• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Themacell-anti mosquito device.

Rider Pride said:
I believe Health Canada has now allowed use of Permethrin treated clothing and equipment in Canada. That will help to deter the pesky bugs.

Yes, they have, but you're not going to get uniforms treated for every exercise. 

But you can with some legal safety now run down to Walmart in the US and bring back permetherin spray and treat your uniforms yourself.

http://www.travmed.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=398

MC

PMedMoe said:
Yes, they have, but you're not going to get uniforms treated for every exercise.

Ah, the very rare opportunity to teach a PMed about their job....

Actually, treated by the prermethrin dip, combat clothing will provide protection for up to/about 50 washes, or at least 6 months, which would be more than sufficient to cover anyone during the summer months here in Canada.

Permetherin is now allowed...? Good thing I "found" a few yellow cans packed away in my army stuff. Too bad I couldn't find any bug dip too....

Rider Pride said:
Ah, the very rare opportunity to teach a PMed about their job....

Ha ha ha......  ;)

Rider Pride said:
Actually, treated by the prermethrin dip, combat clothing will provide protection for up to/about 50 washes, or at least 6 months, which would be more than sufficient to cover anyone during the summer months here in Canada.

True, but I've never had a request for treating uniforms to be worn in Canada.  I'd be asking for a fin code to cover the cost.  :nod:

Steve1987 said:
I would not be heart broken if it got lost or broken on a weekend ex with a MSRP of $12 to replace the unit itself. I believe I bought mine with enough fuel to get me threw the month for around $25. 
-Steve
Did you get it on sale?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Camping/MosquitoRepellents/PRD~0593816P/ThermaCELL%252BCompact%252B%252BMosquito%252BRepellent%252BAppliance.jsp?locale=en

Hmm....

Looks like Chinadian Tire is jacking up the prices.  Last year when I bought mine it was $12, and it's still running.  It appears the one now on the CT website under the same number is a different model also.  The color is different, I think it looks bigger, and is missing the starting button.  Here is the one I have:

http://www.mosquitorepellent.com/compact-appliance.asp

Thermacells website also states the MSRP is only $13.99 so obviously we know who is out to lunch with price if CT is saying that one on their site is the same thing.  I would check Lebarons as they also carry Thermacell and I seam to remember they have good prices on both the units and refills.

Good luck, hopefully CT will carry the good one that costs less again soon.
-Steve

Crappy Tire seems to be jacking up prices on a lot of items similar to the Thermacell.  I bought a Skeetervac SV-31 (mosquito control unit) from there two years ago, and the refills have rocketed in price (sticky paper 2-pack good for 30 days is $30, attractant cartridges good for 60 days $30 each).  I bought an entire summer's supply of both items at $13 each as web purchases from the US and having it shipped for free to a relative in CT who brought it over on their last visit.

Bloody Canadian Tire is worse than inkjet printer manufacturers...sell the gadget for next to nothing, and make the serious bucks on the supplies!

Steve1987 said:
Hmm....

Looks like Chinadian Tire is jacking up the prices.  Last year when I bought mine it was $12, and it's still running.  It appears the one now on the CT website under the same number is a different model also.  The color is different, I think it looks bigger, and is missing the starting button.  Here is the one I have:

Thermacells website also states the MSRP is only $13.99 so obviously we know who is out to lunch with price if CT is saying that one on their site is the same thing.  I would check Lebarons as they also carry Thermacell and I seam to remember they have good prices on both the units and refills.

-Steve
Thanks, good to know.

Will check out Lebarin or MEC next time I'm in town.

Walmart carries the Thermacell and refills - did not note the prices.

Steve1987 said:
Hmm....

-Steve
Lebarons does not carry the compact unit.  I should've bought the re-fills there while I had the chance though.  The compact unit (it is the same as the one you linked too, not the one on the CT website) and the large pack of refills cost me nearly $70 at CT.  I swallowed it though... we'll see if it is worth it.

Oh, and, I didn't see them at MEC anywhere.

I meant to write this a lot sooner, but life got in the way.

