• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tracking down a treaty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrek1985

Inactive
Reaction score
I read about this Treaty years ago. I was sure it was referenced in Granatstien's "Who Killed The Canadian Military", but naturally, I can't find it.

No idea what it was called, but it came in, I think after the Avro Arrow and the basic theme was that it mandated that Canada would always spend a certain percentage of it's procurement budget in the United States.

Google and Wiki have been useless, I'm still leafing through my books, but I'd love some help on this one.

Thanks very much for your time.

You're probably thinking of the Canada-US Defence Production Sharing Agreement (1956)

E.R. Campbell said:
You're probably thinking of the Canada-US Defence Production Sharing Agreement (1956)

Close!

I thought for sure that was it! The title sounds like it, but when I read it, it seems to be about limiting how much a given company can profit from a military contract.

Shrek1985 said:
I read about this Treaty years ago. I was sure it was referenced in Granatstien's "Who Killed The Canadian Military", but naturally, I can't find it.

No idea what it was called, but it came in, I think after the Avro Arrow and the basic theme was that it mandated that Canada would always spend a certain percentage of it's procurement budget in the United States.

Google and Wiki have been useless, I'm still leafing through my books, but I'd love some help on this one.

Thanks very much for your time.

I find that part very hard to imagine.

Never mind that it's very hard to imagine any Canadian official agreeing to such a provision, it would have contravened the GATT, I think, which was established in 1947 with the aim of reducing tariffs and putting an end to import quotas of all sorts.

A guess...The Defence Development Sharing Agreement
https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/ad-ad.nsf/eng/ad01691.html

Tom

Your questions reminds me of a reference from Morton's "A Military History of Canada" (from the Military History OPME):

"On February 12, 1947, a bilateral agreement cautiously committed Canada to American weapons, equipment, training methods, and communications. The British pattern, established since 1907, would be allowed slowly to fade. [...] American equipment might or might not be superior to British patterns; it seemed more likely to be available in a crisis. [...] the 1947 agreement marked Canadian military integration with its historic enemy" (p. 230). "Only in October 1949 did a Mutual Defence Assistance Act include Canada as a country where the United States could buy arms for sale offshore. On May 5, 1950, the United States defence secretary formally agreed that Canada could sell $15-20 million in defence supplies to American forces to offset her own much larger purchases" (p. 233).

Are you looking for historical context or the current reality?  I don't think it would be a Treaty, it would likely be a trade or procurement agreement.

Current status: https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/ad-ad.nsf/eng/ad01691.html

In particular:  Defence development sharing agreement between Canada and the United States of America
BETWEEN THE UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE AND THE CANADIAN DEPARTMENT OF DEFENCE PRODUCTION.

Historical Context - 1958 Development and Production Sharing Program devised in July 1958 by Diefenbaker and Eisenhower.

See page 229-230 of Canada Since 1945:  https://books.google.ca/books?id=DMaS5cb7s8QC&pg=PA229&lpg=PA229&dq=canada+us+avro+arrow+procurement+agreement&source=bl&ots=PRgrRgpg4_&sig=CBnpvNQl4RcewmW9A8X80AOcuUo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CEIQ6AEwBmoVChMIhqX9veyRyQIVCdgeCh23Bg3y#v=onepage&q=canada%20us%20avro%20arrow%20procurement%20agreement&f=false

This sounds like rather the reverse of what I'm walking about; American spending in Canada, vs us spending there

As I said; perhaps It does not exist and I was mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back