• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The WTF News Files

It seems to me that this would not be the first time a grandparent carried a grandchild to term for the biological mother.

I vaguely remember hearing about a similar situation several years ago.

cupper said:
It seems to me that this would not be the first time a grandparent carried a grandchild to term for the biological mother.

I vaguely remember hearing about a similar situation several years ago.

Must have been a family with connections to the Roslyn Hotel in Edmonton  ;D

Man shot dead in Florida movie theatre in texting spat

Authorities say a retired Tampa police officer has been charged with fatally shooting a man and allegedly injuring a woman during an argument over cellphone use at a Florida theatre.

Two couples had been watching Lone Survivor at The Grove 16 Theater in Wesley Chapel, north of Tampa, when 71-year-old Curtis Reeves asked 43-year-old Chad Oulson to stop texting, said Pasco County Sheriff's spokesman Doug Tobin.

That argument led to the shooting. Oulson and his wife, Nichole, were taken to a Tampa-area hospital where he later died. His wife's injuries weren't considered life-threatening.

More at link

You know, I can almost see the guy's point of view.  I pay to see a movie and not to be distracted by the bright screen and/or noises of someone's cellphone.

We went to see the Headstones in Kingston in December and the kids in front of us kept taking pictures.  Pictures of the bands were one thing, but the "selfies" kept bathing us in the bright light of the flash.  I finally said something to the effect of "Enough with the effing cellphones" and it stopped.  Unfortunately, we left the concert at intermission because the sound was terrible.  :mad:

And I had visions of fields and fields of carrot tops, row by row, awaiting plucking from the ground and packaged for me......

The truth behind baby carrots
By Sky McCarthy January 07, 2014 FoxNews.com
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/01/07/truth-behind-baby-carrots/?intcmp=obnetwork

Baby carrots have become a lunch box staple. Parents love them for their convenience and because they’re seen as a healthy food choice. Kids love them because they’re sweet and fun to eat.

But what’s the real deal behind baby carrots?

After all, they’re not like regular carrots. They’re perfectly shaped with rounded edges; they don’t have the same thick core; and, even peeled, they’re bright orange. And a quick Google search of baby carrots turns up some frightening information on how they’re made and whether they’re really “soaked in chlorine.”  What’s up with that?

We decided to dig up the truth on baby carrots, and here’s what we found.

Most baby carrots sold in U.S. supermarkets are really what the industry calls “baby cuts” – made from longer carrots that have been peeled and cut into a smaller size. These carrots have been specifically bred to be smaller in diameter, coreless and sweeter than regular carrots.

Bob Borda, a spokesman for Grimmway Farms, the world’s largest carrot grower (it handles 10 million pounds every day), says that over the years the company has developed a hybrid that combines the best qualities from over 250 known commercial varieties.

“Naturally, you breed carrots to get the sweetest flavor and crunch,” he told FoxNews.com.

But baby carrots didn’t start out that way.  Prior to the mid-1980s, broken and misshaped carrots were discarded, leaving some farmers with as little as 30 percent of their crop to take to stores. Tired of throwing away perfectly good food, California carrot farmer Mike Yurosek took the carrots and used a potato peeler to reshape them into small pieces more suitable for quick munching. Yurosek purchased an industrial green bean cutter to quickly whittle the carrots into the familiar 2-inch portions we still see today — and their popularity took off.
more on link

The truth is that these carrots are taken from their mothers in infancy and then kept in appalling conditions - without light and fed only milk.  Then they're thrown into a peeling machine - so they can be shaped into our society's sick and depraved vision of what a vegetable should look like.  Then they are slaughtered without mercy for our eating "enjoyment."  Where's the justice!

As the Arrogant Worms said, "carrot juice constitutes murder."

http://artists.letssingit.com/arrogant-worms-lyrics-carrot-juice-is-murder-sdnfw88#axzz2qNhTHKbl

Pusser said:
The truth is that these carrots are taken from their mothers in infancy and then kept in appalling conditions - without light and fed only milk.  Then they're thrown into a peeling machine - so they can be shaped into our society's sick and depraved vision of what a vegetable should look like.  Then they are slaughtered without mercy for our eating "enjoyment."  Where's the justice!

As the Arrogant Worms said, "carrot juice constitutes murder."

http://artists.letssingit.com/arrogant-worms-lyrics-carrot-juice-is-murder-sdnfw88#axzz2qNhTHKbl

DOES PAM ANDERSON KNOW ABOUT THIS!!?? We better let her know so she can campaign against this horrible injustice!

