• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Therapeutic Cannabis use

Petamocto said:
That's my point...it's where do you set that limit?  Because the answer to that question changes everything if it's 8 hours or 8 days.

I am a firm believer that the alcohol lobby probably has a lot to do with marijuana staying illegal.  If it becomes legalized, even if government controlled and heavily taxed, a lot of people would much rather spend $10 for a joint than $50+ getting drunk on a Friday night.

A Very, very valid statement. If  MJ was legalized, there would be many industries, that bring in huge Government Profits/Taxes, that would be affected.

So much for Patria O Muerte....

dileas

tess

I think that myself and many others are getting alot of interesting thoughts, input and facts on the subject. I am hoping that those responsible for the implementation and proper regulating guidelines for therapeutic use are also watching. I feel that there is much to consider before using pot as a pain remedy.
We live in a society filled with violence and all sorts of crime......the outright legalization of pot for so-called rec purposes is like throwing gas into a raging fire. It would never solve any problems, but surely, it would add to it.
Thank you all for your interest.......I will check back in tomorrow.
Remember....."All in moderation" and " Peace be with you"
Goodnight :salute:

57Chevy said:
I think that myself and many others are getting alot of interesting thoughts, input and facts on the subject. I am hoping that those responsible for the implementation and proper regulating guidelines for therapeutic use are also watching. I feel that there is much to consider before using pot as a pain remedy.
We live in a society filled with violence and all sorts of crime......the outright legalization of pot for so-called rec purposes is like throwing gas into a raging fire. It would never solve any problems, but surely, it would add to it.
Thank you all for your interest.......I will check back in tomorrow.
Remember....."All in moderation" and " Peace be with you"
Goodnight :salute:

Others, I hope includes all that have posted, I hope, in these forums.

Goodnight, and don't let those bed bugs bite.....Otherwise you will have to use many other medicinal evils not looked at, to ease your sleep.

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
Remember, you can still be charged with impairment, with over the counter/off the shelf drugs, if it affects your use of a motor vehicle.

In today's paper.
"TTC union defends 'impaired' driver:
Booze, illegal drugs not involved, president of local says":
http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2010/05/13/13931226.html

mariomike said:
We gave him that link in Reply #11:
"Who is eligible to use medical marijuana?":
http://www.medicalmarihuana.ca/for-patients/who-is-eligible

My bad... I knew I wasn't eligible so I didn't bother looking ;D

Petamocto said:
Medicinal pot doesn't mean pot is legal; not even close.

Just to be clear, that's not what I said. TV said he wasn't sure if medicinal pot was legal and I responded with:

ballz said:
Medicinal pot is already legal for sure

Technoviking said:
hippy.jpg

Haha, and that picture looks like it was taken before I, or you, or most of us in this thread, was born. So my point of "why is it *STILL* associated with hippies still stands :p Hippies and the military tend to be considered yin and yang, but here myself at least one other is advocating legalization. The hippie thing is just outdated by about 30 years.

the 48th regulator said:
When was the last time you heard booze, legally being used to help treat an illness.  When was the last time you heard a Doctor Prescribe Camel Unfiltered cigarettes to help with an injury?  MJ offers a Myriad of uses, yet has no legs for legalization....a shame really.

I blame the religion, but that's my scapegoat for everything, so I guess I'm just a bigot.

I never thought about the alcohol companies losing money off it... most people that smoke pot drink as well... and a lot of casual pot smokers only smoke it when they drink. It's an interesting thought though. It would definitely affect alcohol sales but I'm not sure if it would be that drastic... I can't have a nice cold joint and steak on a hot summer day, or a few cold stems after a long day at work/school/whatever. Beer/liquor is much more worth the money in many ways...

I should add before I discuss any further that I never lied on my application and I haven't smoked pot since entering the CF (or between the application process and enrolling for that matter).

57Chevy said:
We live in a society filled with violence... legalization of pot ... like throwing gas into a raging fire.

I agree with a lot of your post but the part I've quoted.

Alcohol has been shown to result in far more violence than marijuana, so theoretically everyone we can get high on marijuana instead of drunk would result in a better world.