I bought a Thermacell for my ARTL Mod 1&2 course in Gagetown this past summer. Overall, I found that it worked great. I stocked up on refill pads and butane cartridges and used it heavily during the field portion. I found that it kept away the vast majority of flying insects, from no-see-ums to mosquitoes. On occasions where it didn't keep 100% of bugs away, it certainly cut down noticeably on the number of bugs around me.

I used it inside my G-wagon during radio watch shifts at night without any problems. Most of the time, though, it was used outdoors. The only time it seemed to have problems was whenever there was a stiff breeze about. It became an essential part of my kit and i pulled it out for everything, to the point where everyone in the troop started to encourage its use.

It's a bit on the pricey side, and it's also a bit bulky, but it does work very well. Much more preferable to coils, IMHO.

Rider Pride said:
I believe Health Canada has now allowed use of Permethin treated clothing and equipment in Canada. That will help to deter the pesky bugs.
Approved to use but you can't buy it in Canada and have to purchase abroad, anyone try mail order?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Canadian Recommendations for the Prevention and Treatment of Malaria Among International Travellers

How to Treat Clothing with Insecticides (adapted from Sawyer Products)

Before travelling, individuals should inquire about the availability of insecticide and should plan to purchase and apply these products at their destination. These products are not currently registered by the PMRA.

Select an area that is well ventilated, but out of the wind. Do not spray in an enclosed area.

Lay clothing flat on the ground, pin clothes on a clothesline, drape over porch furniture and railings, or hang clothes on separate clothes hangers, so that each garment can be easily sprayed and allowed to thoroughly dry.

One treatment with permethrin spray will remain effective for 2 weeks, including weekly launderings. An amount of 100 mL (3 fluid ounces) of permethrin spray will treat one complete set of garments (a pair of long-legged trousers and a long-sleeved shirt). Jackets, windbreakers, and rain gear may be treated in the same manner (caution: permethrin does not adhere well to some synthetic fibres).

Wear protective gloves.
Spray one side of the garment for approximately 60 seconds holding the spray can or bottle upright and 15-20 cm away from the surface. Spray in a slow sweeping motion, similar to spraying paint, to evenly coat the entire surface. Turn the garment around to the other side and repeat by spraying the second side for 60 seconds. The surface of the clothing should be wetted but not completely saturated with spray.

Hang garments up and allow the permethrin treatment to dry for 2 hours, or 4 hours if conditions are very humid.

other garments and gear (do not treat underwear):

Socks can be treated with permethrin spray. Lay socks on the ground or pin on a clothesline, and lightly spray the upper parts of socks. Allow to dry for 2 or more hours.

Polyurethane-coated nylon (synthetic) tent flaps and doors can be treated with permethrin spray. Erect tent outdoors and spray all tent flaps and doors until wetted. Leave standing for 2 or more hours to dry.

After garments have dried, pack them as you normally would for your trip. You may also want to roll up your treated clothes and store them in a plastic bag to keep them dry. Pack tents as you normally would.

(Taken from the section about bug nets)
Pour any waste insecticide down a pit latrine or into a pit dug into the ground and NOT into a river or pond, as pyrethroids are highly toxic to fish and aquatic invertebrates.

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/ccdr-rmtc/04vol30/30s1/appendix3-eng.php

"Although permethrin is not available in Canada, travel health clinics can advise you how to purchase permethrin and pre-treated gear before or during your trip"
http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/tmp-pmv/info/malaria-eng.php

Picked up some pad kits at Princess Auto on sale for $26, woot! Stopped in at Campers Village for some hiking food and saw them regular $22  :'( Oh well, now I know where to top up if the mossy's get bad this year.

LineJumper said:
Picked up some pad kits at Princess Auto on sale for $26, woot! Stopped in at Campers Village for some hiking food and saw them regular $22  :'( Oh well, now I know where to top up if the mossy's get bad this year.

You mean these?  Not sure how much it would cost you if you had to ship them to Canada, but if you know someone over the border...

Back