• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tory minority in jeopardy as opposition talks coalition. Will there be another election?

Michael O`Leary said:
So, what you're saying is that you're "royally ticked" over a political manoeuvre that is entirely permitted within the Canadian system, but you just didn't know about it until now?

If I wanted a coalition gov't. they should have proposed prior to the election. It is akin to a member being elected as a Liberal, then 2 weeks after the election he suddenly decides he wants to be a Conservative. I know that's happened, and I don't support that either. It may be in the rules, but I don't like it. If they don't want the Conservatives in power, they should have another election, and see what the people want. That's why we have elections. I'd hate to see another decade of darkness come from this.

Sonnyjim said:
I just finished reading a few articles on this topic throughout the web and I am formally infuriated. I cannot pull my head around the thought that somebody would form a coalition because they are that eager to get in power, that's all it is really in "my" mind, a freakin power grab. Having a government in office that I did not even get a chance to vote for, or anybody else in this country for that matter also really infuriates me to no limit. Then to put the icing on the cake...... Stephan Dion, that dirty rat *******, representing my country without even having being voted in......... I think my ears are bleeding and I need a shot of morphine.

Did you vote on any ballot for Stephan Harper as Prime Minister? The only way that you may have voted for Mr. Harper, is if he directly represented your riding. Messer's Harper and Dion were both duly elected within their respective riding's.

Holy moses. Has Layton been taking lessons from John Hancock?

JACK LAYTON

Well.... I think that all political parties have some blame to take for where this political situation is going to take us.....
The PC decided that they were to jam some policies down Parliament's throat.... as if they were a majority - when they know they are a minority.

For the rest.... it's a coalition government - do you guys realise how many coalition government have been formed in Italy since 1945 ???  something like 65.

Will be seeing you guys at the urns sometime soon.

Chapeski said:
If I wanted a coalition gov't. they should have proposed prior to the election. It is akin to a member being elected as a Liberal, then 2 weeks after the election he suddenly decides he wants to be a Conservative. I know that's happened, and I don't support that either. It may be in the rules, but I don't like it. If they don't want the Conservatives in power, they should have another election, and see what the people want. That's why we have elections. I'd hate to see another decade of darkness come from this.

Sorry, I misunderstood, you simply wanted all aspects of Canadian governance abolished that you haven't personally approved.

Right, I'll go back to my corner now.  Please let us know when the country achieves a state you are comfortable with.

Michael O`Leary said:
Sorry, I misunderstood, you simply wanted all aspects of Canadian governance abolished that you haven't personally approved.

Right, I'll go back to my corner now.  Please let us know when the country achieves a state you are comfortable with.

I have to agree with Chapeski on this one and think that he is simply voicing 'his' opinion on the matter, not listing demands. If they want to form a coalition government then I would be willing to go to the polls again and vote.

It's no worry. They won't last after tabling their first piece of legislation. :boring:

The possibility of a coalition forming a government following a non-confidence vote is always an option.  It shouldn't have to be explained with each election.

Just throwing out a thought so be gentle in the responses  :)

Not saying he should, but what if Harper stepped down? . We know from the text of the letters from Dion to the Governor General that the opposition is stating they lost confidence in this new government. If Harper stepped down and the Deputy Prime Minister stepped up would it not in fact be a new government?  Given that the Tories have more seats then a Liberal/NDP coalition it would be interesting if the Governor General didn't ask a Harperless Tory party to attempt Government again.  Now keep in mind I am not asking or suggesting Harper step down. From purely a constitutional point of view could it be a filibuster blocking move to keep the Tories in power?

Michael O`Leary said:

When I voted, it was a Conservative vote. My riding wound up a Liberal riding. I could deal with that, as that is how democracy works. However, a Conservative Government was formed, due to them winning the most seats. If it had been a Liberal Government, I would have supported it, an NDP Government, I would have put in my release, but I would have supported it, because it would have been what the people wanted. This political "maneuvering" makes me feel as though the election was a sham, and my voice is falling back to the shadows. The least they could have done was waited to see how the Conservatives were going to steer through this economic downturn.

