• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Thinking of signing up........Questions

ccownsu

Inactive
Reaction score
Is Artillery soldier - Field,  a good choice for a 31 year old man with a wife and 2 kids?? I was thinking about going Navy, but the more time I have spent reading through these forums, I am now leaning towards a more combat oriented role.

So really I am wondering if I am too old for a CAREER in Artillery, and if this field is any harder on a family (as in time away) compared to others??

PS I do realize that any trade in any branch in the Military will see me away from the family for long period of times.

navymich said:
I'm a bit biased, so yes, GO NAVY!!!  ;D

Me too, DON'T go navy. Hope this helps  8)

ccownsu said:
Is Artillery soldier - Field,  a good choice for a 31 year old man with a wife and 2 kids?? I was thinking about going Navy, but the more time I have spent reading through these forums, I am now leaning towards a more combat oriented role.

So really I am wondering if I am too old for a CAREER in Artillery, and if this field is any harder on a family (as in time away) compared to others??

PS I do realize that any trade in any branch in the Military will see me away from the family for long period of times.

There is nothing wrong with the RCA. I was attached to the RAA for some time in Sydney (Australia) before moving on to Trg Comd.

Lots of hard yakka, great blokes, good tradition, real soldiering (if you can cut it), and a sense of a job well done.

As they say, Armoured might be King of the Battlefield, but Artillery is the God of War!

You decide, and best of luck.

Ubique!

Wes

You are not to old, I was asked to go back into the Reg Force at the age of 51. If the wife had agreed, I would be there now. I happen to be a mechanic and at the time they had a shortage of mechanics.

First thing you have to do is discuss it with your wife and if your kids are old enough to understand,your kids.

Big move from civy life to a control and command society. Your best move is to list all the questions you may have and go to the Recruiting Office.

If you decide to join, just remember, your family will grow by 65,000.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

ccownsu said:

GUNS said:
You are not to old, I was asked to go back into the Reg Force at the age of 51. If the wife had agreed, I would be there now. I happen to be a mechanic and at the time they had a shortage of mechanics.

First thing you have to do is discuss it with your wife and if your kids are old enough to understand,your kids.

Big move from civy life to a control and command society. Your best move is to list all the questions you may have and go to the Recruiting Office.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

Thank you, very encouraging.

If you don't have any physical problems then age doesn't matter.  If you can pass the training and continue your duties, age doesn't matter.

Ubique

Wesley 'Over There' (formerly Down Under) said:
There is nothing wrong with the RCA. I was attached to the RAA for some time in Sydney (Australia) before moving on to Trg Comd.

Lots of hard yakka, great blokes, good tradition, real soldiering (if you can cut it), and a sense of a job well done.

As they say, Armoured might be King of the Battlefield, but Artillery is the God of War!

You decide, and best of luck.

Ubique!

Wes

In our house, Artillery is actually referred to as GOD. (General Ordinance Delivery) :p 

Of course, I am biassed too. As a 30something wife of an Arty guy who only joined 5 years ago...31 is not too old, in my opinion. And as a spouse, I agree, there is no life like it. The CF is not just a profession, it is a way of life. If your family can adapt to the change (I experienced alot of personal growth) then you have nothing to lose.

Ubique

GUNS said:

That's probably the best bit of advice I've ever heard given to a potential recruit. 

I'm 30 now and am doing a 13 year VIE.  By the time my contracts and indentured service are through, I'll be in my fifties. 

Back