherwise.(thats their job) They will harp on you for many many apparently insignificant things during these inspections. I have found myself (during my leadership course) crawling around the bathroom floor looking for pubic hair with a piece of tape. I had a family, a mortgage, bills, all real life concerns yet there I was all focused on finding little curly hairs on the floor.

With your trade you really won‘t have a unit to get posted to. You will have a home base (where we do most of our training) but you will get posted to bases (my guess airforce) as you are needed. Air force always have the best bases and postings. oh the unfairness of it!Grrrrr!!!!

Thank god hockey is a major sport in the forces, I myself a former junior player, will most likely participate in that.

What do you mean that Air Force bases have the best postings? Nothing in the freezing north during the winter sort of thing?

Not so much that by usually well laid out Bases with good work shops. Nice living quarters, close to bigger cities. Nothing like Petawawa, Shilo, Gagetown or Wainwright.

As soon as you can, after training courses and first posting is done, get yourself invovled with the Base sports programs. Don‘t wait too long. It really is well supported in the CF. Especially by some members of the chain of command. Not all support it and some others (like myself) aren‘t really athleticaly inclined but still join in if for nothing else but for fun.

Great, it looks like i don‘t have to hang-up my skates after all.

I hope i get some time off during training in Bordon, i might have to catch a Maple Leaf or Blue Jays game. :cdn:

I don't think anyone adequately answered your question about the difference in training times between civ. college and military.
having taught at both CFSATE and a community college, the biggest difference is electives and non-trades training.

In a community college, you have to take electives and usually some general education courses like communications or mathematics or the like. In the military it's all directly related to your trade. Community college also tends to have erratic scheduling of classes, so the same amount of class time may be spread over several days, whereas in the military, you are doing courses from morning to evening straight.

Hopefully that answers your questions.

Padraig OCinnead said:
Not so much that by usually well laid out Bases with good work shops. Nice living quarters, close to bigger cities. Nothing like Petawawa, Shilo, Gagetown or Wainwright.

As soon as you can, after training courses and first posting is done, get yourself invovled with the Base sports programs. Don't wait too long. It really is well supported in the CF. Especially by some members of the chain of command. Not all support it and some others (like myself) aren't really athleticaly inclined but still join in if for nothing else but for fun.

dont forget alert :-\  lol ya Borden is pretty cool, well for me, i am staff. I live in t-138, pretty good times, once you are on your trades course here, its usually a good time, hittin the mess(the "H" club) lots of memorable nights there

Back