• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trades Acceptable for Pilot Transfer

Yeah, she believes that AEC's have more of a stationary position compared to pilots which I give her credit for. Even though AEC's are expected to be deployed at a moments notice, there not as frequently mobile as their pilot counterparts would be.

David L said:
Yeah, I know with AEC theres a mandatory enrollment of four years in the forces as for pilot theres a minimum of ten years service. Also if Im not mistaken AEC's are more stationary at air force bases compared to pilots.

My girlfriend of two years also seems to like the AEC option a lot better than the pilot positon.

Ive also talked to a couple of people that are working AEC in civilian life and seem to be doing very good for themselves. But it really seems you've done your homework when it comes to different trades and what it takes to achieve them.

All the Best to you,

Cheers.

It depends what you mean by "stationary" in a base.  Most (not all) AECs are on a ground job, whether in IFR, VFR or Weapons, but generally are on a shift-work schedule.  Some Weapons guys do fly in AWACS planes (E-3 Sentry) out of Elmendorf Alaska, Tinker Oklahoma, and Geilenkirchen, Germany (not sure about the last one anymore.) 

So yes, AECs generally don't deploy as much as aircrew would, but the shift schedule may mean that you two don't see each other a lot either, depending on her work schedule.

Where are folks getting figures of seven or ten years of required service for pilots from?  Rectal pluck?

Unless it has changed in the past weeks, that's what was on my offer, which is kept safe in my rectal pluck.

Pusser said:
Where are folks getting figures of seven or ten years of required service for pilots from?  Rectal pluck?

Post wings is 7 years restricted release. 

Wickes said:
Post wings is 7 years restricted release.

Which entry plans?  Will I have to redo my TOS should I get my wings?  7 years  post wings would almost certainly go beyond my 20-year IE, and no one has mentioned any sort of restriction.  I don't think I care, but I might start to the closer I get to retirement.

Pusser said:
Restricted release?  Please explain.  :pop:

Just look at an MPRR and you will see "restricted release date:" as a field in the "military data" portion. You can put the popcorn back on the shelf, you don't need to eat any for this one.

CDN Aviator said:
Just look at an MPRR and you will see "restricted release date:" as a field in the "military data" portion. You can put the popcorn back on the shelf, you don't need to eat any for this one.

I presume this refers to the date that one completes one's obligatory service.  I am not aware of any entry plan that requires seven to ten years of obligatory service.  Keep in mind that VIE and obligatory service are not the same thing.

All the pilots i have flown with who came under ROTP had a restricted release date of 7 years post-wings.

When i became an AES Op, i have a restricted release date of 2 years post-wings.

CDN Aviator said:
All the pilots i have flown with who came under ROTP had a restricted release date of 7 years post-wings.

When i became an AES Op, i have a restricted release date of 2 years post-wings.

Yep, and ACSOs have 4 years restricted release post-wings. 

Hi CND Aviator,

Were you flying as an Air Weapons Control operator or another trade by any chance??

David L said:
Were you flying as an Air Weapons Control operator or another trade by any chance??

I am an AES Op........as i said above and as per my profile.

I was under the impression that only Air Weapon Controllers are the ones that get a chance to fly along with pilots.

David L said:
I was under the impression that only Air Weapon Controllers are the ones that get a chance to fly along with pilots.

:facepalm:

No air weapons controllers on what i fly. Pilots, ACSOs, AES Ops and Flight engineers.

Sorry, as you can see im a newbie at this. I know its rare for AEC's to be on planes and most are on the ground. Could you care to explain exactly you M.O. if its not to much to ask?

More specifically what I should expect if I was deployed as an AEC on a plane? Is there different tasks than those that are on the ground? Are you more likely to be deployed more often that those that are on the ground?

David L said:
Sorry, as you can see im a newbie at this. I know its rare for AEC's to be on planes and most are on the ground. Could you care to explain exactly you M.O. if its not to much to ask?

More specifically what I should expect if I was deployed as an AEC on a plane? Is there different tasks than those that are on the ground? Are you more likely to be deployed more often that those that are on the ground?

I am not an AEC. I do not fly with any AECs. I rarely see people who are AECs.....i hear them on radios usually.

Back