• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Todays Engineer

JB 11 11

Inactive
Reaction score
I’m currently waiting on my trades to open up, and since my two choices (Sig Op and Combat Engineer) are more specialized for lack of a better term, I’m expecting a bit of a wait.
This has given me some time to really think about these two trades in relation to each other and how I might suit them.

I’ve searched the forums for job descriptions and have been reading many different posts, some good and some not. However, a lot of what is out there seems to be snide or slightly cheeky remarks to would be recruits to make sure they “really want to be” Engineers or Sig ops, referring to some menial or un-exciting part of the trade.

That being said, I don’t mean to criticise those posters, I understand that being and Engineer or Sig Op has taken a lot of time- in and hard work, and that a job isn’t always exciting. But I’d love to hear from those who do the job (in this case Engineer) about their experiences in the job so far; “What you do now versus what you thought you would be doing when you joined” comes to mind as a good question.

Further, how much of the job these days is directly supportive of the Combat Arms? Like going in with the Infantry guys? Or is it more building bridges, trenches and infrastructure for bases and construction based stuff? Is there a distinct difference between “Combat” Engineer and Engineer? Or is all included in the natural evolution of the trade.

Personally, I like the idea of being involved in field work more so than construction or maintenance and to that end wonder if the job would suit me. That said, I also like to build stuff and see a definite advantage to being taught such things as beneficial in the future (especially in terms of building my house! ; )).

I want to get my kicks in the field, but then have a strong trade background to fall back on in the form of an Engineering degree or a Comms degree.
These two trades, on the surface at least, seem to offer that possibility, but what is thought can often not be the case in reality, hence the questions on the trade itself.

Any comments/suggestions are appreciated, sarcastic or otherwise ;D
JB

JB 11 11 said:
... my two choices (Sig Op and Combat Engineer) ...

I want to get my kicks in the field, but then have a strong trade background to fall back on in the form of an Engineering degree or a Comms degree.
Sig Ops and Cbt Engr do not get degrees.  If you want that, then you need to be considering the officer route (Sig O or Engr).

If you are looking for a technical certification along the lines of a recognized civilian college education, you will not get this through Cbt Engr career training.  The communications trades are going through a bit of an overhaul, and I do not know if there will be any direct civilian equivalent translations from what is in the new training.  However, you may be interested in one of the Constr Trades ... though these may not deliver your "kicks in the field."

JB, the Const Engrs include the following trades: CE Officer, RM tech, ED tech, EGS tech, PH tech, WFE tech, Const tech and FF.  They go on the same deployments
as everybody else (usually more often because the trades are small).

No disrespect, but I am aware that Sig Op and Cmbt Engineer are NCM positions. I was talking about later on in my career... do sometime as an NCM now, while I am still young enough and in shape and then get a degree later on down the road when I've had a bit more experience.

Forgive my ignorance as i'm not aware of what your current education background is, but I can assure you that the career path and training of an NCM (Cbt Engr) is not designed to provide a degree downstream. Some have managed to get an Engineering Technology Diploma, but there were many other bits of training and education that were required from outside of the CF.

The best bet here would be to do time as an NCM while gathering some post secondary credits, then apply for UTPNCM when you are inside the application window. That being said, UTPNCM is a competative process that requires you to have completed: career progression hurdles, having the correct amount of "time in", post secondary credits, and the support of your Commanding Officer. Not trying to discourage you, but to plan on this from "the outside looking in" is almost in line with people asking about selection requirements for JTF2 without having even enrolled in the CF yet.

No worries.... It's my fault for not being more clear. But, what you just said is n=more or less exactly what I plan on doing. Upon chatting with reg force friends that have done degrees and got their commission as a result, it is more or less what I intend to do in the future.

Just to add to that... I am a competitive S.O.B. so relsh the challenge  :salute:

I went that route ( UTPNCM). It was hard work but worth it.
Focus on what you like now. SigOps get around in the combat units, every needs some - but most times you will be stuck in a CP.
Combat Eng is hard work. In deployments they could be going out with the inf, then return to the FOB and have to do camp improvements - the work is never done...
But yeah, you get to learn many things that would give you a start in many jobs, if you get a chance to take those courses ( Hvy Eqmt, diving, EOD, construction, etc.)

cheers,
Frank

I see your abatis and raise you a crater group.....

....that is, an airmobile, dismounted crater group! Yes that's right, dismounted. We carried all of it.

http://www.ctv.ca/gallery/html/afghan-operation-topak-shkar-101120/index_.html

The write-up:

http://www.news1130.com/news/national/article/122063--canadians-target-taliban-supply-lines-in-panjwaii-prompting-counter-attack

ToRN said:
Nobody frapping? odd for a Demolition skills training session.

Nic

No it is not....

EDITED TO ADD.....

Seems you forgot some of your training.....

Is a honeycomb anything like a beehive?

Unfortunately, we were not allowed to do abatis in Gagetown, because of 'environmental concerns' even though the Officer Phase 4 I assisted on did not 4 months prior.

I would have loved to get that experience.

and you're right NFLD, I do now remember the thumb knot is best for contact charges.

Nic

Back