• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

They're baaack! Ceremonial Guard inspected by the Governor General

Jammer said:
He loves to tell the story how they would have oral themometers in their bearskins and the guy with the lowest temp at the end of the day would have to pony up at the bar that night.

Given how uptight the GGFG can be, I suspect they use rectal thermometers now...

George Wallace said:
A RSM probably had one question to ask each individual individually:

"Did you have breakfast?"

The Sgt helping them off parade looks like he ate enough breakfasts for the whole Guard.

Dirty Patricia said:
The Sgt helping them off parade looks like he ate enough breakfasts for the whole Guard.

I thought so, too.

dapaterson said:
Given how uptight the GGFG can be, I suspect they use rectal thermometers now...

- Alright class, how do you tell a rectal thermometer from an oral thermometer?

;D

George Wallace said:
A RSM probably had one question to ask each individual individually:

"Did you have breakfast?"

Ironically he did, yes. That and how much did you guys hydrate? And beer doesn't count.

And it was 24 on that day... not hot at all. Some of the guards are weak willed I guess.

Can't all be iron men like you, I guess.

George Wallace said:
Nothing 'ironic' at all.  It is SOP.

- And an honoured one, at that.  Remember: Waterloo, 18 June 1815: The British Army had breakfast - the French Army did not.

- Maybe an old wives tale - but a good one.

Given the quality of British Army rations, it may well be that the foul mood that resulted is what swayed the battle.

TCBF said:
- Maybe an old wives tale - but a good one.

Most important meal of the day:
http://gothamist.com/2007/01/02/subway_delays_c.php

Kat Stevens said:
Can't all be iron men like you, I guess.

Who said I was an iron man?

You need to check that attitude at the gate.

Ki11switch said:
Who said I was an iron man?

You need to check that attitude at the gate.

Removed, because I just remembered that I couldn't care less.

The PAT pers from meaford wear the LFC badge not the CFTSG badge
Area Training Centers belong to their areas which in turn belong to LFC.

Ki11switch, you need to have your facts straight about why and how your doing CG.

To get back to the GG!!  8)

Anyone know what the second medal is that she is wearing? We noticed it during the Queen's Colour here in Halifax on Saturday, but no one can place it.

By the way she did a grand job and looked sharp in her Naval uniform. A little chatty perhaps while inspecting a 400 man guard..... ;)

From the Governor Generals Web Site:

Insignia Worn by the Governor General

Upon taking office, the Governor General is entitled to wear a number of insignia. Depending on the occasion, the Governor General may wear the following insignia, in order of precedence:

The Order of Canada
The Order of Canada was created on July 1, 1967 to recognize Canadians who have made a difference to our country. It is Canada's highest honour for lifetime achievement. Her Majesty The Queen is Sovereign of the Order and the Governor General is its Chancellor and Principal Companion.

The Order of Military Merit
The Order of Military Merit was established on July 1, 1972 to recognize a career of exceptional service or distinctive merit displayed by the men and women of both the Regular and Reserve Forces. Her Majesty The Queen is Sovereign of the Order, and the Governor General is the Chancellor and a Commander of the Order.

The Order of Merit of the Police Forces
The Order of Merit of the Police Forces was created in 2000 as a means of recognizing conspicuous merit and exceptional service by the men and women of the Canadian Police Forces. The Queen of Canada is Sovereign of the Order and the Governor General is the Chancellor and a Commander of the Order. The Commissioner of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police is the Principal Commander of the Order.

The Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem
The Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem in Canada is a registered charity whose mission is to help Canadians improve their health, safety and quality of life by providing training and community services. The Queen is Sovereign of the Order and the Governor General is the Prior and Chief Officer of the Order in Canada.

The Canadian Forces Decoration
The Canadian Forces Decoration was created in 1949 to recognize twelve years of service and good conduct in the Canadian Forces. The Governor General is Commander-in-Chief of the Canadian Forces.

Yupper, looked there. It is none of them...........

If you look at the fourth picture in the Ottawa Citizen piece, you can just make it out. Light brown with gold stripes. Worn below the CD in precedence.

Edit, better pic on the GG's site here, http://www.gg.ca/gg/rr/cc/index_e.asp

The gold/brown and green medal worn to the left of the GG's CD is the Saskatchewan Centennial Medal.

Also, the medics in DEUs are wearing the Military Personnel Command (headed by Chief Military Personnel) badge.  CFSTG is a subordinate formation of the Canadian Defence Academy, which itself is subordinate to Military Personnel Command, according to their websites.

Back