• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tomahawk Talk

If you are going to carry the weight of a tomahawk around why not carry something like these instead?

Left hand side of the first image is the classic Bowie knife/cutlass. Bowie's first knife was actually a broken sword that was resharpened/
Centre image is the Naval Cutlass
The third image is the Sword Bayonet from the Baker Rifle.

Essentially all three are the same weapon. Shorter and handier than a sword.  Enough heft to suck up momentum from another weapon.  A protected hilt that also helps to improve the grip and act as a set of knuckle dusters. And finally in addition to the edge of the tomahawk, which looks really flashy when Mel Gibson is whinging them around his head, it has a point.

And as any swordsman will tell you "Point beats the Edge".   With the edge you have to wind up to generate a blow worth delivering leaving yourself exposed.  With the point you just stand there and flick the point to the undefended area while the target runs on to your weapon.

In addition, with all these short rifles you lot are carrying, sticking a nice big blade on the end of will make you look proper fearsome instead of like a bunch of plumbers looking for a sink to fix  >:D

Frankie said:
Paracowboy on loan?
how'd you know about my tomahawk? Seriously?
Kirkhill said:
If you are going to carry the weight of a tomahawk around why not carry something like these instead?
because a knife is just a knife, and the chances of needing one that large is...minimal.

But a tomahawk is both an axe and a hammer in one. I have also used mine as a pry bar (not recommended, but it worked), a screwdriver, and the CP's Emergency Destruction Kit (only used once. Long story.)

I don't carry my tomahawk as a weapon. That is it's secondary duty. Or even tertiary. I'd rather pull a pistol. I carry it because the machetes we use are shyte, and break too easily. They don't have the mass to chop effectively. Whereas my tomahawk will take down a tree. I also carry it because you never have a hammer when you need one, and I grew tired of smashing my fingers with a rock. It's come in very handy on several exercises, and in theatre.

No, I don't throw it. Yes, I can hit things with it if I do throw it. I don't throw it because then I don't have it, and I've just armed the enemy should I miss. If I'm in such dire straits that I'm reduced to using an axe, I most definitely want to hang onto it, as it's my only weapon. But, as I said, it's a tool first, and a weapon only if everything that goes "bang!" has started going "click!" It mostly lives on my ruck, tucked in between the valise and the main bag.

I strongly recommend it. I use the Cold Steel Rifleman's Hawk, since it has the neat little hammer.

Speaking of multi-function items... http://www.coldsteel.com/92sfs.html
Check out the video link ^_^

This tomahawk discussion reminds me of the debate about bayonets that erupted on the equipment forum. The point is well taken though, a handy multi-functional tool which is usable as a weapon when nothing else is left or suitable is a great idea. Although WW I soldiers often carried knuckle dusters or improvised maces and other medieval weapons, they were not multi functional, and would be dead weight for today's soldier 99% of the time. FWIW, soldiers in the "Great Wars" of the 20th century would resort to entrenching tools as improvised CQB weapons, so the tomahawk can be considered the updated version of this practice.

actually, now that I think about it: instead of troopie spending 50-odd bucks on a tomahawk, he can just stroll on down to Home Depot and get himself a drywall hammer. Same deal, really.

I have a Riggers axe and it works like a hotdamn on all kinds of stuff.  Mine is the wooden handle variety but there are all steel ones too if that floats your boat.

I think I'm going to grab one for my ruck. The more I think of the uses I'd use it for the more I want one.From pounding in tent spikes to lean-to making.Even have it with me when I go hunting.

Tomahawks? Not in our system since the J's of SVN, and that war ended in the early 70's for Australia. I suppose they have their purpose even in todays system.

I have a Camillus M3 fighting knife for QCB, but I pulled it off my kit. Infact, within a the second day after arriving here in Shitland. Its in my kitbag now. It just got in the way, along with my ECBA, and all the crap that hangs off it it! In a LAV, there is just no room, period! For a duty blade, I have on my old CF shoulder holster, a Gerber Combat-Folder. Nice knife, and suits me as a duty knife, no worries.

If they are that close (the enemy), especially in my like of work, your rooted! Besides, thats what the 40mm wombat gun with HEDP, and the 76mm HE and WP Smk MBGLS are for. Plenty of .50,  5.56mm and 7.62mm SAA to go around, and we never travel alone.

Cheers,

Wes

SFC W carried a Tomahawk generally to be used as a multi-purpose tool. This is an paragraph taken from his slide show he gave us in work up training.

