• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Toronto: Love it or hate it?

Jarnhamar said:
Yup. Small town people only want to live where everyone's the same skin colour.  ::)

I'm starting to feel marginalized.

jacksparrow said:
Small town folks i.e. from towns less than 100k people will always be apprehensive about moving to / living in bigger cities 250k plus people for a myriad of reasons e.g. they're not trendy enough for the city, they can't handle crowd, they prefer to live where everyone looks like them, etc. The same way most people are scared to pack up and move abroad.

Most of the out of towners I met came looking for jobs in our emergency services.

Fortunately for me, when I hired on, the city still had the Residency Requirement.

jacksparrow said:
Small town folks i.e. from towns less than 100k people will always be apprehensive about moving to / living in bigger cities 250k plus people for a myriad of reasons e.g. they're not trendy enough for the city, they can't handle crowd, they prefer to live where everyone looks like them, etc. The same way most people are scared to pack up and move abroad.

Man, you are really pushing a narative and/or opinion eh ?  Why dont you just be honest with yourself and the rust of us and come out and say what you actually think.

People go where the jobs are.  And where the golfing is good  ;D

Plenty of people leave small communities to live in big cities.  For work, for school, for love.  In fact plenty of small communities are giving away land for people to move in and help stimulate their local economies.  Plenty of small towns hope to attract new Canadians and even see them as a lifeline to remain viable.

In the Ottawa Region some smaller communities are growing so fast they can’t keep up with demand and want developers to slow down. 

Manotick, Carleton Place, Cumberland, Rockland, Osgoode, Greely etc are growing exponentially.

A lot of people like the small town feel and be only minutes from the bigger city amenities.

Prompted by recent events, more companies will explore permanently mobile work forces (from home, and from satellite offices).  I suppose many people still have the suburban dream - a detached home with more than two metres between the next house, a skyline that isn't across the road and sixy metres straight up.  The problem has always been to enable people to work in the kinds of places they want to live.  I predict there will be some anti-densification now, just no idea how much or how long it will last.

I own a detached home (in a fairly desirable neighbourhood) close to the downtown of a major Canadian city. It has definitely crossed my mind to sell while I can still get top dollar for it.

Brad Sallows said:
The problem has always been to enable people to work in the kinds of places they want to live. 

Even better, to retire in the kinds of places they want to live.  :)

I've been retired for a long time, so can re-locate anywhere in Canada. I also have an EU passport, and my wife has a US passport.

Brad Sallows said:
Prompted by recent events, more companies will explore permanently mobile work forces (from home, and from satellite offices).  I suppose many people still have the suburban dream - a detached home with more than two metres between the next house, a skyline that isn't across the road and sixy metres straight up.  The problem has always been to enable people to work in the kinds of places they want to live.  I predict there will be some anti-densification now, just no idea how much or how long it will last.

Before this all started we have manager in London England.  Another employee near Moncton New Brunswick both teleworking.  We were about to launch a pilot project to work from home for those that could before this all went down.  Our pilot went live way faster than expected lol.

We just got a survey asking us about our experience working from home and what treat might look like post COVID. 

This is a federal department.  Normally geography would be a barrier to working there but with a new normal on the horizon I could see the talent pool being expanded nation wide for some of these jobs.

Think of a military spouse with more education than her partner who gets posted every three years being able to work (gainfully) from anywhere.  Or the teacher being able to bring their skills to remote areas.

The possibilities are numerous.

Oh stop it...it's what I've heard from a myriad of small town folks. Comments like "too many people in Toronto", "all that traffic", "people living on top of each other", etc.

You have to admit, if you were born and grew in smaller towns, it's a big adjustment moving to the big city i.e. culture shock. No hunting, no room for F-150s, no wearing duck dynasty jackets, etc.

Target Up said:
I'm starting to feel marginalized.

[quote author=jacksparrow] No hunting, no room for F-150s, no wearing duck dynasty jackets, etc.
[/quote]

What happened to being inclusive?

Nice to have that EU passport, and the US option from your wife. It opens up opportunities for you for sure. Unfortunately, the wife won't be able to benefit off the EU passport as she is not a kid of yours. However if you move to the place in Europe and establish residency, she can end up with hers.

mariomike said:
Even better, to retire in the kinds of places they want to live.  :)

I've been retired for a long time, so can re-locate anywhere in Canada. I also have an EU passport, and my wife has a US passport.

jacksparrow said:
Oh stop it...it's what I've heard from a myriad of small town folks. Comments like "too many people in Toronto", "all that traffic", "people living on top of each other", etc.

You have to admit, if you were born and grew in smaller towns, it's a big adjustment moving to the big city i.e. culture shock. No hunting, no room for F-150s, no wearing duck dynasty jackets, etc.

Well then if that’s what a myriad of people from small towns have been telling you, then it must be the gospel.  Not a single F-150’to be seen in the GTA, by-laws against Mossy Oak camo... :blah:

::)

Your argument about big cities is ridiculous.  What, Toronto has narrower roads than Calgary (1.5+M)? Etc. Etc. Etc.

I personally know a guy from Weyburn, SK who now lives quite happily in Toronto...and he even has a pickup, but your right, it’s not an F-150......it’s just a smaller F-250...oh, wait.

Feel free to continue railing against whichever big city you want to cherry pick, while you don’t condemn others...seems legit.  :not-again:

jacksparrow said:

Wow, you just get more and more ignorant as you go along. You don't know me.  Myriad? How many is a myriad?  Take your bigotry and prejudice somewhere else, we're above that here, right mods?

Pot calling kettle black eh. I like how you use that "we", the irony speaking for everyone else. First sign of a narcissist behaviour.

If I have to explain "myriad" to you, perhaps you need to go back to school.

What does your signature say..."that's how we roll in redneck land. I rest my case

Target Up said:
Wow, you just get more and more ignorant as you go along. You don't know me.  Myriad? How many is a myriad?  Take your bigotry and prejudice somewhere else, we're above that here, right mods?

jacksparrow said:
Unfortunately, the wife won't be able to benefit off the EU passport as she is not a kid of yours.

Reminds me of the old guy who said, "She's too young to be my daughter. That's my wife!"  :)

jacksparrow said:
Pot calling kettle black eh. I like how you use that "we", the irony speaking for everyone else. First sign of a narcissist behaviour.

What does your signature say..."that's how we roll in redneck land. I rest my case

MOD POST......you are on thin ice Sunshine.
Bruce

jacksparrow said:

If only...

No need to pile on folks.....Mr. Sparrow can decide how it goes from here.

jacksparrow said:

Hmm....grew up in a town of 7,500.  Never hunted in my life, drive a Toyota Corolla (previous car was a Nissan Versa), don't think I've ever worn any plaid since my pyjamas when I was about 8.  None of my friends from the "burbs" match your description either, but several of my co-workers from the city have trucks and hunt.  Guess just seeing things in "Black" and "White" isn't just a small town thing...

Back