Use whatever situation you want:
How many dads come home drunk and beat up their wife/kids?
How many young men get drunk at a bar and want to start a fight?
How many dope-smoking hippies rally for peace and love every chance they get?

I also don't believe in the gateway theory at all.  Yes, people who use cocaine and heroin may have worked their way through marijuana (and cigarettes, and alcohol), but they were going to get to Class A drugs regardless if they wanted them.  Society is filled with people who are quite happy just smoking weed and not going further.

Petamocto said:
I also don't believe in the gateway theory at all. 

"Marijuana is the flame, heroin is the fuse, LSD is the bomb!"
I love this speech:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Twre6ItGEI&feature=player_embedded#!

And a good morning to you all........Ahhh...a good cup of coffee to start the day. Which I might add is a drug also, and accepted worldwide.
Petamocto: the situations you describe are the first signs of substance abuse and/or alocholism.
Most people know their limit when drinking, and respect it. But some don't know when enough is enough and  become the pickle. And even then, by admitting to themselves that they have a problem, and seeking help, can change.  A casual smoker of MJ could in fact smoke without any
abnormal fits of rage. During the time of the "flower power" scene, the MJ was of little THC value compared with the new and improved variations found out there today. To compare, it was just crap. The users today think that it was the same stuff back then.....so they use that scene to back their quest for legalization. Which is an abortion to the facts. We see many
instances of criminal activity related to drugs, be it high scale coke, crack, and such, there is in
most cases found the lower echelon of drugs (Pot).
"Like throwing gas into a raging fire" has to do with the substance abuse and the consequences thereof. Somewhat like the drunk beating his wife silly. It is well known that MJ lowers ones moral standards, and with continued abuse will eventually affect the overall character of a person.
Therapeutic use, I think, if used diligently, is not the same.

the 48th regulator said:
Here here,

One of the few recreational vices, that can be used medicinally.  When was the last time you heard booze, legally being used to help treat an illness.

Although not for illness....brandy is still presciibed as a medicine for the aged. My mother is 85, and she has her shot of brandy every evening, and I might add, she is in great health.

ballz said:
Haha, and that picture looks like it was taken before I, or you, or most of us in this thread, was born.

I certainly remember the Hippies. 30 years ago, to me, is like yesterday. My first professional contact with them was in 1972 in Yorkville, and Rochdale. ( Roachdale we called it. ) They were both hippie havens in downtown Toronto on the subway line, and on the fringes of the University of Toronto.
Rochdale was the largest co-op residence in North America. 
We were used to handling drunks. But, we didn't understand the drug culture:
"Rochdale was originally a refuge for idealists. Ultimately, its cooperative idealism was its downfall. Dedicated to consensus decision making and granting a vote to everyone who lived (or claimed to live) in the building, Rochdale's governing body was unable to reach agreement to expel those who failed to pay their rents or otherwise live up to its ideals. Unable to pay its mortgage to the Canadian government, Rochdale drifted towards insolvency. As nearby Yorkville became gentrified during the late 1960s, much of Toronto's counterculture moved into Rochdale. This included homeless squatters and bikers who dealt hard drugs, along with a substantial number of undercover officers from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
By 1971 Rochdale had become known as "'North America's largest drug distribution warehouse.' Hash, pot, and LSD are in large supply. The Rochdale security force includes members of biker gangs".
CBC Archives also describe how "due to problems with cops and bikers, the governing council set up a paid security force to be on 24-hour alert. Ironically, some of these security people were bikers themselves. As had happened in Yorkville, an unofficial alliance with the Vagabonds outlaw motorcycle club developed." Rochdale's educational focus and student population declined as the drug business increased.
After increased clashes with police, and unable to pay its mortgage, political pressure forced financial foreclosure by the government, and Rochdale closed in 1975. A number of residents refused to leave. On May 30 the last residents were carried from the building by police. The doors to the college had to be welded shut to keep them out."

