• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The "Wanting To Join Another Military" Thread- Them To Us- Us To Them

Sorry Dean22, I don't want to spread oil on the fire but under which plan/benefit/Scholarship/trade the soldier is joining for 10k a year, after all deductions are taken and only during basic training ?

I don't see any 10k per year when using search function at www.army.mil, neither at www.payscale.com and similar websites.

b7197 said:
You must be a Canadian citizen. I am a permanent resident now. I went the CFRC couple weeks ago. They told me "Come back later with a citizenship card."

It looks like there was about a 3 month window in which they were accepting applicants, I would keep trying if it's something you really want. 
I was informed (incorrectly) after I applied in Apr last year that my app was to be stopped due to being a PR, and a year later I'm awaiting my MPAC after being merit listed.
The recruiting staff have a lot to deal with, sometimes it's worth getting a second opinion from another recruiter as they are continually bombarded with policy change and unfortunately you may not always get the correct answer, or more often than not the one you want too hear

Recruiting staff this isnt a cheap shot at you guys, I fully understand the procedures you work too, more of a dig at the Chain of Command which isn't always swift in  passing on info to the bbottom

Criminal records for minor offences don't usually cause a problem as long as you have finished your commitment to the courts. For example you are done your parole or any prohibitions have been lifted or fines paid.  Tattoos are usually ok as long as they are not seen when you wear your #1 uniform. That means none on your neck above the shirt collar and none on your hands. If you do have any then it will be looked at on a case by case basis. That means that either the Commanding Officer of the Recruiting Centre will make the call or they will take a digital photo of it and send it to CFRG.

Never hurts to ask or apply. If you do not qualify the RC will tell you.

Zejames said:
Good day fellow army...people

'Let me introduce myself, I'm a 21 year old dutch private, I serve in the 11th airmobile brigade, 12th infantery "wonju" battalion, and am in active serves for about 3 years now.

Now this is the situation, followed by the question, my...girlfriend, for a while now, lives in Ontario, Canada, now...migrating to another country, without a decent education isnt that easiest thing ever, you need quite some saving and stuff, well...well basicly you need to have some sort of good education, wich I lack. ontop of that, I love my job, quiting it would be...would be hard for me. So here comes the question.

Is it possible to sign up for the canadian army as a forgneir.

I think thats all for now, thanks in advance.

The situation may have changed recently, however, I am also serving in a foreign military and I have been offered a place.  I'm not a Canadian Citizen and I don't have Permanent Residency (PR) yet, although my immigration application is in progress.

I applied in June 2009 and about 3-months later I was given an offer of employment, and waiver of citizenship letter.  I have been told more recently though that there is now a hold on foreign mil recruiting until at least Apr 2010?

British Army said:
The situation may have changed recently, ..........

........  I have been told more recently though that there is now a hold on foreign mil recruiting until at least Apr 2010?

That would match the freeze on DOMESTIC Recruiting in most Trades.

Hi there,
I am new to this forum and am considering joining the reserves for now and possibly transferring to reg force in the future.
I have dual-citizenship and served in the u.s. army for 3 years with a year in Baghdad. I joined up as an artillery man and then trained in infantry before being deployed. My question is, will my time in the u.s. army count for anything when joining the Canadian army? I know it will obviously help me out greatly as I am used to army life and have been through lots of training.
Thanks,
Matt

Honestly I would say no when it comes to TIR, quals etc. You'll start out from scratch.

Your experience however will come in handy for yourself.

If you came from a Commonwealth nation things would be brighter for you.

Welcome, and enjoy this site.

I was at FOB Union III, Al Tahweed, near the former Baath Party HQ in 06-07

OWDU

Thanks,
I was also there in 06-07.. we moved around a lot though. Camp liberty, fob falcon, fob justice, there were a couple more but I can't remember the names at the moment.

Hunter_83:  Chances are your that your basic generic (i.e. "boot camp") qualifications may not count.  However some others may be eligible for full or partial equivalency, provided that you join the CF in your former U.S. Army trade.

Talk to a recruiter about a Prior Learning Assessment and Review (PLAR) for your American qualifications.  Foreign applicants are assessed on a case-by-case basis by Canadian Defence Academy.

Hunter_83 said:
Thanks,
I was also there in 06-07.. we moved around a lot though. Camp liberty, fob falcon, fob justice, there were a couple more but I can't remember the names at the moment.

Hunter, my info is based on pre 1995 info, where I knew two fromer US soldiers, whose TI did not count anything towards their CF time.

Also based on a former Marine, a GWI Vet, who signed up here, and had to start from scratch also. If you can get any RPL, good on ya, and good luck!

I knew Liberty and all those areas around BIAP places quite well (TF Troy, Victory, Aussie Island at 633 etc), plus I remember Falcon's attack in early Oct 06. Al lot of pers from there ended up at Carl Hall over by us, as all their belongings and living quarters were destroyed by the enemy. That was quite a night! Justice on 05 Dec 06 too rings a bell, ha!

Cheers, and again good luck with recruitment.

OWDU

Overwatch Downunder said:
Honestly I would say no when it comes to TIR, quals etc. You'll start out from scratch.

Your experience however will come in handy for yourself.

If you came from a Commonwealth nation things would be brighter for you.

Welcome, and enjoy this site.

I was at FOB Union III, Al Tahweed, near the former Baath Party HQ in 06-07

OWDU

How are things different between commonwealth countries?

Is there a set of rules for military pers transference between countries like what qualifications are kept?

Or are you just saying that because "typically" citizens from other commonwealth countries are treated better then the average foreigner?

