• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

TOWED OR SELF PROPELLED - What does Canada still require?

Gunner

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
As our M109s age, sooner or later, the army is going to have to ask itself if the army is going to move the artillery toward Towed Artillery or self propelled artillery, or some type of gun system using a LAV III chassis?

Anyone have any thoughts on the utility of any of these options?

I strongly belive that all weapons systems should be self-propeled (with the exception of some high altitude anti-aircraft missles) to maximise the rate of fire and movement. It takes a lot more people to muscle a towed gun into position than in a power operated turret.

I think the ideal option would be for the 105‘s to be mounted in turrets on the LAV III, and for the M-109s to be replaced. The Americans are developing a new system (the Crusader), and the Germans have just come out with the PzH 2000. A wheeled 155 platform would be more suitable to largely wheeled army of today.

Moving to strictly self-propelled has its merits as long as we understand there we limiting some of or options such as air-mobile ops etc. Also all SPs have a higher profile so cam and concealment options change. And maint increases also.

As for getting rid of the M109? Guns are never obsolete in the fact that they all can throw a round down range which is our function any ways. The only changes actually required are in fire control (both CP and gun end) and range. The 109s have both. The only reason to change them is to move away from tracked vehs.

As to moving to 105 SPs I don‘t think you are gaining anything unless moving to 155s. The only advantage I see is rate of fire.

However moving to a wheeled 155 SP ( the South Africans have an excellent version - can‘t remember the model) would fit in nicely with the change of doctrine to a wheeled army (ie LAV IIIs. Coyotes etc.)

Maybe it is time to re-think things and seriously think about this option

------------------
Ubique

it is the LIW G6. and if a wheeled 155 can fit into a Herc, then I agree there is no gain in going to a 105 SP.

Back