At night I can hear the screams of the vegetables.

:panic:

Teflon said:
DOES PAM ANDERSON KNOW ABOUT THIS!!?? We better let her know so she can campaign against this horrible injustice!

Are you kidding?  She doesn't care about carrots because they're not cute and cuddly.  I bet she has a coat made from their skins.

Pusser said:
Are you kidding?  She doesn't care about carrots because they're not cute and cuddly.  I bet she has a coat made from their skins.

BAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!

I doubt Pamela Anderson cares about baby carrots; from what I've seen, I figure she prefers much bigger....carrots.  >:D

Journeyman said:
I doubt Pamela Anderson cares about baby carrots; from what I've seen, I figure she prefers much bigger....carrots.  >:D

Infected with Hep C.  :-X

Brandonfw said:
How would YOU know ;)  ;D

Since it happened waaaaaaay back in 2002, I'm sure you were still playing with Matchbox cars.  ;)

She says it's from sharing a tattoo needle with Tommy Lee.

It's rare to get Hep C from sexual contact (unlike Hep B), however it has "been detected with greater-than-average frequency among people who have a history of sexual promiscuity -- which can be defined as a history of a sexually transmitted disease, sex with a prostitute, more than five sexual partners per year, or a combination of these."    Which would pretty much describe her and/or her assorted ex-husbands. 

PMedMoe said:
Since it happened waaaaaaay back in 2002, I'm sure you were still playing with Matchbox cars.  ;)

She says it's from sharing a tattoo needle with Tommy Lee.

It's rare to get Hep C from sexual contact (unlike Hep B), however it has "been detected with greater-than-average frequency among people who have a history of sexual promiscuity -- which can be defined as a history of a sexually transmitted disease, sex with a prostitute, more than five sexual partners per year, or a combination of these."    Which would pretty much describe her and/or her assorted ex-husbands.

Hey now, I was only 12 back then... At least I am at the prime of my age right now  ;) hehe
But I did not know that... Guess I do learn something new every day haha

I think everybody knows my view on these things: There are stupid people out there and nothing can save us from them.

However, I have a strange feeling there is more to it here and there may be  a "revenge" factor at play for something that had nothing to do with language.

I note that the event allegedly occurred at the Verdun Hospital, and they also refer to another incident that would have occurred some time early after the PQ election at the Jewish General. This , as they say, does not compute. Verdun is a French/English district with almost a 50/50 split and the Hospital is staffed with bilingual personnel. The nurse may have flown "off-the-handle" because of verbal abuse of sort by this couple and they decided to transform it into a language matter. Similarly, I can't possibly see a problem with the English language at the Jewish General: It is an English hospital, part of the English network of institutions, that also caters to French - oh! and non-Jewish people too of course.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Similarly, I can't possibly see a problem with the English language at the Jewish General: It is an English hospital, part of the English network of institutions, that also caters to French - oh! and non-Jewish people too of course.

Yup, my dad died there and the extent of his french abilities (being an immigrant from England since 1956) was "Honi soit qui mal y asbestos".  I'm not sure where and when he made that up but it cracked me up everytime he'd use it.  They are a super hospital with great, patient staff. Nurses are some of the most patient people in the world, so to manage to piss some off enough to get the boot.. there are probably other reasons than what the complaint is about.

PMedMoe said:
Man shot dead in Florida movie theatre in texting spat

You know, I can almost see the guy's point of view.  I pay to see a movie and not to be distracted by the bright screen and/or noises of someone's cellphone.

We went to see the Headstones in Kingston in December and the kids in front of us kept taking pictures.  Pictures of the bands were one thing, but the "selfies" kept bathing us in the bright light of the flash.  I finally said something to the effect of "Enough with the effing cellphones" and it stopped.  Unfortunately, we left the concert at intermission because the sound was terrible.  :mad:

An update on our cinema shooter:

Cinema shooter claims self-defence after being hit by popcorn

January 15, 2014

Miami: A retired police captain who killed a man after an argument over texting in a US cinema told detectives that he feared he was under attack when the victim hit him in the face with an unknown object, police records show.

The object witnesses saw was popcorn.

On Tuesday, a Florida judge denied bond for Curtis J Reeves Jr, 71, who was charged with second-degree murder in a case that is likely to revolve around Florida's much-debated "stand-your-ground" self-defence laws. Mr Reeves faces life in prison if convicted.

Sydney Morning Herald

Back