• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Therapeutic Cannabis use

57Chevy

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
I here more and more about therapeutic pot use on the news lately.
I have considered it for my bodily pains.
Presently I use Celebrex, and at times, when pain gets kinda out there, I take Triatec which is opium based.
I am wondering about the pot idea and if it works......if it is better.....or worse, or what?
I find it hard to find any real input on the subject...as right away it seems that I'm not taken seriously.
Anybody?

Very non-specific questions. Are you interested in your "pot use" and it's relationship to the CF?

57Chevy.

You are seeking medical advice on an army-like forum.  If I were you, I'd go to a medical forum and ask them about the use of machine guns in the defensive, and you'd get similar responses.

Seriously, though, your questions are sound, but you're asking the wrong people.

ModlrMike said:
Very non-specific questions. Are you interested in your "pot use" and it's relationship to the CF?
Obviously, I could go out and get some if wanted to. However, it would not be for recreational puposes. I did sustain certain injuries while serving in the forces. What I have heard is that marijuana has therapeutic attributes that help with problems concerning arthrosis, lower back pain, an such.
I am more interested to know if it actually helps.
I hate needles and I don't particularly like taking pills.
Thanks for reading me

Technoviking said:
57Chevy.

You are seeking medical advice on an army-like forum.  If I were you, I'd go to a medical forum and ask them about the use of machine guns in the defensive, and you'd get similar responses.

Seriously, though, your questions are sound, but you're asking the wrong people.

not quite
many mil pers have been injured in the line of duty, and suffer a great deal.
I think this is the better place to find some real responses.
As I am not the only one who uses medication provided by veterans affairs.

Are you asking about coverage and acceptance details by VAC, or are you asking about the opinion from the members of this site?

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
Are you asking about coverage and acceptance details by VAC, or are you asking about the opinion from the members of this site?

dileas

tess

anything and all...what can I say?
personally speaking, I don't think vets affairs would accept it.. but I don't know at this time.

57Chevy said:
anything and all...what can I say?
personally speaking, I don't think vets affairs would accept it.. but I don't know at this time.

If I understand the process correctly, VAC has to pay it if your doctor prescribes it, so the prescription is probably your larger hurdle.  Have you asked your doc about it?

Not sure if you'd seen this or not - http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090514/medical_marijuana_090514?hub=OttawaHome - but at the SCAN seminar I attended recently, the VAC rep informed the audience that there were many veterans now being provided with medical marijuana.  I don't recall the exact number, but I was surprised at how many.

I'm going to stay out of this for a bit - I have personal opinions for and against it's use...

MM

Occam said:
If I understand the process correctly, VAC has to pay it if your doctor prescribes it, so the prescription is probably your larger hurdle.  Have you asked your doc about it?

Not sure if you'd seen this or not - http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090514/medical_marijuana_090514?hub=OttawaHome - but at the SCAN seminar I attended recently, the VAC rep informed the audience that there were many veterans now being provided with medical marijuana.  I don't recall the exact number, but I was surprised at how many.

Occam nailed it.

VAC covers it, if it is prescribed by your Doctor (GP, Psychiatrist).

Next question, are you wondering if it is acceptable by the members of the forums?

dileas

tess

medicineman said:
I'm going to stay out of this for a bit - I have personal opinions for and against it's use...

MM

I always like when people give their opinions about not giving their opinion  ;D  :D ;D (joke, joke!)

Have you tried accupuncture? I used to be very sceptical about it  until my physio tried it on me...and I must say it helps a lot!

Anyway, good luck man! Living with constant pain is not much fun....

57Chevy said:
I am wondering about the pot idea and if it works......if it is better.....or worse, or what?

We can all offer personal opinions, but only a Medical Doctor can sign the declaration.
"Applicants must provide a declaration from a medical practitioner to support the application."

"Who is eligible to use medical marijuana?":
http://www.medicalmarihuana.ca/for-patients/who-is-eligible

"Who is eligible to obtain an authorization to possess marihuana?":
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/marihuana/about-apropos/faq-eng.php/#a3

mariomike said:
I think Technoviking was right ( as usual ) in Reply #2.
We can all offer personal opinions, but only a Medical Doctor can sign the declaration.
"Applicants must provide a declaration from a medical practitioner to support the application."

"Who is eligible to use medical marijuana?":
http://www.medicalmarihuana.ca/for-patients/who-is-eligible

"Who is eligible to obtain an authorization to possess marihuana?":
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/marihuana/about-apropos/faq-eng.php/#a3

Now we're gettng someplace....thanks for the links......I'll be checking them out.
What of pros and cons?
Opinions count too........As I have read the eligibility link, I see that I would be able to apply.