Regarding alcohol sales in Ontario. Back in the early 1970's purchases at LCBO stores were quite different than they are today. Unlike the current self serve approach, purchasers were not allowed to browse, and all liquor was held in the back of the store (like the current setup at Ontario’s beer stores). To make a purchase, the purchaser was required to fill in a purchase order form, and then hand it to the cashier. The cashier would hand it to the Counterman, who would retrieve the bottle, wrap it in plain brown paper, and hand it to the customer.
Interestingly, at the time, legal drinking age was 21. But, they reduced it to 18. I believe this was to encourage young people to choose alcohol, rather than drugs.
In the late 1970's, legal age increased from 18 to 19.

mariomike said:
"Marijuana is the flame, heroin is the fuse, LSD is the bomb!"
I love this speech. I believed it to be true at the time, and nothing has changed my mind since then.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Twre6ItGEI&feature=player_embedded#!

nice video...... Other than MJ, the other drug types might be outdated but right to the point. I miss that show :(

Great unintentional context quote: "LSD is the bomb".

57C,

If someone can't control their actions, then they are responsible for their actions.  It doesn't matter to me if they overdose on cocaine, alcohol, MJ, or Testors model glue.

What I was talking about isn't so much overuse or addiction so much as what happens with the average casual use (that the large bell curve of users would remain in).

The anecdotal case to compare the two would be a guy having a rough day at work and when he gets home he either (A) starts drinking or (B) has a joint.  My point is that evening will likely be much better for the wife and kids if dad chooses (B).

That is somewhat true Petamocto.
I believe that pot was first used by mexicans who worked in the agricultural trade. After a long and arduous days work, they would settle in to a smoke.
Also the native indians with the peace pipe thing.
But both of these situations was more inclined as medicinal.

Petamocto said:
The anecdotal case to compare the two would be a guy having a rough day at work and when he gets home he either (A) starts drinking or (B) has a joint.  My point is that evening will likely be much better for the wife and kids if dad chooses (B).
  Bang on there.  I've never supported MJ nor been against it.  I really don't care....but I know from past experiences with my friends that smoked..... share a joint, watch a movie..have some laughs and call it a night. 
  On the other hand if we went downtown drinkin', someone usually gets kicked out of the bar...someone else gets in a fight, loses wallet, gets thrown in the paddy wagon, etc. etc........
    I think the evening is better having chosen Pet's option "B" .    Just my  :2c:

CallOfDuty said:
  Bang on there.  I've never supported MJ nor been against it.  I really don't care....but I know from past experiences with my friends that smoked..... share a joint, watch a movie..have some laughs and call it a night. 
  On the other hand if we went downtown drinkin', someone usually gets kicked out of the bar...someone else gets in a fight, loses wallet, gets thrown in the paddy wagon, etc. etc........

How much of that difference though is that in one situation the people in question were with their friends in an area they controlled, versus with their friends in someone Else's area with 100 other strangers?

CallOfDuty said:

An obvious better choice, if there was only those two choices.
I am neither for nor against also. The ultimate better choice is spending quality time with your better half and kids.
You are obviously aware of the not so good consequences of substance/alcohol abuse.

...Well Crockett, have you ever been to a house party, or even a Friday night in the shacks...all your buddies let loose after a long week full of army co*k?  The booze flows( hard) and before you know it, all your best buddies are in a alcohol fueled rage, trying to rip each others heads off?? 
  I have....too many times!
COD :cdn:

CallOfDuty said:
...Well Crockett, have you ever been to a house party, or even a Friday night in the shacks...all your buddies let loose after a long week full of army co*k?  The booze flows( hard) and before you know it, all your best buddies are in a alcohol fueled rage, trying to rip each others heads off?? 

the thread is about therapeutic pot use.
Lets not go off on a tangent.......at least not too much anyway :) thanks

CallOfDuty said:

Yep, absolutely.

But a house party, or a Friday night in the shacks, typically mixes together more than just a few friends. And just because everyone there knows each other, doesn't make them friends. Again, the biggest difference between these 2 things is a half dozen people smoking a joint and a f*ckload of people drinking.

My point is the more bodies you add, the more problems you create.

[/hijack]

Back