I'm sorry if my opinion displeases you.

recceguy said:
It's no worry. They won't last after tabling their first piece of legislation. :boring:

Considering that the coalition holds more seats in parliment than the opposition would, how can you justify the above statement?

Michael O`Leary said:
The possibility of a coalition forming a government following a non-confidence vote is always an option.  It shouldn't have to be explained with each election.

True however, this is not about the liberals/ndp's displeasure with a piece of legislation, and registering their non-confidence in the best interests of Canadians.  This is a blatant power grab, by petulant sore losers.  That is what people are upset about.  If this had happened a few months down the road after say they presented a budget, then there wouldn't be such an uproar.  But (if it turns out to be true), the NDP have been plotting this since the election.  And that reeks of the same power mad ideology that plagues many of the third world countries.  

Chapeski said:
I'm sorry if my opinion displeases you.

Frankly, I am more amused than displeased in any degree.

The parties are using the existing system to achieve their goals, or some compromise on their collective goals.  Does this not reflect the flexibility of our democracy even more so than locking in a minority government with a survive or fail (i.e., automatic new election) dilemma.  Decrying the parties use of the existing system of governance is akin to baying at the moon, no amount of noise will change anything as far as the current situation is concerned.

If this is such a tragedy (with regard to the structure of our political system), then I await the movements badgering Members of Parliament to ensure this option is stricken in future?

Hatchet Man said:
True however, this is not about the liberals/ndp's displeasure with a piece of legislation, and registering their non-confidence in the best interests of Canadians.  This is a blatant power grab, by petulant sore losers.  That is what people are upset about.  If this had happened a few months down the road after say they presented a budget, then there wouldn't be such an uproar.  But (if it turns out to be true), the NDP have been plotting this since the election.  And that reeks of the same power mad ideology that plagues many of the third world countries.  

So, they should have won a non-confidence vote, and then started negotiations to see if they could form a government?

Doom on them for planning and preparation. 

Given the Bloc won't have any seats in the new government, Lib + NDP = 113 seats. How is a working coalition with two parties leading the government, having less seats than the conservatives be functional. Putting together a coalition right after they lost the election is wrong and hopefully would backfire at the parties involved big time.

meni0n said:
Given the Bloc won't have any seats in the new government, Lib + NDP = 113 seats. How is a working coalition with two parties leading the government, having less seats than the conservatives be functional. Putting together a coalition right after they lost the election is wrong and hopefully would backfire at the parties involved big time.

While the Bloc will not have any portfolios within the coalition, they have signed an agreement accord to support the coalition until sometime in 2010. Given that the Bloc have 50ish seats, that gives the coalition the majority of seats.

If the opposition is so worried about the economy they could table a private members bill and work in that fashion to come to a suitable solution to the economic woes.

I also doubt that any change will come of this.

Chapeski said:
If the opposition is so worried about the economy they could table a private members bill and work in that fashion to come to a suitable solution to the economic woes.

I also doubt that any change will come of this.

What you say is very true, however private members bills very seldom make it to the third reading.

So people voted for different parties because they liked the platform they ran on and now basically the three parties decide to form a coalition and represent a single platform and that is fair for the people that voted? Why didn't they do this six weeks ago when we had an election, everyone can see it for what it is, a power grab and sore losers.

Rodahn said:
Considering that the coalition holds more seats in parliment than the opposition would, how can you justify the above statement?

........and you seriously think that they'll govern, for the next four years, like a majority government? :rofl:  With  :king:'s Dion or Layton?

Sorry. I shouldn't be here anyway. I just can't seem to take what is being proposed, with all the doomsday scenarios, serious enough. Knowing Canadian politics, it doesn't matter the outcome, cause whoever ends up on top, they'll fuck it up anyway.

Back