• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tomahawk Talk

That axe is too much.I like the tomahawk (plain) ...not all ninja'd up like the above axe... cause of the cutting edge and the blunt end.One that is sharp all around is useless in a riflemans kit.Machete out tomahawk in.I was looking to get a small axe anyway so it makes sense.As for carrying a knife on my belt, I use a marine corp fighting knife it's really just a black K Bar.At times it's too much but other times it has been handy.

Garett said:
I want one for Christmas!!!!
http://www.americantomahawk.com/products/comanche.htm
sibert_long_lg.jpg

If you want to get medieval on someones a**, then I suggest you go to a museum and examine the real thing(s). Generally edged weapons were mounted on 3 to 6' long poles so you could reach out and touch someone, as well as getting a useful amount of leverage to pull an enemy down, or generate enough power to deliver a killing blow. Today a bayonet fixed on the end of a rifle signals intent and is a fearsome psychological weapon, but I think the vast majority of people will either use the rifle as a club, or reach for a secondary firearm when the bad guys get too close.

Since we have so many better ways to deliver mayhem to the enemy today, lets keep ideas like knives, hatchets, tomahawks etc. to the realm of "I want a practical multi purpose tool to let me do x, y and z. Being able to bash someone if they get too close would also be handy"

When I saw the thread, I though Para had a new talk show, but I guess not.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/28762/post-194219.html#msg194219

Some closing thoughts:

If we are really discussing the utillity of "getting it on" at hand to hand range, then the rest of our equipment has to change as well. Soldiers need to wear "shot gloves" with enough weight in them to break bones when striking an opponent. Elbow and knee pads should have raised metal bosses so when you knee or elbow an opponent, it will leave an impression. The mounting bracket on helmets for the night visiion equipment is also useful when head butting an opponent. Finally, instead of having a bayonet or fighting knife (which is of limited utility against an armoured opponent anyway), each soldier should have a small club or extendable baton (like the ASP) which he can use once the stock of the rifle has been broken over the enemy's head.

On the other hand, if we are talking about conditioning the soldier for the battle, and having a secondary weapon for CCO or prisoner control, then the bayonet is still the way to go

Bayonet = Ass

I like muzzle strikes -- for a non compliant yet you cant shoot them yet sort of tgt i treally get s the point across.
The Thawk has a use -- elsewhere here I pointed outa CAG E8 that uses one.

Close in the Helmet especially with the NVG mount (mine is bolted - unliek the standard CF system) can deal a nasty wound.
- I have a fixed blade on my vest (s small skeletonized knife at 4" blade) -- and a Benchmade Auto in a pocket.
With 6 mags on my vest - 1 in the gun - 1 in a redi-mag and 3 pistol mags on my vest plus my pistol -- IF I have to resort to a knife or whatever things have gone south -- and I should have picked up a EN weapon from the people I expended my ammo on.

I dont carry a big "tank hunting knife" and for the reasons Para and others have pointed out -- the Thawk is carried for a tool primarily.

i contacted Americantomahawk and they are going to get back to me with prices, so im me if your interested. Our CQ in Acoy used one in Aghanistan and swears by it, but its up to you.

1st to apologize 4 hitting up this old thread but I just got here.  I am a woodsman from MI but not in the service.  I found this blog looking at hammers and roofing hammers as I enjoy roofing.  I have at times carried a broken handled Gerber camp axe on roofs (good on tar).  It just so happens to be small enough to fit in my pouch.  It's really lite and i can use it to strike or be struck w/ my hammer.  It doesn't have a hammer head exactly but it will eventually.  There are some things I want to show.  PS If it is difficult to use quickly in CQC then it must be very versatile.  I have heard of men using Thawks on trunks of cars.  I have been swinging an ax 4 years and figure 1 blow to a door w/ a large estwing ax.  In a group... with backup i could be very dangerous.  It doesn't run out of ammo.      Please look at some of these tools/links

1) woodsman palhttp://www.knife-depot.com/knife-39674.html
3) gerber lite small camp axe http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-14376.html
2) schrade multibowie? http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-52468.html
also check thru axes + hatchets tab on L side

Lastly I carry almost daily a smaller Swiss pocket knife around house but the working knife I use is a Gerber w/ a blade change in a nylon pouch.  It has 3 blades a tanto w/ gut hook, a skinner w/ custom serrations in the middle of blade and a chinese style saw.  If a person was 2 happen to break a blade theu would have a backup

The official tomahawk of the 23d Infantry Regiment, the Tomahawks.

atvtac.jpg

Back