• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tory MP’s bill targets extended EI for ex-cons

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Postmedia News  Feb 1, 2012
Article Link

By Jeff Davis

OTTAWA • A Tory backbencher is looking to snuff out Canada’s 63-year practice of allowing ex-cons to collect double the Employment Insurance of law-abiding Canadians.

It is wrong that criminals get “preferential treatment,” said Conservative Dick Harris, who introduced private member’s bill C-316 to strike down the practice. “Breaking the law is a choice … and this is about fairness,” he said.

Canadian workers who qualify for EI payments can collect for only 52 weeks. Convicted criminals, however, can collect benefits for twice as long — up to 104 weeks — when they finish their sentence.

The special consideration for convicts was implemented in 1959 by the Progressive Conservative government of John Diefenbaker.

Similar extensions are given to some unemployed Canadians who are pregnant, ill or injured.

Mr. Harris said he discovered that ex-convicts were receiving special treatment while doing some work for a constituent, who had taken some time off work while sick with cancer.

He found that she did not qualify for EI under the circumstances, he said, but that a former criminal would.

“The fact is that convicted felons get a kind of ‘time out’ for their time in jail,” he said.

The bill is at committee stage, and will soon return to the House for third reading after a report is written following committee hearings.

Opposition MPs warned that altering the law would drive up recidivism.

Without a little bit of money, said Liberal MP Rodger Cuzner, “you’d be breaking into buddy’s house next door, breaking into the pharmacy and selling [drugs], and using the tricks you learned on the inside.”
More on link

GAP said:
Opposition MPs warned that altering the law would drive up recidivism.

Also a personal choice.  It's got nothing to do with this policy, it's got to do with our Nation's ability to constantly coddle them; they've become accustomed to it.  ::)

Canada’s 63-year practice of allowing ex-cons to collect double the Employment Insurance of law-abiding Canadians.

WTF?

Are we retarded?

George Wallace said:
Come on.....You already know the answer to that question.    >:D

Oh good!! I was getting worried there.....wouldn't want us to be labeled retarded.....that would slow things down.....uh, wait one.... ;D

Grimaldus said:
WTF?

Are we retarded?

Not at all. The idea is that if you put someone back on the street without any form of support, and with little actual skills -Shawshank Redemption anyone- then in order to survive they will fall back into the patterns that put them in jail in the first place. While the mechanism of here's some EI, go get hammered probably isn't the best, I'd be a big supporter of taking this money and transitioning it into release programs such as job training and half-way houses. Once they have been released, these people have paid their debt to society and I for one think we should be doing all we can to set the conditions that set them up for success. There has to be a timeline on this though, I don't think that a year after release we should be paying for people still.

Another way to approach this could be to tie their benefits to a peace bond. If they get convicted of anything within a certain period of time, say 2 years, after being released, the financial support provided to them gets clawed back.

jeffb said:
Not at all. The idea is that if you put someone back on the street without any form of support, and with little actual skills -Shawshank Redemption anyone- then in order to survive they will fall back into the patterns that put them in jail in the first place. While the mechanism of here's some EI, go get hammered probably isn't the best, I'd be a big supporter of taking this money and transitioning it into release programs such as job training and half-way houses. Once they have been released, these people have paid their debt to society and I for one think we should be doing all we can to set the conditions that set them up for success. There has to be a timeline on this though, I don't think that a year after release we should be paying for people still.

Another way to approach this could be to tie their benefits to a peace bond. If they get convicted of anything within a certain period of time, say 2 years, after being released, the financial support provided to them gets clawed back.

To be collected how?

The same way any legal fines are levied, include it as a fine with their sentence. Can't pay? No worries, here are a bunch of great "skill training" programs back in jail that you can participate in to work off your new literal debt to society.

jeffb said:
Not at all. The idea is that if you put someone back on the street without any form of support, and with little actual skills -Shawshank Redemption anyone- then in order to survive they will fall back into the patterns that put them in jail in the first place.

They do get support, EI. The issue is that they get twice as much EI. Twice as much, say, as a soldier returning from a tour overseas who leaves the CF, or twice as much as someone who's worked in a factory for 15 years and had it close down.

I understand the theory behind it but I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks it doesn't work in practice.

You're also assuming that they have no actual skills going into prison in the first place.  I don't feel sorry for these guys.  I don't like the idea of them getting a full term worth of EI, let alone double.

So if I go beat the windows out of work and admit guilt I'll most likely get time served (10ish weeks waiting for court) then I can collect 104 weeks of EI??

10 weeks prison for 104 weeks of free money......make no wonder there are reoffenders....heck...I may.

Back