• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The WTF News Files

George Wallace

Army.ca Dinosaur
Inactive
Reaction score
Some of the news we read really falls under one category: The WTF News

Can anyone say anything else after reading this:

LINK

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.
Woman hurt typing fake profiles of sexy women for dating site, $20M suit alleges

By Paola Loriggio, The Canadian Press 

TORONTO - A dating website for married people who want to cheat on their spouses is being sued by a former employee who says she damaged her wrists typing up hundreds of fake profiles of sexy women.

Doriana Silva is seeking $20 million from Ashley Madison for what she calls the company's "unjust enrichment" at her expense, plus another $1 million in punitive and general damages.

In her statement of claim, Silva — a Brazilian immigrant living in Toronto — says she was hired to help launch a Portuguese-language version of the site and promised a starting salary of $34,000 plus benefits.

She was soon asked to create 1,000 "fake female profiles" meant to lure men to the new Brazilian Ashley Madison site — and given only three weeks to complete the work, the document alleges.

"The purpose of these profiles is to entice paying heterosexual male members to join and spend money on the website," it reads.

"They do not belong to any genuine members of Ashley Madison — or any real human beings at all."

The allegations have not been proven in court and Ashley Madison has yet to file a statement of defence.

The company, which describes itself as a dating service for married people, did not respond to requests for comment.

In her claim, Silva says she didn't question her assignment, and no one at the company suggested there was anything "unlawful or improper" about the alleged phoney profiles.

In fact, she was led to believe "that doing so was some sort of a normal business practice in the industry," it says.

Had she been aware of the "ethical and legal issues arising in relation to online fraud," Silva would have turned down the work, she alleges in the document.

Creating the profiles "required an enormous amount of keyboarding" and Silva developed severe pain in her wrists and forearms, the claim says.

She alleges company brass ignored her complaints and her request for a wrist rest.

The pain soon made it impossible for Silva to do her job and she has been unable to work since 2011, the document reads, adding she "remains seriously disabled in many if not all aspects of her life."

In her claim, Silva says the company has refused to grant her workers' compensation or insurance despite an earlier agreement she would be covered, and the costs of physiotherapy and other treatments are adding up.

"Doriana's injuries are permanent and her prognosis is uncertain," the document says.

The suit was filed last year but stalled while the company petitioned the court to strike references to "ethics" and "unethical practices" from the statement of claim.

But a Superior Court judge found the references necessary to describe "the factual context in which the injuries were sustained," a decision that was upheld on appeal this month.

Silva's lawyer, Paul Dollak, said while compensation for personal injuries is usually calculated based on how much that person has suffered, his client is instead seeking a share of the money earned through the profiles she created.

On its website, Ashley Madison says it does not pre-screen members and can't "guarantee the authenticity of any profile," warning that "anyone who is able to commit identity theft can also falsify a dating profile."

Interesting.  I bet she gets more than a VA lump sum...

:facepalm: Jaws finally ate more than he can chew...literally.

Yahoo News

Newfoundlanders save shark choking on moose

By Lindsay Jolivet | Daily Buzz – 23 hours ago.

A Greenland shark with a distinctly Canadian appetite chomped more moose than he could swallow this weekend.

Derrick Chaulk in Norris Arm North, Nfld., saw the 2.5-metre long, toothy fish struggling on shore as he passed the local harbour, according to CBC. Being a good marine neighbour, he stopped to help the creature and saw that it was choking on a hunk of furry moose meat about two feet long.

Another man, Jeremy Ball, gripped the piece of meat and heaved until it came loose from the shark's mouth, according to the CBC.
Together they pushed it back into the water using a rope. About 30 minutes later, the animals swam away, according to the story. The men told CBC hunters often throw pieces of moose meat into the water after butchering an animal.

The Greenland shark typically lives in the North Atlantic waters near Greenland and Iceland, according to Discovery, and CBC reports they are not a common sight off the coast of Newfoundland. This species of shark mostly eats fish, but it won't turn down a chunk of meat when one is available — Discovery lists horses, bears and a reindeer among food Greenland sharks have eaten before.

