• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Toronto hosting 2017 Invictus (int'l wounded warrior) Games

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
First, what are the Invictus Games?
Most of us will never know the full horrors of combat. Many Servicemen and women suffer life-changing injuries, visible or otherwise, whilst serving their country. How do these men and women find the motivation to move on and not be defined by their injuries?

How can they be recognised for their achievements and not given sympathy? Prince Harry asked these questions. On a trip to the Warrior Games in the USA in 2013 he saw how the power of sport could help physically, psychologically and socially. His mind was made up. London would host the inaugural Invictus Games, an international sporting event for wounded, injured and sick Service personnel.

The word ‘Invictus’ means ‘unconquered’. It embodies the fighting spirit of the wounded, injured and sick service personnel and what these tenacious men and women can achieve, post injury. The Games harness the power of sport to inspire recovery, support rehabilitation, and generate a wider understanding and respect for those who serve their country ...
This, from the Games Foundation -  highlights mine:
Prince Harry, Patron of the Invictus Games Foundation, today announced that the third Invictus Games have been awarded to Toronto, Canada.

The Invictus Games Toronto 2017 will take place in September 2017 and will have more competitors, more participating nations and more sports than ever before.

Making the announcement via video message, Prince Harry explained why he is delighted there is another chapter in the Invictus.

Prince Harry said: "The last Invictus Games inspired tens of thousands of people and was enjoyed by millions of others around the world. I always hoped the Invictus story would continue after the London games.  And having seen so many new people benefit from their journey to Orlando this year, I definitely didn't want it to end here. So today, I am absolutely delighted to announce that the Invictus legacy will continue when Toronto host the third Invictus Games in September 2017. 2017 is a year steeped in rich Canadian military history, marking the anniversaries of historic battles that shaped and defined the nation. It's also the year when Canada will commemorate its 150th anniversary of Confederation. I can't think of a better way to mark this milestone than by paying tribute to the soldiers and veterans who have served their country so bravely and to support them along their journey to recovery."

The Invictus Games Foundation, established to develop and pursue the event’s legacy, sets out desired requirements for future host cities to ensure the next Invictus Games meet stringent quality standards. This includes a mandatory minimum of 10 participating nations, 250 competitors and five sports; a strong families programme; appropriate venues and sport infrastructure; extensive broadcast and media coverage and access to the Games for spectators and media.

The Toronto bid won the rights to the 2017 Invictus Games as it demonstrated a real understanding of the core concept and vision of the Games. The Invictus Games Foundation felt Toronto’s sporting venues and great city infrastructure would offer competitors and their families a real Canadian experience. Having recently hosted thousands of visitors during the TORONTO 2015 Pan Am/Parapan Am Games, the Invictus Games will present another opportunity for Toronto to showcase its status as a world-class tourism destination.

Bruno Guévremont, 2016 captain of Team Canada said: “I know first-hand how difficult it can be to struggle with physical and mental health issues that are related to the service you have given to your country. Competing in the Invictus Games on home soil will provide me and my fellow military competitors with the pride and confidence needed to push our minds and bodies beyond what we thought was possible - to represent our country shoulder-to-shoulder, as we once did." ...
1)  To Toronto:  congrats.
2)  To Canada's team: well done, and looking forward to more good stuff!
3)  To the new government:  you have around 500 days to visibly and concretely improve how veterans and wounded warriors are treated, lest the irony of hosting games for people who are getting less-than-ideal treatment be shared via the national and world media when they're not covering sports events -- the clock is ticking ...

Interesting background on comedian Mike Myers, who spoke at the Canadian embassy in Washington in support of the games:
... "As I saw Prince Harry I'm reminded that I am British by heritage, American by God's grace and Canadian by divine intervention," Myers said in his speech. "I actually have three passports, which would make me an international man of mystery," he joked, making reference to the character he played in his hit movie Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery.

After warming up the crowd with those laughs, Myers gave a touching speech that paid tribute to those who serve and make sacrifices for their countries. Both of his parents served in the British military during the Second World War.  His mother Alice was a member of the Royal Air Force and his father Eric was a member of the Corps of Royal Engineers.

They later moved to Canada, and Myers grew up in Scarborough, a Toronto suburb.

Myers gets choked up while speaking about his parents and their service in the British military at an event at the Canadian Embassy in Washington, D.C., Wednesday night. (Meagan Fitzpatrick/CBC News)

Myers said his parents often talked about their hatred of fascism when he was growing up. "They spoke of the nobility of fighting for democracy," he said. Myers paused, choked up: "That generation, man."

His father joined the Royal Engineers at age 14, and he was raised by his brothers in arms, Myers said, adding the values his father learned were passed down to him and ever-present in the Myers household.

"The No. 1 lesson was those that serve our country deserve our utmost respect," he said.

Myers said he knows his late father would have wanted him to support a cause like the Invictus Games. His father died of Alzheimer's disease, and his mother is currently suffering from it.

"In honour of Sapper Eric Myers of the Royal Engineers," Myers said, his voice faltering, "you have my deepest respect, admiration and gratitude. I thank you," he told the competitors and other military members in the room ...

Back