• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

time off to train for reserves

cryco

Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've done some much reading on this forum that I want to start off by thanking everyone for some great information.
I have had the calling to join the military for years now but never got around to it because I have a great full time job (engineer) that pays really well and keeps my really busy.
I've been mulling over engineer officer and infantry officer and discussed both with my recruiter.
The thing is, the first part of training is available as part time training, but the leadership part and trade part is not (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)
Here's my question:
For all you reservists out there that got in later in life (I'm 41), how did you manage to get time off for 2 months and then 3 months to do the training?
Being away that long from work and my wife and kids is kinda freaky.
My wife knows that I've been mulling this over for years but leaving her with two young children for 2 and 3 months, and telling my employer to go on unpaid leave for that long, well...

thanks for any advice.

Chris

cryco said:
Here's my question:
For all you reservists out there that got in later in life (I'm 41), how did you manage to get time off for 2 months and then 3 months to do the training?

This may help. It discusses time off for Reserve training.

Reservists Job Protection Superthread 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/2552.0.html

Also,

Am I too old to join/do well/fit in? (Merged thread)
http://army.ca/forums/threads/87496.0

Thanks for the links.
I'm not worried about being too old. I'm quite fit both physically and mentally.
As for the time off, I am looking more for how they prepared their life for these months of training and being away.
If I insist, I could get two months off at work for the leadership course. Asking for another 3 months for DP.1 will be tough.
But I'm also wondering about the financial side and family side. Did you save up for a while to cover mortgage costs and bills?
Anyone with young kids need family support to help out the wife? (my family is very far and my wife's is an hour drive)
How did you employer re-act? Anyone in engineering here ask for that time off?

thanks again

cryco said:
As for the time off, I am looking more for how they prepared their life for these months of training and being away.

Guess I misunderstood your question.

cryco said:
Here's my question:

Nah, you understood exactly what I wrote, I simply wasn't clear enough. my bad.
The link you posted is helpful though, but man, that's a lot of pages to go through.

Back