My experience is pretty old but when I went through basic Infantry training in Wainwright in '74 we had a Vietnam vet with us and the platoon behind us had a second one. Both were treated the same as the rest of us (training, pay, etc). The only thing different was the second vet was allowed to wear some of his Vietnam medals.

That's another good question I'll have to ask the recruiter.. If any of my medals can be worn on the Canadian dress uniform?

OWDU - That incident at Justice in 06 may have been while I was there. We were only at Justice for 3 months but during that time we had a few mortar attacks and one such mortar hit my room. There were 3 of us in it sleeping at the time, me and another guy only suffered minor scratches and bruises luckily but my friend who was closest to the wall hit almost lost a leg.

Like OWDU and RAFG my info is dated.

Re the qualifications as Haggis said maybe something official can be worked out, see what they offer. Unofficially your experience may count for a lot. When I was a CSM in  a Toronto reserve unit I had several troops with previous foreign military experience including time on the two way range. This was when we were still allowed to recruit landed immigrants for the MO and Toronto has more than its fair share.

Knowing who they were and what they’d done even off the record was something I kept in mind for taskings and potential leadership slots and courses.

As to the decorations at least back then it could be done. One of my troops ha 3 years in the US Army , coincidentally Arty too, including time in West Germany. He had a couple of ribbons and at his request put in the appropriate paper work up the chain to allow him to wear them on his DEUs. As this was pre FYR days and most troops had a CD and maybe a UN gong, this one hook Pte did stick out with a full row. He had a few run ins with the Base RSM at Downsview when he was on Class B there IIRC.

Hull.Down said:
How are things different between commonwealth countries?

Is there a set of rules for military pers transference between countries like what qualifications are kept?

Or are you just saying that because "typically" citizens from other commonwealth countries are treated better then the average foreigner?

If you come from a BCW nation yes you can get RPL (Recognised Prior Learning), if you come from the USA, or other such republics, this may be met with a different outcome. I no of none from the USA that has got it.

I can't speak for Canada, but in Australia, its called a lateral transfer. In 1995, for me, it was classed as a re-enlistment. Australia accepts on a case by case basis former Commonwealth soldiers. (NZ, Canada, UK, etc) for certain trades with citizenship a big carrot to offer. I have seen WOs and SNCOs from the UK come right accross, drop a rank, then get it back with an appropiate period with courses. I came in at the same rank (SGT), kept my rank providing I completed leadership courses with 12 months. This was 1995 for me, and things have evolved for the better.

All my courses and quals (shy of my SLC) were recognised and approved by the then RTC at Bandiana, and now there is a cell just for foreign troops wanting to come accross located at ALTC for EME/RAEME, and other Corps, less Cbt Arms, there they would have cells within their own schools for such.

In 2006 we had a SQN OC fresh from Canada, who had been in country a matter of week, a MAJ, and a veteran of SWA and other deployments. A good asset to the RAAC, and Army. I am sure he has accellerated with Army, and all the best to him. I look at it this way, here you can be someone, and there you can be someone else.

In Australia the rank structure is different, we have PL SGTs instead of WO's and sections are lead by CPLs with LCPLs as 2I/Cs.

I see soldiers with a rack of UK gongs from the Falklands to Iraq and Afghanistan. Kind of wierd to see.

Most of the English are an absolute riot. Some WO's AWOCS'd and get their comissions to CAPT.

Hope this info helps.

For Hunter: Now WRT Justice in Dec 06, I was talking the 5th, the night Saddam was hanged as he was executed there (so we were told anyways). Happy to see you pulled thru.

Regards,

OWDU

Hello everyone.

I've got a few questions. I would preemptively search for them,but I feel that the answers I'm seeking are a matter of opinion. So, here goes:I currently live in the US. I'm closing in on two years until highschool is over,and I plan on going in to a career in law enforcement. (Possible a K-9 unit.) I intend on keeping the job for a while,and I'm currently working both educationally and physically to get myself ready for it. I've joined the Civil Air Patrol in America(Similar to your royal Canadian air cadets),and I'm enjoying it immensely. I have family in Canada,and I plan to move to somewhere near Quebec or Ontario(I've got nothing against America,I just like Canada.) I'm still deciding right now as I still have many years to wait,but I've got a decent idea of what I want.

My question to you is this, if I'm interested in joining the Canadian Forces (Infantry) What should I do to get ready for it? Aside from practicing for my citizenship test of course. Any advice is appreciated.

You are not the first peron to come here and ask how they should prep for the Army/Infantry.. so what does that mean to you.. theres going to be a thread or two with lots of information.. search around for it. Also, I'm pretty sure the process to becoming a Canadian citizen is a bit more than just a test.  As for getting ready to the Military.. easy get yourself in good shape.. many threads on that here. As for how to get Canadian citizen, should be some info here, otherwise google it.

Also, in case you aren't aware of it, you don't just join the Police and become a K9 officer.. you'd have to do x amount of years as a regular officer than you will be able to try out for other things.

You should also be aware that you will have to have your US schooling certified to Cdn standards prior to applying to the military.  This is at your expense.  Make sure to keep multiple copies of your transcripts - which you will need anyway - for the accrediation agency.

I didn't know they certified your education,that's actually interesting. Also,next time I will try searching before posting. I don't really think I'm just going to up and "Become a police guy" in a few month either,this is a long term career choice. I'm just looking for advice on what you guys think would be the quickest and most efficient way to go about it.

Kies said:
I'm just looking for advice on what you guys think would be the quickest and most efficient way to go about it.

When you graduate high school join the US Army as an 11X Infantry. Be the quickest way for you to join the Army, if you come here you gotta go through immigration, and become a citizen to enlist and I don't believe that is a fast process.

Back