In 2011, the blog Not Exactly Rocket Science by Ed Yong covered a video showing an animal that's designed to leave sharks choking on their food. When a shark bites a hagfish, the slippery creature oozes buckets of slime that gag the predator and send it swimming away.

This unfortunate moose accomplished that task with no slime required.

Only in Newfoundland can you push a fish with a rope.

Ralph Hadad of McGill University is protesting Movember as being racist and sexist.

Pete Bombaci, National Director of Movember Canada, responds to the McGill University student who called Movember 'racist, sexist':  http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/2870565844001

George Wallace said:
Ralph Hadad of McGill University is protesting Movember as being racist and sexist.

Why? Girls like me participate too. I donate and I also refrain from all shaving and waxing for the entire month.  Seems pretty fair to me.  ;D

ArmyVern said:
I also refrain from all shaving and waxing for the entire month.  Seems pretty fair to me.  ;D

Is that in response to hubby not shaving as well?

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/11/26/passengers-drunken-air-rage-foiled-by-police-hockey-team-sharing-same-flight/

Not sure if it should go here but it gave me a good chuckle...

Crantor said:
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/11/26/passengers-drunken-air-rage-foiled-by-police-hockey-team-sharing-same-flight/

Not sure if it should go here but it gave me a good chuckle...

even if it doesn't belong here some of the assinine comments do.... WTF? ::)

medicineman said:
That's not a WTF File - that's more of a  Nelsonian "HA HA".

MM

This next story counts as both.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/11/26/windsors-phallus-obsessed-bushwacker-strikes-again-guerrilla-gardener-writes-penis-with-shrubs/

UPDATE

LINK

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.
Movember declared ‘sexist, racist, transphobic’ at Canada’s sorry imitation of Harvard

Eric Owens
Education Editor, The DAILY CALLER
10:25 AM 11/25/2013

The health and education editor of the student newspaper at one of Canada’s most prestigious universities has advised the world that Movember — the month-long pledge by men to grow hair above the upper lip to support men’s health awareness —  is “sexist, racist, transphobic, and misinformed.”

In his 1,120-word essay in The McGill Daily, Ralph Haddad calls “the idea of suggesting that men show solidarity with each other by growing moustaches” to raise awareness about prostate cancer and other issues “completely absurd.”

“Moustache” is the over-lettered Canadian spelling of the word mustache, by the way. And McGill is generally ranked with the University of Toronto as among the best universities in the world.

Haddad’s complaints about Movember are many. To begin with, he says, the concept discriminates against transgender people by linking masculinity “to secondary male characteristics, including having a prostate” and the ability to grow facial hair.

“To be completely clear, you don’t have to be a man to have a prostate, and you don’t have to have a prostate to be a man,” Haddad proclaims.

The English and cultural studies major argues that Movember “implies an archaic view of gender that implies that only a male/female gender binary exists, and that you aren’t really a man if you don’t necessarily identify with that binary.”

He asks: “How are people who do not identify with that binary and have a prostate supposed to partake in this cause?”

Haddad claims Movember is also racist because black males are “twice as likely to develop” prostate cancer than white males yet most people celebrating Movember are white. Somehow, this is apparently racist.

Movember is also sexist, according to Haddad. After lamenting a bunch of unlinked, unembedded tweets which allegedly chastise women for wanting to grow leg and pubic hair to celebrate either Movember or No-Shave November (a competing thing, apparently), Haddad charges that the act of not shaving some hair “has been twisted into a misogynistic tool by its own users.

Finally, Haddad aggressively claims that “campaigns like Movember help perpetuate” micro-aggressions–which he defines as “interactions between people of different races, genders, sexualities, and cultures that represent small acts of non-physical violence.”

“Do some basic research, educate yourself on the issue, and think twice before growing a moustache this, or any other, November,” Haddad implores.

Follow Eric on Twitter and on Facebook, and send education-related story tips to erico@dailycaller.com
Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/11/25/movember-declared-sexist-racist-transphobic-at-canadas-sorry-imitation-of-harvard/#ixzz2m4vmoi71

Makes you wonder how some people have been able to progress successfully through the Education System on to Institutions of Higher Learning.

Agreed George

"some people are too stupid to get on in life"

Boris Johnson, Mayor of London, England.