KNIVES: A GOOD SWISS ARMY KNIFE OR A MULTITOOL IS REALLY ALL YOU NEED, FOR MOST TASKS. THE ARMY WILL GIVE YOU A BAYONET/MRE OPENER. IF YOU BUY A FIXED BLADED KNIFE KEEP THE BLADE LENGTH AT 8IN OR LESS OR IT MIGHT BE CONFISCATED UPON RETURN. (CUSTOMS OFFICERS ARE P#*&^!) THE TRIED AND TRUE K-BAR IS YOUR BEST BET; IT’S INEXPENSIVE AND DURABLE. GET SOMETHING WITH A TANTO STYLE BLADE AS THEYARE THE MOST DURABLE, EASIER TO SHARPEN AND WILL GO THRU ALMOST ANYTHING. GENERAL JACKSON’S HAS ABOUT THE BEST SELECTION IN TOWN OR GO TO KNIFEOUTLET.COM. ALSO AS WE ARE GOING TO BE DOING QUITE A BIT OF MOUT, I’D SUGGEST YOU INVEST IN A…TOMAHAWK, IT CUTS CHOPS PRIES AND IN A PINCH DIGS TOO. PLUS IT’S PREFECT FOR GOIN MEL GIBSON ON THAT A$$.

BDS; I just changed your colour as it was almost impossible to read, I had to use Para's quote box below.

boondocksaint said:
SFC W carried a Tomahawk generally to be used as a multi-purpose tool. This is an paragraph taken from his slide show he gave us in work up training.

KNIVES: A GOOD SWISS ARMY KNIFE OR A MULTITOOL IS REALLY ALL YOU NEED, FOR MOST TASKS. THE ARMY WILL GIVE YOU A BAYONET/MRE OPENER. IF YOU BUY A FIXED BLADED KNIFE KEEP THE BLADE LENGTH AT 8IN OR LESS OR IT MIGHT BE CONFISCATED UPON RETURN. (CUSTOMS OFFICERS ARE P#*&^!) THE TRIED AND TRUE K-BAR IS YOUR BEST BET; IT’S INEXPENSIVE AND DURABLE. GET SOMETHING WITH A TANTO STYLE BLADE AS THEYARE THE MOST DURABLE, EASIER TO SHARPEN AND WILL GO THRU ALMOST ANYTHING. GENERAL JACKSON’S HAS ABOUT THE BEST SELECTION IN TOWN OR GO TO KNIFEOUTLET.COM. ALSO AS WE ARE GOING TO BE DOING QUITE A BIT OF MOUT, I’D SUGGEST YOU INVEST IN A…TOMAHAWK, IT CUTS CHOPS PRIES AND IN A PINCH DIGS TOO. PLUS IT’S PREFECT FOR GOIN MEL GIBSON ON THAT A$$.
man makes sense.
As an aside, since the docs don't let me play in the weeds anymore, can anyone enlighten me as tot he new bayonet? It seems fairly well thought-out, but I'd like some first-hand experience. It has most of the features I'd choose in a fixed-blade (although, that big ol' loop keeps making me stick my thumb in it during certain knife-drills  ::). I'm gonna break my dang thumb someday.)

I used to carry my Cold Steel Master hunter, but if the new bayonet serves the purpose, I'll stop. No need for two fixed-blades, AND a pocket-knife, AND a multi-tool.

BDS:  That blue font is absolutely brutal on us old folks!

I carry a K-BAR and/or a early 80's version Bundeswehr fighting knife.  Both are tough as nails, hold an edge well and can be used as a hammer/prybar.  Seriously, I'd never considered a tomahawk.

paracowboy said:
actually, now that I think about it: instead of troopie spending 50-odd bucks on a tomahawk, he can just stroll on down to Home Depot and get himself a drywall hammer. Same deal, really.

A new multi-tool for the PRT??  Drywall goes up... Taliban goes down.....

Sorry about the blue folks, it was pretty bad. The new bayonet is fine, stood up well to pretty heavy abuse. Though I must admit mine stayed in the LAV alot of times, ounces make pounds, and I was humping alot of weight already.

The tomahawk as an augmentation to section level kit would be ok. Like the machete idea.

boondocksaint said:
Sorry about the blue folks, it was pretty bad. The new bayonet is fine, stood up well to pretty heavy abuse. Though I must admit mine stayed in the LAV alot of times, ounces make pounds, and I was humping alot of weight already.

The tomahawk as an augmentation to section level kit would be ok. Like the machete idea.

The tomahawk gives an almost equal cutting power as the machete, but in addition it gives so much more.

The comments about a tomahawk being a tool not a weapon and being a useful thing at a section level as opposed to pers kit are well taken.

So here's one.... this 'thing' may not be the most gucci piece of kit but I have one and I use it a lot at home and can tell you it's also useful for many things whilst wearing green (ammo boxes anyone?)... cheap and ugly and useful

Follow the link Box Tool at Lee Valley

I use one all the time when I go camping civy side, never thought of taking one on ex.  Thinking back I could have used it a fair bit on the last ex I was on.

I want one for Christmas!!!!
http://www.americantomahawk.com/products/comanche.htm
sibert_long_lg.jpg

Garett said:
I want one for Christmas!
I'm pretty sure you're funnin', but that's exactly the sort of thing you don't need. It's just an axe, and a fairly impractical one. Too many sharpy/pointy parts to it. It'd tear your kit apart without a specialty scabbard, and you can't use it as handily as a regular 'hawk or hatchet. No hammer. Handle's too short. Blade's not long enough. Or thick enough.

Back