• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Themacell-anti mosquito device.

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
If you guys are going to spend any time in the woods you need to pick one of these suckers up.
It's a $25 thing 1/2 the size of a plgr that repells mosquetos and black flies. I've never seen anything like it. Within minutes (like 3) I've seen a swampy area we were in with what seemed like hundreds of mosquito in the area drop down to about 3 or 4 of them. You need to see it to believe it.
It takes little butane canisters that last 4 to 6 hours and once you turn it on (put the switch on on and hit a button not unlike starting a bbq) the noiseless device heats up little pads (which last 8 hours? I'd have to check) and in heating the little pad it repells the bastards.

Replacement butane canisters and smelly pads are a little expensive, about $30 for 4 canisters and 12 pads but when you have 4 hours to sleep at night it's well worth the money to sleep bug free.

41ReOXUj3qL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Let me know how you like it, I was just floored at how well it worked.

In the future it's going to be the second thing I pack after my softie.

Looks cool. From the WHO:

Toxicology studies on d-allethrin generally showed low mammalian toxicity. The
IPCS evaluation in 1989 concluded that, under recommended conditions of use,
the exposure of the general population to allethrins is negligible and is unlikely to
present a hazard. Also, with the usual precautions, the use of allethrins is
unlikely to present a hazard to those occupationally exposed to them. The WHO
hazard classification of d-allethrin is: slightly hazardous.

See:  http://www.who.int/whopes/quality/en/dAllethrin_spec_eval_March_04.pdf

I did not see whether there is a product warning or restriction on use in confined spaces (i.e. in your hooch, as we all know that somebody somewhere will turn it on in a two man crew tent and go to sleep.

I'd love to see a comparative study between its effectiveness and DEET.

There is a warning on the package saying not to use it in confined spaces like tents.
I happily ignored it and slept wonderfully.

This is hands-down one of the best purchases I have ever made for the army. I did my PLQ mod 6 this past summer in Petawawa, and as anyone who has spent a night in the training area there can tell you, it's not a fun time. During patrol week especially this little device made what could have been an unbearable experience better. Even during recce patrols through the wettest, most bug-infested areas, within minutes of stopping the area around us was completely bug free. I would recommend this to anybody who spends nights outside. To correct the OP, the butane canisters last approximately 12 hours, and the pads approximately 4, though my personal experience suggests this is a conservative estimate.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

I used this device on Op. Cadence and it was pretty popular.  We were in some wooded areas in Borden and the mosquitos were extremely dense.  With the Thermocell hanging onto my tac-vest it cut the onslaught down considerably, my only complaint is that a lot of people were awkwardly standing near me in order to get some protection.  The Thermocell proved to be a worthwhile investment and I still keep it in my kit, however I use the simpler/smaller version, it takes up less space and has the same performance, I think I got it at Canadian Tire.

-Steve

Steve1987 said:
my only complaint is that a lot of people were awkwardly standing near me in order to get some protection. 

Yup, I'll vouch for that.

The one you had, if I'm not mistaken, fit within a single mag pouch, didn't it?

Correct.  It was the Thermocell compact. On the Canadian Tire website it is Product #59-3816-4 

The Thermocell compact fits in a mag pouch no problem, or attaches on a small carabiner to be clipped anywhere. Best of all, it offers the same protection/performance as the bigger unit, and costs less, I would not be heart broken if it got lost or broken on a weekend ex with a MSRP of $12 to replace the unit itself. I believe I bought mine with enough fuel to get me threw the month for around $25.  I've since bought some more fuel/pads. Could easily be spray painted olive/coyote or whatever your tastes are, although it's pretty neutral in color already.

-Steve

Are there any heat issues with carrying one of these things on your person ? 
I was under the impression they weren't recommended for that.

Bass ackwards said:
Are there any heat issues with carrying one of these things on your person ? 
I was under the impression they weren't recommended for that.

I can personally vouch for Steve not being on fire.

But no, I've seen a number of people carry these things in tacvests without problems.

Thanks Brihard, that's good to know -(both things!).

I can put one of those to good use...in a few months.

Hi Bass Ackwards,

There are no heat issues, the device gets warm, not hot.  It could not burn/melt anything.  I've left it running in my houch all night, and no bugs were biting my face while I slept.

It does have a small but still significant I.R. signature however.

-Steve

Get Nautical said:
I want one :eek:

me too !.......It would be a great addition to the tackle box/camping gear
and they're available at Canadian Tire :D

Staff Weenie said:
Looks cool. From the WHO:

Toxicology studies on d-allethrin generally showed low mammalian toxicity. The
IPCS evaluation in 1989 concluded that, under recommended conditions of use,
the exposure of the general population to allethrins is negligible and is unlikely to
present a hazard. Also, with the usual precautions, the use of allethrins is
unlikely to present a hazard to those occupationally exposed to them. The WHO
hazard classification of d-allethrin is: slightly hazardous.

See:  http://www.who.int/whopes/quality/en/dAllethrin_spec_eval_March_04.pdf

I did not see whether there is a product warning or restriction on use in confined spaces (i.e. in your hooch, as we all know that somebody somewhere will turn it on in a two man crew tent and go to sleep.

I'd love to see a comparative study between its effectiveness and DEET.

Deet also has some effects;
Exposures of Military Personnel-Dermal Effects

Unique cutaneous side effects have been reported in fewer than 15 soldiers who applied military-issued DEET repellents. A 19-year-old soldier applied a 33% DEET repellent to his skin, and then slept with the repellent still on his skin. He developed a vesiculobullous eruption of his left antecubital fossa, which cleared after 14 days (McKinlay et al. 1998). A 20-year-old soldier noticed a burning sensation and skin eruption in his antecubital fossa area after sleeping with repellent on his skin for 8 hours. The man was treated with corticosteroids for 10 days, and the lesions disappeared without sequelae (Amichai et al. 1994). Reuveni and Yagupsky (1982) reported an additional 10 soldiers who developed a burning sensation and erythema in the antecubital fossa after applying a 50% DEET solution before sleeping. Four of the soldiers were referred to a dermatologist, and only three soldiers received medical treatment. In two of the soldiers, a permanent scar remained in the location of the erythema. Once of the cases required corrective surgery after scar tissue formation.

In a controlled test following the initial reactions, 63 soldiers volunteered for testing. They were treated with a gauze pad soaked in DEET that was applied to the antecubital fossa. Of the 63 soldiers tested, 46% of them developed a reaction to the treatment. The reactions varied in intensity, but all had epidermal changes. However, when the men were also patch-tested on their upper arms in a similar manner, none had a reaction, suggesting that the antecubital fossa was uniquely sensitive to the irritant effects of DEET. A second control group was tested at the U.S. Naval Hospital in Oakland, CA to confirm DEET as the cause of the symptoms, and the results were consistent with the cases that occurred in Vietnam (Lamberg and Mulrennan 1969). These cases would suggest that it is prudent to wash DEET from the skin surface before sleeping.

Health Effects in Humans
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/consultations/deet/health-effects.html

Good thing we're not using the 98% DEET we used to get issued. ;)

Great for starting fires, melting watches, loosening rusted bolts and stripping paint. Oh, and no bugs within ten feet of you ;D

Still got a box in the basement somewhere.

I believe Health Canada has now allowed use of Permethin treated clothing and equipment in Canada. That will help to deter the pesky bugs.

Back