I just fucking love it when men decide I should be offended by something men are doing.  ::)

I can guarantee you that MOVEMBER does not offend this girl in the slightest; this guy needs to pull up his big girl panties.  ID 10 T.  ::)

Must have been a slow news day.  Every news channel had this running on repeat all night long.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/canine-crowned-world-s-ugliest-dog-in-2007-dies-1.1568326
Canine crowned world's ugliest dog in 2007 dies

SEWELL, N.J. -- A New Jersey canine that was crowned the world's ugliest dog in 2007 and later became the topic of a children's book preaching acceptance has died. Elwood was 8.

His owner, Karen Quigley, says the Chinese crested and Chihuahua mix died unexpectedly Thanksgiving morning. The Sewell resident said Elwood had been dealing with some heath issues in recent months but appeared to be doing well.

Elwood was dark colored and hairless - save for a puff of white fur resembling a Mohawk on his head. He was often referred to by fans as Yoda, or E.T., for his resemblance to those famous science-fiction characters.  Elwood won his crown at the annual ugly dog contest at the Sonoma-Marin County Fair in California a year after he had finished second.

Quigley had rescued Elwood in 2005, when he was about nine months old.

"The breeder was going to euthanize him because she thought he was too ugly to sell," Quigley has said.

After garnering the ugly dog title, Elwood became an online darling and developed a worldwide fan base. During his life, he appeared at more than 200 events that helped raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for animal rescue groups and nonprofit animal organizations.

Inspired by her pet, Quigley wrote "Everyone Loves Elwood," a popular children's book that promoted a message that it's OK to be different. Quigley said the book shares lessons of love, compassion and perseverance and encourages readers to be kind to animals.

"He made people smile, he made them laugh and feel good. It was wonderful," Quigley said Saturday. "He will truly be missed."
71285937.jpg

This isn't what you may think at reading the headline, read the article.

Two thousand mice dropped on Guam by parachute — to kill snakes

They floated down from the sky Sunday — 2,000 mice, wafting on tiny cardboard parachutes over Andersen Air Force Base in the U.S. territory of Guam.

But the rodent commandos didn't know they were on a mission: to help eradicate the brown tree snake, an invasive species that has caused millions of dollars in wildlife and commercial losses since it arrived a few decades ago.

That's because they were dead. And pumped full of painkillers.

(...)

NBC news

From Agence-France-Presse:

Woman to give birth to own granddaughter in US

LOS ANGELES - A 58-year-old Utah woman is expecting a baby she is carrying for her daughter, with plans to give birth to her own granddaughter, reports said Friday.

Julia Navarro, a Peruvian who lives in the western US state, agreed to be implanted with one of her daughter Lorena McKinnon's fertilized eggs after the 32-year-old had a string of miscarriages.

"As a family, we have to help each other," Navarro, who is expecting to give birth to the baby in early February, told The Salt Lake Tribune newspaper.

Navarro, a nurse's aide, had to undergo tests to ensure she was physically fit to give birth. She had been menopausal for about 12 years but gave herself hormone shots every day for three months to prepare for being implanted.

She and her daughter also had to sign contracts about parental rights and take three months of state-ordered counseling.

"The psychologists wanted to make sure we knew what we were getting into -- that we were mentally prepared," said McKinnon. "Mostly, surrogacy contracts are with people you don't know.

"It was weird to have a contract with my mom."

Doctors gave her only a 45 percent chance of an egg being successfully implanted. But it worked the first time, and the pregnancy has gone smoothly, with no morning sickness, cravings or discomfort.

McKinnon read up on pregnancy tips.

"I told her to drink more water... not to eat peas -- I had heard they were bad -- and not to cross her legs because it might hurt her circulation," McKinnon said of her mother.

But Navarro reminded her that she had given birth to two daughters, and "knew how to do it, thank you very much."

"It's worked out better than I ever expected... I didn't want to get my hopes up, but we haven't had any complications," said the baby's father Micah McKinnon.

"I'm pretty happy about it," he said.

The McKinnons said they would like more children, after the soon-to-be birth of their first baby from eggs fertilized in vitro.

"We still have five embryos left," said Lorena McKinnon.

Back