57Chevy said:
Now we're gettng someplace....thanks for the links......I'll be checking them out.
What of pros and cons?
Opinions count too........As I have read the eligibility link, I see that I would be able to apply.

Speaking as a ( retired ) health care professional, my advice, whenever asked for advice about what medications I would, or would not, recommend, has always been to make an appointment with your family doctor. S/he will examine you and prescribe what medicine(s) is best for you.
That's not always what people want to hear. But, it is the way we were taught.

Here is another link I found interesting. I hope you do too.
Medical cannabis in Canada:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_cannabis#Canada

medicineman said:

MM

Lets hear it
I have pros and cons too
I remain undecided on its use, but I think it has its place other than recreational use. To put it
bluntly.....other than just getting stoned like most users.

mariomike said:
Here is another link I found interesting. I hope you do too.
Medical cannabis:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_cannabis

Thanks for that too
Very interesting

Pros - can stimulate people's appetites, can relax people, lots of different ways of getting it into the system

Cons - what's the real effective dose (Cheech and Chong size joints or just a small one, or better yet, a pill of xmg strength THC); for those that smoke it, are the health risks associated with smoking non-filtered smoke worse than what's wrong with the person; do they just want it because they're junkies and "nothing else works for me" that you get with drug seekers; fat soluble drug, so stuff can keep coming back (could also be a pro - maybe a little sustained release) - hard to regulate in the system properly; can build tolerance so therefore need more to get the same effect.  There the legal embuggerances of having to carry your LTT - License to Toke and Transport (not in that order) and where you get the stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I feel there is a place for this stuff, especially with some diseases, like advanced/terminal cancers.  When you give someone anything, you have to be pretty sure what the intended effect you want is, what the odds of harm coming to someone are and what both people involved hope to gain, all while taking the best available evidence to support you decision...people don't realize that alot of physicians aren't going to prescribe something if there isn't good hard proof of what something does and what the minimum safe and effective dose of a given medicine is.  A wise man named Paracelsus once said all medicines are poisons; only the dose determines poison or remedy.  The jury is still out on good dose vs bad dose I believe.

There are lots of other things out there besides drugs to hep with pain - the best pain docs deal with the mental as well as physical side of things...and there's the rub - people don't want to do the work that comes with staying healthy.  They just want to take a pill or light up and hope everything goes away.  People don't want the advice their doc has for them, which for the most part is really what alot of people need - they just want that magic Rx pad.

Sorry to all for sounding a bit preachy (and long winded) - I'd say the same about alot of medicne we give out as well that are actually legal.

MM

Like Bloke said try accupuncture.

See a naturalpath and things over the counter herbal. Massage can help too.

A lifestyle change of a healthier diet, low impact exercise in a group environment, and a happier outlook also can help.

Try the physio/chiro route too, or prescribed proven/reliable medication if you must.

I'd steer clear of Mary Jane.

My 2 bob.

Cheers,

OWDU

to mariomike: Firstly,  I am one of the too many that doesn't have a family doc. I do take the
                      medication that was prescribed to me as I support the doctors advice. And
                      I am not saying that the prescribed medication doesn't work....because it does.
                      At least to some degree. Thanks for the input
medicineman: You don't sound at all preachy.....A lot of docs are paid off by pill mfg companies
                      to get their product used. I notice in one of the links aformentioned about finding
                    a  compassionate Dr. because most Drs. are not for this type of treatment. Except
                      the terminal type cases, of which I somewhat agree. I am not looking for a fix all
                      type of thing......more on the lines of pain management. Some days are good and
                      some days are bad. That's why the doc prescribed the triatec on an as required
                      basis. I think that the pot use could be effective, but there seems to be a lot of
                      negative sides to the issue. For one, like needing more and more all the time to
                      obtain the same result. Memory loss and some sort of mental rage I see in alot
                      of the heavy user types. Thanks for the input

Overwatch Downunder said:
Like Bloke said try accupuncture.

See a naturalpath and things over the counter herbal. Massage can help too.

A lifestyle change of a healthier diet, low impact exercise in a group environment, and a happier outlook also can help.

Try the physio/chiro route too, or prescribed proven/reliable medication if you must.

I'd steer clear of Mary Jane.

My 2 bob.

Cheers,

OWDU

I won't be trying acuunture...I hate needles  :D
The rest is good advice...thanks for the input

Back