• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

To Nuke or Not To Nuke (Generators)

Kirkhill

Fair Scunnert WASP.
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
I’m kinda anti-nuke. It creates toxic waste we can’t get rid of, which lasts (as far as human life is concerned), forever. At least with organic pollutants, there is a hope that the environment might adjust/absorb or dilute it. Not so much with nuclear waste.

Not waving the signs or screaming at politicians about it, I just think it’s a bad idea overall. Can’t say I’ve made much of a study of the alternatives or even a cost/benefit analysis...but not really a nuke fan.

SMRs are a significant part of the future. Permanent storage of low-dose waste is a stable, known situation deep down in the Canadian Shield…$0.02.

All that hydrogen just floating around out there doing nothing....

Within the next 25 years we’ll probably have viable nuclear fusion electricity generation. That will be a paradigm shift in how energy is produced, stored, and used.

Within the next 25 years we’ll probably have viable nuclear fusion electricity generation. That will be a paradigm shift in how energy is produced, stored, and used.
Newspaper headline in the year 2050:

"Within the next 25 years we’ll probably have viable nuclear fusion electricity generation."

Don't get me wrong, I'm in favour of continuing research into fusion power technology because of the promise of virtually unlimited clean energy, but we've been promised that it's 25 years out ever since it was theorized. Nuclear fission is probably the only solution available right now to provide carbon-free electricity in the quantity required to maintain our modern lifestyle that can be put in place quickly enough to limit the impacts of climate change.

Nuclear energy is something we can do right now to remove coal as a power source. SMRs shortly after to phase out solar and wind projects that just create landfill junk. It will tide us over until Fusion problem can be solved. Thorium reactors could even help solve some of the fissionable waste issues for less politically stable countries, but they're not commercially viable yet.

It's a shame that all the folks beating the climate emergency drum are so singularly focused on failed solar and wind tech that they cannot see the solution is nuclear energy right in front of them.

Nuclear energy is something we can do right now to remove coal as a power source. SMRs shortly after to phase out solar and wind projects that just create landfill junk. It will tide us over until Fusion problem can be solved. Thorium reactors could even help solve some of the fissionable waste issues for less politically stable countries, but they're not commercially viable yet.

It's a shame that all the folks beating the climate emergency drum are so singularly focused on failed solar and wind tech that they cannot see the solution is nuclear energy right in front of them.
Something about the forest and the trees? 😉

I like nuclear reactors on submarines. There record as electricity generators is a little spotty from a financial standpoint. The waste problem can be dealt with at least partially by reusing it at the cost of increased radiation. There's no electricity generation that doesn't result in environmental degredation of some sort. With nuclear you have the waste, the mining of the uranium, the concrete in the construction. With hydro you have the concrete in the construction, the flooding, and the disruption/blocking of the rivers. They are not easy cut and dried calculations to make. For 60 years I've been hearing about cold fusion and small modular reactors. I won't hold my breath. The one working fusion reactor we know of close by the sun works at 1.5 Billion C

edit i think its actually 15 million C

Last edited:

"Within the next 25 years we’ll probably have viable nuclear fusion electricity generation."

Don't get me wrong, I'm in favour of continuing research into fusion power technology because of the promise of virtually unlimited clean energy, but we've been promised that it's 25 years out ever since it was theorized. Nuclear fission is probably the only solution available right now to provide carbon-free electricity in the quantity required to maintain our modern lifestyle that can be put in place quickly enough to limit the impacts of climate change.
Tokamaks are definitely grinding their way towards QE(scientific/engineering/economic) = 1/5/?, but Inertial Confinement Fusion has been a dark horse that may very well sneak past Tokamaks to commercialize first. ICF currently holds the record (heat) energy return, and while Tokamaks theoretically have an edge using full-on tritium fuel because of the charge advantage of magnetic containment, the lasers may keep the practical advantage when using hydrogen/deuterium as the principal fuel that emits the uncharged neutrons to add to the net energy output. Keep an eye out for the Lawrence Livermore team at the National Ignition Facility to see if they keep growing the energy gains as consistently as they have recently.

Oh, just to be clear I have no issue with more fission reactors now. The reactors available now ain’t your grampa’s BWRs. There are much safer designs and cleaner fuel cycles available, and I’m good with putting those in play now.

It creates toxic waste we can’t get rid of, which lasts (as far as human life is concerned), forever.

What it does is modify and concentrate a "waste" which already exists in nature. It's easy to store. The ratio of deaths due to carbon emissions versus deaths due to nuclear waste is extraordinarily large.

I always though we could take the ceramic or glass nuclear waste and bury it in a subduction zone?

I like nuclear reactors on submarines. There record as electricity generators is a little spotty from a financial standpoint. The waste problem can be dealt with at least partially by reusing it at the cost of increased radiation. There's no electricity generation that doesn't result in environmental degredation of some sort. With nuclear you have the waste, the mining of the uranium, the concrete in the construction. With hydro you have the concrete in the construction, the flooding, and the disruption/blocking of the rivers. They are not easy cut and dried calculations to make. For 60 years I've been hearing about cold fusion and small modular reactors. I won't hold my breath. The one working fusion reactor we know of close by the sun works at 1.5 Billion C

edit i think its actually 15 million C

A 5 MW reactor, such as that discussed in the article would power a Walrus class submarine (4 MW)

TypeDiesel-electric attack submarine
Displacement
  • 2,350 t surfaced,
  • 2,650 t submerged,
  • 1,900 t standard
Length67.73 m (222.2 ft)
Beam8.4 m (28 ft)
Draft6.6 m (22 ft)
Propulsion3 diesels, diesel-electric, 5,430 shp (4 MW), 1 shaft, 5 blades
Speed
  • 13 knots (24 km/h) surfaced,
  • 20 knots (37 km/h) submerged
Range18,500 km (10,000 nmi) at 9 kn (17 km/h)
Test depth>300 m (980 ft)
Complement50 to 55
Sensors and
processing systems
  • Surface Search Radar:
  • Signaal/Racal ZW 07
  • Sonar Systems:
  • Thomson Sintra TSM 2272 Eledone Octopus
  • GEC Avionics Type 2026 towed array
  • Thomson Sintra DUUX 5 passive ranging and intercept
Armament
  • 4 × 21-inch (533 mm) torpedo tubes (20 × Honeywell Mk 48 or Honeywell NT 37 torpedoes
  • mines,
  • UGM-84 Harpoon SSM)

The waste isn't ceramic or glass. That sounds like an idea Jerry Pournelle used to mention every once in a while - encase waste in an inert substance and store it. But don't store it where you can't get at it. "Waste" just means "we haven't a use for this/we produce more than we need right now". That can change.

As I understand it pretty much every plan in the world is to mix the spent fuel with a glass or ceramic mixture encased in a stainless steel or titanium canister and bury it underground somewhere

The waste isn't ceramic or glass. That sounds like an idea Jerry Pournelle used to mention every once in a while - encase waste in an inert substance and store it. But don't store it where you can't get at it. "Waste" just means "we haven't a use for this/we produce more than we need right now". That can change.
Nah, we can just throw it in a volcano to appease Pele (the Polynesian volcano goddess, not the Brazilian football god). that way the Pacific Rim won't fall in the ocean and Mr Obama's beach hut is safe. That's just science is what that is. I know, before the "weeeell, Technicaleeee..." brigade shows up, his house is on the East Coast but that wouldn't have been as funny.

The waste isn't ceramic or glass. That sounds like an idea Jerry Pournelle used to mention every once in a while - encase waste in an inert substance and store it.

Why is Shared Services Canada suddenly breathing heavily?

Back